hotels at milano central station area

Jun 24th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

hotels at milano central station area

hello
please can milanese citizens or visitors tell the today's crime situation at that area.
i have booked the berna hotel very near the station,there are same confusing reports about the area,so please how safe is it?
thanks
Jun 24th, 2010, 03:39 AM

I wouldn't hesitate to book that hotel traveling alone as a woman, and a friend of mine, also a woman traveling alone, stayed in that area. If you read the reviews on Tripadvisor, you'll see how people reacted to the hotel and the neighborhood.

Around the Milano train station you will see some poor people begging and some prostitute solicitation. Train stations everywhere attract pickpockets, but I assume you know that.

In the streets *behind* the train station -- not in the piazza in front, but back by the train tracks in the rear -- the residents tend to be poor immigrants with tense relations with locals, which has one or twice burst into fights. Just don't go strolling in that area, but it is way out of your way. All the sights of Milan are in the opposite direction.

Otherwise, you will have plenty of company of fellow tourists and business travelers. It is full of many hotels, including expensive hotels. If you decide to go to another part of town for an evening of dinner and wine, take a taxi back to your hotel. But even if you don't, you'll be safe.
Jun 24th, 2010, 03:40 AM

In my own experience it is safe...that hotel is only a short walk from the station. There is a large "square" area in front of the building where you will often find vendors in tents set up selling any number of items and the usual foot traffic which goes with it.

I honestly don't think you have a LOT to worry about...some people think ANYWHERE there isn't a Buckingham Palace sort of situation nearby is "seedy."
Jun 24th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

thank for all the responses.
i will be there with my wife. by the way i am 2 meters tall, black belt in karate and judo....
just kidding.
so no problems arriving from malpensa with the train or bus and walking with the suitcases to the hotel'some 200 meters?
Jun 24th, 2010, 05:33 AM

no problems at all. You will be among many well dressed people carrying suitcases.
Jun 24th, 2010, 09:40 AM

I have stayed several times at LeMeridien adjacent to the central station. I have found it to be convenient and safe and would stay there again. Once trip was with my elderly mother and she felt safe enough to walk to a nearby church for mass.

Search this Thread