Hotel vs apartment in Bologna?

Apr 17th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Hotel vs apartment in Bologna?

We have reservations for a week in a Hotel in Bologna and before I make a payment, I would like to know if this is the right decision or should we rather stay in an apartment. We will be there early July with our two (adult) children (24 & 26yrs). We will be travelling to Parma, Modena etc so will be out most of the day. Our hotel is in historic Bologna.
Apr 18th, 2011, 12:47 AM

Don't know Bologna in particular, but I prefer an apartment for a couple of reasons. One is the kitchen in which we like to keep juice, milk, cereal and coffee for mornings; wine, cheese and perhaps snacks for evening. The other reason is that you'll have a living room type of space for gathering when you're back from your daily explorations. An apt gives you much more space generally than European hotel rooms and I feel you get more value from your money - even though you will have to make your own beds each day!
Apr 18th, 2011, 01:19 AM

I agree with CYESQ. For a week in a city like Bologna, I'd prefer an apartment too.
Apr 18th, 2011, 02:12 AM

The only reason to stay in a hotel for a week, as far as I am concerned, is if you need to avail yourself of the concierge services for things like restaurant bookings and transportation advice.

If you can do this by yourself, by phone or in person, then an apartment might be better, provided you can find one that appeals to you in a good location.

Which hotel did you choose?
Apr 18th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

We have provisional bookings at Best Western San Donato ( our business coleague has booked it for us). I'm trying desperately to find a suitable apartment in historic Bologna with 2 bedrooms and at a reasonable rate.
Apr 18th, 2011, 05:33 AM

Sorry Mo-han, should have said this before. I've checked on the two websites that I have used and they both have apts in Bologna. Try HomeAway Holidays and Ownersdirect.com. Perhaps some others will have additional sites they can recommend.
Apr 18th, 2011, 06:39 AM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationR...a_Romagna.html

No personal experience of the place linked to above, but Tripadvisor offers some other choices. I agree with the overall recommendation to get an apartment. Although Bologna has many worthwhile restaurants, some of the very best food comes from its markets, and since the local food is so rich, eating in a restaurant for every meal can be too much.
Apr 18th, 2011, 09:11 AM

I'll jump in with the same comment. Of all the cities to rent an apartment, I'd put Bologna at the top of the list. The markets are so wonderful, I have a hard time walking through them knowing I can't buy items to take home and cook. Someday I'll have enough time in Bologna to rent an apartment and have some of my meals in.
Apr 18th, 2011, 03:07 PM

Another vote for an apartment. Two years ago we stayed in an apartment for a week and found it very convenient as well as reasonable compared to a hotel. www.viewsofitaLy.com has several apartments located in the same building just off Rizzoli very near the Piazza Maggiore.