Hotel Tramontano: Sorrento

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Tramontano: Sorrento

Any one stayed here before?
Would love to hear about your experiece
Or if you have any lodging suggestions for Sorrento, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 03:51 AM

We stayed there a couple of years ago at Easter when the weather was really cold and wet.

We had a great room that was right on the cliffs over looking the bay of Naples and Vesuvius.

The hotel was fine, it seemed as if there was a nice pool outside with bar area (closed when we were there) as well as a swimming area in the sea at the bottom of the cliffs (closed as well).

The location was good, right in the centre of town, but a quiet area.

I seem to recall the breakfast was buffet style and good.

I can't remember how much we paid.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 05:30 AM

Just looked at their website and it does look nice. I'm looking too. Did you get a price for it? I hate hotel websites which give no indication of price of rooms.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 05:55 AM

On another site I see the room prices for it listed as STARTING at 260 euro per night for a double (presumably garden, not sea-view). For that price I'd probably go to the Bellevue Syrene often raved about here. But actually I'm trying to find something for less than $200.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 06:03 AM
Gino

Patrick,
We stayed at the Hotel La Tonnarella
http://www.latonnarella.it/ in July and really liked it. Beautiful sea views and a great restaurant to boot.
We paid 150 euros for one of the best rooms in the place with terrrace.

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:30 AM

Thanks, Gino. This is one of the hotels I've looked at that are on Via Capo, but I can't get a good feel for the location from the tiny map. Tell me what the walk is like from the center of Sorrento to this hotel at say midnight. How long? Dark road or street? Traffic? Walking in the street or are there sidewalks all the way? I get the impression that there is no continuous street or walkway along the water, but the street it is on curves inland then back out.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 02:53 PM

joannelynn,

We stayed at the Tramontano for six nights in July with our two kids, ages 12 and 15. We had two seafront rooms overlooking the Bay of Naples, which ran about $250/per night. The rooms were medium-sized,quite comfortable, excellent AC, both with terraces, one of which was huge. The view was unbelievable. We really felt like we were right on the water! I chose this hotel over the Bellevue Syrene because it had a pool,(set in a small tropical garden) which we used quite a lot. The hotel also has a tunnel that you walk down to it's private beach, but don't get too excited. The beach is a narrow strip of grainy sand with a stone swimming pier jutting into the water. This is pretty typical of beaches we saw in the area.

We found the location of the hotel ( just up the street from the Bellevue Syrene) excellent. It's about a 10-minute walk to Piazza Tasso ( the main square) and only a few minutes to the old town in Sorrento, which is home to some wonderful restaurants and cafes. We also walked down to Marina Grande, which is a scenic spot on the water where many artists set up for the day.

I really only have two minor complaints about the hotel. The front desk staff was not all that helpful or knowledgeable, and breakfast was mediocre. Other than that, we really enjoyed our stay.

Good luck with your choice!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 04:43 PM

Weadles, you're saying your two rooms were $250 a night each, right?
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 05:48 PM

Patrick,

Yes. Each seafront room was about $250/night. The rooms over the garden and pool were less, but unfortunately I don't have their price list. I did find that when I e-mailed the hotel, they got back to me very quickly, so maybe that's your best bet?

Also, totally off the subject, I noticed that you were trying to find out where Via del Capo is. Via del Capo is a very long street, part of which runs close to Marina Grande, the port that's around the bend from Bellevue Syrene. I'm guessing, depending on the address of the hotel, that it would be about a 20 minute walk to Piazza Tasso, a little less to the old town.

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 06:28 PM

Actually I can see on a map where Via Capo is, but what I'd like is a better idea of the walk itself. Fifteen or twenty minutes along a well lit sidewalk next to a street is fine at night. But along a busy street with no streetlights and no sidewalks is not. I guess that's the kind of information I'm looking for. I don't mind the distance if the walk from those hotels on Capo is "doable" and "easy" several times a day and night.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 10:06 PM

Hi Patrick, don't worry about the road to the hotels on Via Capo. Last year I stayed at La Minervetta and the walk from there into the town of Sorrento is well lit, there are sidewalks the whole way bordering the two lane road. We would walk back after dinner and it was a nice, safe walk with beautiful views. I think that area around La Min. has the best views of all because you have the lights of Sorrento in front of you and then the bay and Mt. V and Naples across from it. At night from our room Naples' lights looked like a necklace around Mt. V.

The road is not right on Marina Grande but above it so the road and the hotels are high enough to get the views. After the road curves around the hill behind the little strip of hotels there are more hotels and residencial areas, so that might be a bit of a walk.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Gino

Patrick,
The walk from the La Tonnarella to town is about fifteen minutes (down hill) along a safe well lit road (up-hill!) going back
I've found that if you want our view in Sorrento, it's not in the center of town. We looked at other hotels that we considered and were glad we picked ours.
I know that you like to walk into town for dinner, but I didn't see anything that looked as good as our hotel restaurant and decided to eat there and were happy we did.-Food and service was great

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 07:37 AM

Again I'll say I wish we could combine these various threads on the same Sorrento Hotel topic.

Thanks to Gino and to Natalia for the very specific description of the walk. That puts my mind to rest. Just didn't want to end up in a place as I've been known to do in the past, where walking on the road at night was putting your life in great jeopardy!