Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

hotel sully st. germain, and le pre-verre, etc. etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just returned from a fabulous, but short stay in paris at the sully st. germain.
it was a good choice. new, but small bathroom and our room 29 seemed to have been recently re-decorated as i believe has been the entire hotel (except for the carpet on the staircase).

there is a laundromat just across and down the street for those asking about that.
-free internet in telephone room.
( nice surpirse i wasn't expecting).

sorbonne, pantheon, notre dame.. all are two-five minute walk away.

buses and metros in immediate area.

breakfast was not included.. but the room it is served in was quaint with original stone walls, as many parts of the historic building.
the lobby and courtyard have been tastefuly remodeled although the staff confessed they liked the sitting room better before.!

only drawback.. the left side of building's upper floors are accessed by the tiniest custom made elevator i have ever seen . it is a two person/ or one person, small bag lift, and i doubt a large suitcase would even fit in it. the trek up a spiral type staircase with a large bag would not be fun.

the rooms accessed by the elevator on right side of building have larger lift.

but the location is great, on rue des ecoles, alongside or near so many of the other hotels mentioned on this site.. the st.jacques, for example.

the first night we ate at le berthoud, up near the pantheon. (two minutes from our hotel).

this is a very cosy bistrot with very well prepared dishes and desserts. the menu was 30 euros. i had a grilled foie over carmelized apple appetizer i hope to learn how to make at home.

we had dinner the last night at le pre-verre( sp.?) and were not at all disappointed.
besides a 25 euro evening menu, the creations of the chef were beyond what we expected in that price range. this is a modern bistrot run by quick moving ambitious young folks who attract a full house every night, so RESERVE.

this is definitely a real find. thank you to whomever posted first and those who reconfirmed its validity.

the four of us tried almost everything offered on the fixe-prix, and my main observation would be the surprising refreshing combinations of flavours/spices.

nothing was too overwhelming.. although the chef does like to use a purée base ( potatoes/lentils/ and other tasty but undecipherable items(for us)) for most of his courses.

the chocolate fondant with coffee ice cream ( yum!!!)was our favorite of the four different desserts.

i will try to post other places we tried, but all in all, the dinner menus were very reasonable for the quality of food everywhere, we felt.

our magical evening was at tour montparnasse at the ciel restaurant/ bar.

what a view. it was a clear night and so awesome to see the sparkle light show of the eiffel tower, on the hour, for the ten minutes. we didn't want to leave.

drinks are about 10-15 euros. But so are fabulous desserts.
it also looks like a wonderful place for dinner. our dessert was spectacularly delicious, if that is any indication. we saw lots of empty plates.

the staff was very courteous and smiley.

we noticed they also serve breakfast for 15 euros. i did not notice the lunch menu price.

this will be an obliged stop for us and friends in future. i encourage you to jump on the metro and go there. it is only a couple stops from most sites.

we were so fortunate with the weather.. very cold but sunny, that the vedettes boat ride was a real treat. (printed a discount coupon off internet) although, i must say, the guide was the most boring one i have ever encountered.

i can only say that thanks to re-reading others' experiences, it helped me decide how best to spend my time and where to eat if we were in a neighborhood.

we have many fond memories thanks to the help received here. thanks to all.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM

nice report !
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
diito, and welcom back.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 02:33 AM

WOW, that's one good hotel review. thanks
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 03:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you had a lot of fun and were happy with your choices. We went to Le Pre Verre last month and really enjoyed it also.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 04:59 AM

I'm so happy that you also liked Pre Verre! We think it's excellent. For another simular choice Cinq-Mars is also excellent. It's a wine bar with excellent food in a very pleasant location and interior. We order la carte, but our bill was 90€ including a bottle of wine for 2 of us. Their address is 51, rue de Verneuil in the 7th. Phone 01.45.44.69.13
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

since i didn't take any notes, places are slowing coming back to me! we visited the "train bleu", to see the spectacular ceiling and room.
we did not stay for a drink as planned because we were not really thirsty and decided to move on. but just being in those huge train stations with all the bullet trains staring at you, makes you want to get on one!

we also had a sandwich/ salad at lina's sandwiches.
nice clean upscale "subway" type place. you choose the meats and cheese and toppings for sandwiches. about 8-9 euros for sandwich and water/beer.

Angelina's was O.K. if you like peace and quiet.. go upstairs.
i am not into crowds, and the place was hopping, which i am sure is the attraction for some. Personally, i think the place is a little overrated, but it IS an icon.
i had been there years ago but never knew its name.

going to the antique stores in the galleries in that neighborhood is worth getting there.

st chapelle... luckily it was sunny so we were really able to enjoy the stained glass. i do think this would be important to keep in mind if you have several days and can choose when to go..

the musee jacquemart andré. this is a fine example of an upper class home . the audio guide is interesting and the café worth the stop, even if you do not want to tour the museum. Lovely large fireplace ( not in use) but old world charm and tranquility .
the garden is a haven hidden from the city bustle.

my husband and brother and s.i.l. lucked into a violin recital in the "Madeleine" while i was at a lunch with french colleague.
!!!! oh well. better luck next time.

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:10 PM

I stayed at the Hotel College de France which is across the street from Pre Verre. I didn't eat there because it was always crowded and I did not appreciate that it seemed like eating inside a fish bowl.

I didn't like the Jackie Andrea Museum (that's what I call it). I couldn't understand why they hid that beautiful Della Robbia medallion in the corner. Those floors needed to be refinished. It seemed most people went there to eat in the cafe.

Thin
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:48 AM

I enjoyed your report.
Have a question: is one able to just stop in Ciel de Paris for dessert, drink, etc., w/o reservations?
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

That's what we did. You may not ( most likely NOT) have a window table right away but each time I have done this, the maitre is very nice to try to accomodate people closer up, first come first served, when he knows that is where everyone wants to be!

It really is magical, especially on a clear night.

A bit tricky to find the door to go into, though, at the base of the building. Seems we walked around the wrong way in the biting wind and FINALLY found out which one. Not very well marked when we went.