Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

hotel suggestion for 6th or 9th district?

Mar 29th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Ellen

Hello,
I am travelling to Paris for the first time at the beginning of May. I'm looking to stay in a 3* hotel for a couple of nights (staying with friend for rest of vacation). I found a couple of good rates in the 9th district. They are at: Les Tres Poussins Hotel, Hotel Williams Opera, and Astotel Georges Opera. I also found one in the 6th district: Acacia St. Germain. Has anyone stayed at these hotels and have any input? Also, are those good locations for a first timer in Paris? We are looking to spend about $100 a night on the room. Thanks.

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Christina

I'm sorry but I've never heard of those first 3 hotels. Generally, the 9th is not a desirable district for a first-timer, no. I would look elsewhere if you can. It's ok if you have no choice or some special deal, but most first-timers (or beyond, problaby) would not choose to stay there. The other's location is okay and good for a first timer. That's a Best-Western hotel, I think, others have commented about it on here, I think I've heard both good and bad things about it, but I cannot say. There are plenty of hotels in Paris around $100, though in good locations -- quite a few in the 7th district, many people like that, and some in the Latin Qtr. There are even a few in the 6th, also. I don't know what else to tell you except you might want to use a guidebook or websites to narrow things down. The guide Great Sleeps in Paris by Gustafson has great descriptions and comments, online wwww.timeout.com also does, for free. Online sites www.hotelboulevard.com, www.parishotels.com and www.france-hotel-guide.com have a decent selection of budget hotels., the last two sites espec. make it easy to search by area.

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Ellen

Why not the 9th district? Just curious. We are mid- 20's and into nightlife, walking around, good restaurants. Thanks for those websites though...those look great Christina!

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Betty L.

I have stayed twice this past year at the Hotel Le Regent in the 6th. The people who worked there were very friendly and helpful. And the location is great for getting around to the different sites.

Mar 29th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Bob Brown

There is a lengthy discussion of the Acacias St. Germain above.
I stayed there 5 nights and summed up my reaction by staying elsewhere the following year, and this year as well.

Mar 29th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Sue

Ellen, I just read this post and thought it might interest you because many young people prefer the Marais district:

Author: ali ([email protected]) Date: 03/29/2002, 11:22 am

Message: hi, just returned from a 7 night stay at the Bretonnerie and we loved it. The street it is on is one of the more popular ones in the Marais district, so there are many, many restaurants, bakeries, stores, and people about. The windows don't let in the noise. The hotel is charming, we had a canopy bed in a nicely decorated room for 108 euros that had a renovated marble bathroom. We are in our late-20's so we found the area to be perfect in terms of casual nightlife for our demographic.

Mar 29th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Christina

Why not the 9th? Well, for one thing, it's a little farther away from the main sites people want to see, so you spend more time traveling to get there. Also, it's an area that is somewhat spotty in attractiveness and ambience. Parts of it are a business section, not particularly charming (big dept stores or train station), and parts of it border on a particularly seedy area (Pigalle and bd Rochechouart to North and NE), and other parts are just not as scenic or attractive as some nicer parts of Paris. Streets are narrower, there aren't as many sidewalk cafes or nice shops, etc., parts are more run-down. Stuff like that.

Mar 29th, 2002, 02:43 PM
elaine

I agree with Christina about the 9th
The southern part of it quite near the Opera is fine, but other parts of it are frequently seedier, dirtier, and less central than areas I prefer to be in