Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Santa Chiara (Rome) Have you stayed here?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2001, 12:25 PM
paul

We are leaving for Rome in 10 days and have a confirmed reservation at the Santa Chiara Hotel. I have read on this web site the majority of people staying here were very happy with their rooms. However several expressed disapointment with their rooms,and were somewhat negitave. Would anyone who has stayed at this hotel and had a great room please let me know the room number and what it offered -view-spacious-quite etc.Any info would be appreciated as I would like to ask for a specific room if possible when we arrive. <BR> Many thanks, Paul

Old May 24th, 2001, 06:06 PM
Ruth

We stayed at the Santa Chiara and loved it. The rooms were small, and not much for view. Bathrooms were very large. We loved the location, walking distance to the Pantheon (2 minutes) and a great place to go at night. Lots of casual cafes. We also walked back roads to the Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona. Real nice breakfast. I would call it a business man's hotel although there were lots of tourists there. Beautiful Church diagonally across.

Old May 24th, 2001, 07:04 PM
liz

Paul, stayed there last August and loved it! We had a big suite that also had a terrace. It consisted of a front room with a queen bed and another bedroom. They also serve a pretty good breakfast, but the location was the best! We think our room was A1. <BR>Hope this helps

Old May 27th, 2001, 01:17 AM
Leslie

Our family of four stayed there last month and liked it very much. The staff were great. We had a spacious quad room (#101) with a very comfortable king sized bed in a separate room from two twins for the kids. Bathroom was very nice marble and new fixtures. The view was pleasant but not spectacular. The furnishings were fine though a bit spartan. The carpeting in our room wasn't the cleanest. The public areas, hallways, lobby, breakfast room were all lovely and the location was great. Excellent breakfast. Do go inside the church - Santa Maria Sopra Minerva on the Piazza there, it's beautiful and Rome's only gothic cathedral.

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Ruth

My guess is that the rooms vary in size. We stayed in a suite (#224) in September 1998, which had two rooms areas, but not the bedroom closed off, with a huge interior terrace which inexplicably didn't have any furniture. One set of traveling companions also had a suite which had one of those glass brick walls between the shower and the bedroom. The other set of traveling companions had a standard room. We didn't see it but have been told it had a queen bed and a balcony. That room was on the second floor, on the right side of the hotel as you face in. The hotel has two sides that are accessed by two different elevators--I don't think it was possible to walk from the second floor on one side through to the second floor on the other. <BR> <BR>Our room was very quiet, since it was located on the interior courtyard. No view of course. Our friends's suite on the street side was noisier, with morning traffic noise in particular. <BR> <BR>The breakfast was ok, not great--bread for toasting, yogurt, cheese, maybe some salami (I can't remember). The staff was helpful and the location was fantastic. We have just decided to go back to Italy this fall and have booked a standard room at the Santa Chiara--I know that there I will get a shower that can is or can be attached to the wall and decent water pressure--the things that become important to us on our travels! <BR> <BR>I'd be interested in your reaction to the hotel when you return. By the way, we ate at Armando al Pantheon, a traditional restaurnat nearby and loved the pasta amatriciana.