Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Rossiya-Moscow to be torn down----but when??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per my other posts, I was getting ready to make reservations for the Hotel Rossiya on Nov 20 for 4 days. But when reading the Moscow Times, I see where the hotel is to be torn down. They do not give a date, but say there is a review of what will replace it on Oct. 10. Does anyone have an idea on when it will be torn down or know any info? I see several local Moscow people come on to Fodors and wonder if they can respond. I was looking forward to staying there but do not want to get to Moscow in Nov and have someone take my money and have no hotel room (or hotel). As usual, Thanks
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 02:59 PM

They are only asking for tenders for 10 Oct. They are still tearing down the Moskva Hotel and have not yet started to rebuild the Intourist Hotel, it will be a while before they tear down the Rossia.

Moscow Times article is at: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/storie...08/11/040.html

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

OK stupid question. What is a tender?
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:14 PM

The submission of proposals of what to do with the site, after that you would have an evaluation of the submissions, The tear-down is a long ways away.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 07:14 PM

In addition to the Rossiya, other large Soviet-era hotels that are scheduled for demolition or reconstruction are the Peking, Mir, Minsk, Kievskaya, Leningradskaya and Sport.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 07:26 PM

The hotel Rossiya in Moscow will be standing in November, but a more immediate problem is that the management is rapidly collapsing, and as a result of hearing of problems upon check in (lost reservations, wrong rates, deposits not recorded, etc.) over the last few months I no longer recommend the Rossiya to clients going to Moscow. Unfortunate, as the location is great and the building itself is not that bad. (Renovations of the other hotels in the center of Moscow have no bearing on the closing of the Rossiya.)

The lack of tourist-class accommodations in Moscow, St. Petersburg and else in Russia is a major hindrance to developing Russia as a tourist destination. Combine that with stunts like the management dispute at the Aerostar in Moscow which resulted in its temporary closing, and it seems that the Russian hotel industry is in for some challenging times ahead.
The lack of tourist-class accomodations in Moscow, St. Petersburg and else in Russia is a major hinderence to developing Russia as a tourist destination.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

MDM, then what hotel do you reccomend in the same area or near at same cost??