Reload this Page >

Hotel Residence Henri IV Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 05:09 AM
Peg

I am considering the Residence Henri IV for an eight night stay in Feb. Has anyone stayed at this hotel? I am curious about the neighborhood, etc. (Elaine, I didn't see it mentioned in your notes, but it is in Cheap Sleeps)They are having a winter promotion for 550 FF per night for a single. Sounds good to me, any feedback?

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 09:56 AM
Peg

Well, since no one has stayed at this hotel, any feedback on the area? It's on Rue des Bernardins in the 5th, near Rue des Ecoles.(I think it's not far from the Familia) I just want to make sure that I book a place where I can walk alone at night and not worry. I stayed in the 7th on my last two trips, and I'd like to get to know another area. Any restaurant recs would also be appreciated! Thanks.

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 10:01 AM
elaine

Peg <BR>Did you see the one positive comment on it at www.paris.org? <BR>I know it's not much

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 11:47 AM
Peg

Thanks Elaine, I did see that and I'm sold on the hotel if the neighborhood is appropriate for a woman traveling alone. I felt very safe walking at night in the 7th, I just don't want to make an error in judgement and be a prisoner in my room at night. I've seen a few areas of Paris where I'd be uncomfortable on the streets alone (at night). Just want to make sure that this is not type of area.

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 01:00 PM
Christina

That's a perfectly safe area, don't worry about that; I've stayed in another hotel around there on rue du Sommerard, and have been in that area some. I prefer other areas that are a little more lively or convenient myself, but it's definitely safe; there weren't as many good restaurants or cafes around there as in the area I usually stay, but that may be my own customs as I've been to Paris a lot so kind of have an area I like and know best. It's walkable to the Seine, Notre Dame, etc. I don't think the Familia is in that convenient an area, myself and wouldn't stay there, but I think rue des Bernardins is a lot better for convenience. It may be a little quiet around there at night, in comparison to the areas like the main drags of St-Germain and the 5th arr. around Sorbonne/Pantheon, etc., but it's not terrible. But if you are used to the 7th, it will be fine, probably similar to that. Partly I don't like the area where the Familia is because it is hilly so takes more effort to walk around or get places; this is not a big deal usually, but when on a vacation and walking around a lot anyway, it's not the kind of location you could dash into or out of in the middle of the day to your hotel, if you wished IMO. However, the Residence Henri IV is in a better location than the Familia IMO, so I think that is a better choice--rue des Ecoles is the street that's kind of hilly, you will be down in the flatter part near bd St-Germain. BTW that bd is not nearly as lively down on the eastern end of it in comparison to the part west of bd St-Michel, but there are still a few restaurants and cafes, more towards bd St-Michel. Place Maubert is nice enough, which is probably where you will use the metro, there is a good cafe just on the south side of it where I ate breakfast, there is a food market there, also, at least once a week; it is kind of quieter and more sedate than the real Ltin Qr/st Germain hot spots, though. Given it is a little quieter and things are farther apart and there is not as much nightlife, I might be a little more leery of walking around alone at night there than some other areas, but it is far from dangerous. Well, actually, I did stay in that area about 4-5 days, so I did do that; it was okay, but kind of quiet past 9 pm, compared to other places I've stayed in Paris, for example, so maybe it depends how late you want to be out and about and what time of year. There's a good, moderately-priced French restaurant, Chez Rene, on bd St-Germain right near there; other than that the famous Brasserie Balzar is up on rue des Ecoles not too far from there (I think it is still open, not sure). You will find several brasseries/cafes that have decent food walking from that location towards bd St-Michel on bd St-Germain. Anyway, it's not a bad area and just as safe as the 7th, I would guess.

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 03:45 PM
Peg

Christina, Thanks for the great information. The area sounds like just what I am looking for. I am a light sleeper so I really don't want the noisy area of the Latin Quarter but I want to be close enough to walk there in the evening for dinner or over to the islands. I know what you mean about the hills, thus I did not choose the Familia or Grand Ecoles. I am studying several guides for restaurants and had Chez Rene on my list, so I'll definitly give it a try. Again, thanks so much for your help! Peg

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Carol

I think the area is really one of the nicer parts of the 5th and very safe. Sounds great to me.