Hotel reservation using Hotels.com

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found a rate for the Palazzo Ravizza ( Siena) in Hotels.com that is approx 30% cheaper, including taxes and breakfast, than the rate in the hotel website. I have never booked through Hotels.com. I would appreciate any comments from those who have. Any problems?

Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM

Be sure to check the cancellation policy and do you prepay using Hotels.com
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Yes,you prepay but they refund payment if you cancel following the hotels cancelation policy (in this case 24 hrs).
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:17 AM

I have used both hotels.com, hotels.de and booking.com. All worked out just fine. Just be sure you have a copy of your confirmation. Most require that you cancel through their website and not directly with the hotel.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Cruiseluv:

I just ran across a similar deal for a hotel in Munich and went ahead and booked/paid for it. So, we shall see.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM

I used Hotel.com to book several hotels last year.
I did not find gotchas, but as other noted, you prepay in full but really there nothing to pay after my stay unless I used mini-bar, laundry, etc. It was a clean accounting process -- contrasting to the U.S. where I expect to get hit with all sorts of fees. The cancellation policy DEPENDS on the hotels. You must examine the cancellation policy for each premise. Don't assume they are all the same.

One hotel did not have my reservation made through hotels.com. The Hotels.com call center claimed they sent it. I requested the reservation to be sent to the hotel again, and the hotel got the reservation. I always check with the hotel directly after making an initial reservation irrespective of how I booked rooms.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:24 PM

The simple answer is Hotels.com is a division of Expedia and booking.com is a division of Priceline.

You can't get more mainstream than that.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:44 PM

For what my two cents is worth. I work in a resort and we get bookings through third parties. Any changes or cancellations must go through them...and this has upset many people when they've wanted to make last minute changes or cancel. There is more room for error because more people are involved. Definitely confirm with the hotel after making the reservation. In my facility they cannot make specific room requests, they are only guaranteed a basic standard room and while we have different buildings and different room types I realize that will not be the case with many European hotels. Personally, I wouldn't book through a third party unless there was a significant discount.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 06:31 PM

I've used it with no problem...I usually book hotels last-minute anyway, so I wasn't really worried about changes or cancellations.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:32 PM

Some, but not all, bookings require payment up front. Many times - but not always - these are nonrefundable but one must read all the details before pulling the trigger.
It used to be that such deals were rooms bought in bulk and then resold by the agency (not unlike airline consolidators) but now many hotels have started offering their own non- refundable advance purchase rates on their own websites.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used them to book a hotel in Assisi this December. I was worried because I had never used a third-party before and the hotel itself had not answered my (separate, initial) reservation request. So after booking with hotels.com I also sent the hotel a confirmation/question email. They replied with "Yes, we have your reservation for two rooms," etc. No problems whatsoever.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 08:21 PM

I used hotels.com a couple of years ago and had to cancel my reservation. I got a full refund back, less an administrative fee - it wasn't much, but there was some cost. Maybe $10 or so. BTW, this was in Vancouver, Canada.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the comments, appreciate the feedback.

I would only consider using a third party if there was a saving and if it is refundable. The idea of then confirming directly with the hotel is a good one.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 03:46 AM

Thanks for the tips. I emailed the hotel in Munich and they have confirmed my reservation.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 04:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; A good thing about www.booking.com is they do not charge up-front. You pay the hotel directly. iris1745/dick
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 06:57 AM

I have used hotels.com but always check rates at bookings.com and venere.com to find the best rate for the hotel I want. All are reputable and any one of them may offer the best rate on any given day. Check amenities offered by each. For example, sometimes breakfast is included on one site and not on another.