Hotel reservation--travelers checks?

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel reservation--travelers checks?

Is it normal for a hotel to reserve a room only if you send them a travelers check? I am used to sending a credit card number to hold the room...should I be concerned if they require a travelers check? Is there any way that could bite me in the back?
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 07:08 AM

I personally wouldn't even both with traveler's checks. Most places don't seem to take them anymore, and the exchange rates aren't as good. You would probably be better off using a credit card or purchasing a prepaid card (check out AAA website for the Passport Visa...decent rates, prepaid, and insurance if lost of stolen).
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 07:17 AM
P_M

I have only done that once when reserving a room at a small B&B that didn't take credit cards. Once they cash the TC you cannot get your money back if the service is not provided, unlike when you reserve with a credit card. In my case there was no problem, but yes, it can bite you. Not sure I'd do it again.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 07:21 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Shle -

I've never heard of such a practice - sending a signed travelers check is like sending cash through the mail. Did the hotel specify which currency they wanted? This sounds really strange to me and I'd proceed with caution. Sure, this kind of thing could backfire in a hurry - no records for one thing - very weird indeed.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 09:50 AM

It doesn't sound that weird to me, if it's a small, cheap hotel. I've had hotels like that require a personal check, so it isn't that different. The hotel could have cashed that also, but they didn't -- just returned it when I arrived as reserved. I imagine they think it easier to cash a travelers check than a personal check or something, maybe their bank has lower fees for that.

Of course it could be bad if you cancel and they cash it without returning it (if that is the agreement). I suppose they could also claim they never got it, although I think there are mail services that require a signature, if you want.

So, I think it depends on what kind of hotel and its level as to whether this is normal, and maybe where. I would never do such a thing for a 3-4* hotel.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 09:53 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34488009
Here is a recent thread re some hotels which require a check for their deposits (though I don't think they specified travelers' checks.)
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 10:35 AM
ira

Hi shle,

Many smaller hotels ask for cash or TCs as the credit card fees are higher for them than for the bigger places.

A TC is not like sending cash through the mail, since it is made out to the hotel. Record the number of the check. If there is a problem, you can work with the check company.