Reload this Page >

Hotel recommendations for Wengen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 01:31 AM
Rajesh Dewan

We will be spending 5 nights in Wengen this summer. Any recommendations on which hotel to stay in are appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks, Rajesh

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 08:18 AM
Karen

In September we stayed at Park Hotel Beausite. Very nice accomodations and dining room, situated a little higher than the town, so we had nice views from our room. Phone011-41-33-856-51-61 or fax011-41-33-855-30-10.

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 04:27 PM
Mary Ann

Wengen is nice, but a little more busy and touristy than you would expect. We stayed over in Murren at th Alpenruh which was terrific with a balcony over looking the Jungfrau. They also own the restaurant on the top of the Schlithorn. They permitted us to exchange our breakfast at the hotel for one on top in the revolving restaurant. It was terrific, and so were the rooms. That area is by far my favorite place in Europe.

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 04:19 AM
Regez Clare

I feel that EVERYONE has been missing the point, especially with the Wengen question....and then reccomending some other town completely. I know we are not allowed to advertise here, but the village of Wengen is simply gorgeous. <BR>The view over the Lauterbrunnen Valley spectacular, and the magnificent, breathtaking views are awesome. But the village itself is small, with charming, wooden style, old,traditional chalets. It is welcoming and friendly, the people who work there and the locals are not burnt out or bored with tourism. The way of life carries on hand in hand with the tourist trade. The safe, family friendly , car free village is so pretty and atmospheric and truely special. Grindelwald is spread out and large and has the hoards and masses bused in. And has no community atmosphere....Murren is far more remote than Wengen, and is much smaller, but also spread out. Wengen has trains running every 20 mins, from about 05.20 - 12.00 for the 15 min. journey. <BR>Wengen has many choices of small family run chalet accomodation as well as a large variety of hotels to suit every budget. Choose Wengen.....I've lived here 15 YEARS and wouldn't change it for anywhere else in the whole world!!

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 07:46 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I agree with Clare---Wengen is a better <BR>location for access to the many sights <BR>of the Jungfrau region. Murren is nice to visit but too remote for my taste.

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 09:27 AM
Ed

Just gotta add my two cents, Bob. It takes 18 minutes to get to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen, 7 minutes more to Muerren. That hardly makes Muerren more remote. More quaint, better views, more and better walks in the mountains ... but not remote. <BR> <BR>Wengen's an excellent second choice, though. <BR> <BR>For Rajesh ... what price range are you looking at? Clare operates an excellent Bed and Breakfast.

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 11:07 AM
Clare

Hello Ed <BR>When were you in Wengen last, and how many times have you been, and where did you stay? <BR>It takes 14 mins to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen, without having to change trains or cablecars,as in Murren. Plus the last connection through to Murren is alot earlier than the midnight Wengen possibility. If anyone is interested in travelling/hiking over the Grindelwald way or visiting the Jungfraujoch then Wengen is bang in the middle, so the choice is greater, rather than being stuck over in Murren. <BR>

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 11:10 AM
Clare

If someone wishes to visit Wengen as THEIR first choice, and asks specifically for recommendations for accomodation there, then why is everyone trying to persuade poor Rajesh he should go else where?