Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel recommendation for Mont St. Michel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Julie

We plan a night on MSM in 2 weeks. I've looked at previous postings for reccs but there arent any recent ones. Any suggestions? thanks!

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 04:30 PM
jahoulih

I spent a night at the Hotel de la Digue last year. It's not on the Mont, but just at the other end of the causeway, within easy walking distance. Both the hotel and the restaurant were pleasant and inexpensive.<BR><BR>www.ladigue.fr

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 04:33 PM
jahoulih

Oops - I just checked the website I cited above. The Hotel de la Digue closed for the season on Nov. 3. I hope someone else will have a recommendation.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:45 PM
TA in Dallas

I booked my clients into a hotel which is part of the Relais du Silence chain called Manoir du Lys. it is about an hour's drive from Mont St-Michel. They loved it -- said it was the best hotel of their entire tour. If you cannot stay on the island overnight, there' s no reason to be any closer, is there?

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Fred

On St Michel:<BR><BR>Hotel du Mouton Blanc<BR>Grand Rue <BR>50116 Le Mont St Michel<BR>France <BR>Tel: 011-33-2-33-60 14-08 <BR><BR>Two that are very close - just a couple of miles away:<BR><BR>Le Gue Du Holme<BR>St. Quentin-sur-le-Homme<BR>France<BR><BR>Le Moulin de Ducey <BR>Ducey<BR>France<BR><BR>You can also contact the Tourist Office there - ask for a listing.<BR>Office de Tourisme<BR>50116 Le-Mont-Saint-Michel<BR>France<BR>Tel: 011-33-2-33-60-14-30<BR>Fax: 011-33-2-33-60-06-75<BR>For Paris information go to www.anamericaninparis.com

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Rex

We recently stayed at Gue du Holme on our September (2002) trip to Normandy/Brittany. I think you can do better, but I suppose you could do worse.<BR><BR>It's about 5 years old, and pretty much cookie-cutter soul-less. Service was downright bad at breakfast. We were there on the one night their restaurant was closed for dinner (we knew this in advance), but we were surprised that this meant no staff there of any kind from the minute we arrived (about 6:45 pm; they locked up the front office right after we arrived) until about 7:30 the next morning.<BR><BR>It's a VERY, very small town with one pizza place (satisfactory), and one tiny little grocery store.<BR><BR>If I had it to do over again, I might have give consideration to staying in St. Lo or Cancale.<BR><BR>We also considered staying at this place, but waited too late, and they didn't have availability:<BR><BR>http://www.mt-st-michel.net/htmlsite/therooms.html<BR><BR>Last of all, there is a very luxurious place which has been cited here more than once before. Worth looking into. Maybe someone else can remember the name.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 05:13 AM
uncle sam

jahoulih<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>I just got the confirmation back from a hotel on the Mont and they wanted almost 200 euros. Will no confirm...as we looked at this website you provided and and it appears to be a very nice hotel within easy walking distance of the Mont and the price is only...60 euros. I'll have a nice bottle of french red and toast you while we are there ;~)<BR><BR>US

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Gina

Only a couple weeks ago we stayed right on Mont St. Michel. We loved our hotel, Auberge Saint-Pierre, which has rooms from, I think, 88 euro to 122 or something like that. Our suite was fantastic and staying there and taking walks after all crowds left and early in the morning before another groups arrived was unforgettable. I just checked my notes and here is hotel's phone 02 33 60 14 03 and fax 02 33 48 59 82.<BR><BR>Here is what we wrote about this place in our trip report<BR><BR>Our hotel, Auberge Saint-Pierre, has a reception on rue Grand but the way to our quarters was a steep walk followed by 49 steps on different levels. Our room was located on the third floor of a half-timbered, small house with even more steps to climb. It was a suite of a bedroom and living area, small but built with exposed beams and one window looking East over the tidal plain and down on many other stone houses, slate and tile roofs.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Patrick

Gina, sounds like you had the exact same room we had there. Wasn't it magical? I've often expressed that you haven't experienced Mont St. Michel unless you've stayed there at night after the day trippers have left and the island turns into a very special place. <BR><BR>Incidentally, because of all the stairs we left our luggage in the car. The hotel assured us the main parking lot is well patrolled at night and there have been no problems with stealing. We just took a few things up to the room for the night. On the other hand, the hotel offered to send someone down to our car to bring up all our luggage if we wanted. I suppose to be fair, we'd have felt we had to tip them about a $100 after all those stairs!!!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 06:28 AM
DJ

Does the Hotel Auberge Saint-Pierre have a website?<BR><BR>This sounds like the place I've been looking for. Thanks.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Wendy

Question for Gina or Patrick:<BR>The Auberge Saint Pierre sounds intriguing. We will be traveling in June with our two children (15 and 10). Do you think the suite you mentioned could accomodate us? Does the livingroom have a foldout couch or room for a cot? Adjoining rooms are difficult to find and staying in two rooms becomes very expensive. I am always looking for alternatives. Thanks for your input.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Patrick

If Gina's room was indeed the same one we had, I think she was being generous calling it a &quot;suite&quot;. We had a tiny seating area with two chairs as part of the room. No place for two extra people, but it was a beautiful spot.<BR>I believe they do have some family accomodations though as they have rooms scattered around the mount. You might do a Google search for Auberge St. Pierre. I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures and other information on websites, but don't recall if they have their own website.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Terry

Wendy - In June 2000, we stayed at Auberge St. Pierre. Our room for four was in the same building as reception - on rue Grand. I do not have my notes with me, but I don't think we paid more than $125 US.<BR><BR>Our room consisted of a queen size bed, with dresser, desk and TV, and our kids had two twin beds in the loft room above us. <BR><BR>The bathroom was large, attractively tiled, with full tub and shower, and had a hair dryer. <BR><BR>We loved staying on the Mont overnight. We had dinner at La Mere Poulard's and watched the tide come in in the evening. Watched people run to move their cars, even a sightseeing bus, from the lower parking lot before they were washed out to sea.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Wendy

Thanks so much Patrick and Terry! I really want my family to experience the magic of MSM that is so hard to feel when surrounded by throngs of tourists. Spending the night at Auberge Saint Pierre might just do the trick. The accomodations Terry described would be perfect. Thanks for the help.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 10:00 AM
uncle sam

For those that have been there, I have a question:<BR><BR>If you stay at a hotel across the causeway from Le Mont can you walk there in the evening and then walk back acroiss the causeway later in the evening?<BR><BR>IOW, enjoy the ambience of the place at night and then pay 1/2 the price!<BR><BR>US<BR>

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 10:13 AM
jahoulih

US:<BR><BR>That's just what I did. I had dinner at the hotel and then walked over, took the nighttime tour of the Abbey, and then walked back. Even at night, the island was still pretty crowded with tourists (this was in August).

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Gina

I agree with Patrick. Staying on Mont St. Michel at the Auberge Saint-Pierre was magical.<BR><BR>I don't think we stayed at the same room where you stayed, Patrick. Our suite had two separate rooms and one of them (in the front)we used as sitting room. Our bedroom had a large bed and our living room had two single beds and a sofa but I don't know if it was a sofa-bed. It would be a very comfortable accommodation for four people. Our room was on the third floor and there were no other rooms on that floor.<BR>We also took our chance and left most our stauff in the car.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Julie

hOW wonderful!! You all have been so helpful. I'll definitely try for that hotel - hope they are open for business in November!!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Lisa

I will be taking a tour of Paris and the Provence this April. I have always wanted to visit MSM but I am not sure if I can manage it this visit. Please let me know if you think that this will work:<BR><BR>We will be landing in Paris at approx. 9:00 AM Thursday morning. We have to join our tour by 6:00 PM Friday evening. Would it be worthwhile to go directly to MSM from the airport on Thursday and stay overnight, and then get back to Paris by late afternoon on Friday? Is this too much traveling for one night?<BR><BR>Also, how would you recommend that we get to MSM from Paris?<BR><BR>Thanks to anyone that can help!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Sue

Lisa, as nobody has answered your question I'll give it a stab.<BR><BR>It's a 4 hour train trip from Paris to Pontorson, where you would take a cab to MSM. Are you sure you would want to do this the very day you arrive, jetlagged and tired? And then do the same thing again the next day? Have a good trip to France.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -