Hotel recommendation for Grenada, Spain?

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel recommendation for Grenada, Spain?

Anyone have a recommendation? Two 30-something women traveling and looking to do a lot of sightseeing. Don't need a lot of amenities, but cleanliness and convenience are a must. Probably looking at a mid-price option.

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM
yk

I stayed at the Best Western Dauro II last year. Not a lot of charm, but clean, convenient, and pretty cheap.
http://www.hoteles-dauro.com/en/granada-hotels.html

Here's my review:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...omment-1545416
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:06 PM

Be sure to spell it correctly in your searches.

Granada
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM
yk

A quick search here brings up many recent threads with suggestions:
http://www.fodors.com/search/results...=granada+hotel
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Yep -- saw I misspelled it right after I posted and didn't know how to fix it!

Thanks, YK!
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM

We really liked Hotel Anacapri. Great location, lovely lobby, hearty breakfast, helpful staff.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 05:27 PM

we stayed at Casa Morisca - lovely , small hotel. We walked up hill to Alhambra.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 06:15 PM
pdx

Can't recommend it as we haven't stayed yet, but we're reserved at Hotel Presidente. Averaged out to $75/night.
www.hotelpresidentegranada.es
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 07:08 PM

Maribel recommended this lovely place & I recommended it to my friends who loved it (and the very helpful owner too)
I have not yet been but it is on my list..
check out the reviews on Trip Advisor too.

http://www.alcubilladelcaracol.com/index_en.htm
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM

I just booked a night at Hesperia Granada as recommended in another thread. I think it is a small room, but we won't be there much and it was only 75 euro. In March, they are also including a free breakfast.

http://www.hesperia.es/hoteles/Hesperia-Granada/
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:02 PM

A few years ago, I stayed at the Hotel Molinas in Granda. It was very close to the Alhambra. At the time it was the narrowist hotel in the world. Very clean and comfortable.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 12:36 AM

Hi cmlyons!

I think you'll fall in love with Granada City just as I did.

Really, it's right at the top of my list for enchanted places with a small-town-feel in a big city, particularly around the old town and the Albaicin-Albayzin & Sacromonte areas. So pretty, so quiet, and with some beautiful views of the Alhambra - both during the day but especially at night, all illuminated. I can't wax poetic-ly enough about Granada. I love it. And can't wait to go back this spring.

So, you're looking for a mid-range place with few(er) amenities. There are many. What's your mid-range price? 100 Euros per night? 60 Euros per night? 150 Euros per night? 2, 3, or 4-stars?

I've stayed in a few "hostales" as well as 2 hotels and one apartment in Granada City, have visited/toured many others so I have a pretty good feel about what's available and how they look, which are the best locations, ecetera.

This last visit I stayed at a 1-Star hotel called Hotel Carlos V (web: http://www.hotelcarlosvgranada.com/ ), well-located in the quiet and often overlooked Realejo neighborhood. While a 1-Star hotel doesn't call one's attention much, this one is surely on its way to being a 2 or 3-star hotel soon because it's been completely renovated in the last few years. It's only on the top floor of a building and used to be a "hostal", has key-card doors, modern rooms, Wi-Fi internet, and a covered balcony with tables/chairs in the common area. And since it's on "high ground", most of the rooms' views are overlooking the city. A double-room is 79 Euros per night but they have March specials right now but I don't know when you're going.

Enjoy Granada! I *KNOW* you will.

Saludos, GranadaMan @ you-know-where!
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 12:45 AM

I never do gyrations to obtain a hotel, but I did for the parador in Granada. It is inside the Alhambra and it is one of the hardest rooms to secure. Our room looked out over the gardens with the Sierra Nevadas in the background.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 04:07 AM

http://www.hotelguadalupe.es/en/pric...n-granada.html

here's a link to the hotel we stayed in in November ?06 when they charged us €60 a night for a large double with a nice big bathroom. it's right opposite the alhambra and it's an easy 10 minute walk down to the town or you can catch the bus from outside the alhambra ticket office. More importantly, you can catch it back up from the square at the bottom of the hill every 10 mins til about midnight.

it was very clean and friendly, and the food [we had supper there after seeing the alhambra at night] was very reasonable and spanish - oxtail stew as I recall!

regards, ann
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 04:07 AM

I thought staying near the Alhambra was a good idea, but it is at the top of a very large hill you have to get back up every night. Apparently there is a bus, but we just grabbed a taxi. The better idea would have been to get a hotel with a VIEW of the Alhambra at night. They light it in such a gorgeous way. I don't have specifics for you, just letting you know a hotel next to or near the Alhambra is not a necessity. When we travel we put location above most else and it is not necessary in Granada.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM

kelliebellie - there's a bus, [see above] €1 each way.

i agree that a hotel with a view of the alhambra woudl be nice, but probably at a price. Maribel - where are you when we need you?

regards, ann
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Hi ann,
Right here! I think staying up on the Alhambra hill is actually a GREAT idea these days if you have come to Granada in a rental car. Downtown and a vehicle nowadays simply are not a pleasant mix but rather stress inducing for the uninitiated because of the streets now closed off to everything but local traffic and the dearth of parking garages. And the red mini bus system works extremely well and still costs just 1 euro.

But if you come to Granada by plane, bus, train, there are a number of nice options if you do want to be in the bustling downtown area. I've written a lengthy file on Granada with a number of personally "inspected" hotels in all price ranges that you might want to use for your planning. It's in pdf format at www.maribelsguides.com

The hotel reviews include a lengthy explanation of the guest house, the Carmen de la Alcubilla del Caracol, which is just lovely, but may not suit everyone.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Meant to add that there are now 3 hip and stylish Room Mate hotels in downtown Granada-the Shalma in the quiet Realejo district (which is an area that I do like downtown), the Leo, just south of the cathedral and the Migueletes in the lower section of the former Arab quarter, the Albaicín (often spelled Albayzín).
These offer a low rate (the Shalma and Leo can be had for under 100 euros), plus free Wi Fi, plasma TVs, apples and buffet breakfast served until noon included in the rate.
They appeal to a younger demographic and provide a good value.
www.room-matehoteles.com
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions!!! Great and thoughtful responses all!