hotel recomendation in London - please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have checked Trip Advisor and nothing is jumping out. Would like a hotel in London for mom and 2 teenage daughters central to sites and around or under $350. per night - any hidden gems anyone can tell me about!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated - this is for late August 2006. Thanks!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 07:58 AM

There have been previous recommendations on this forum of triples and quads in London. The seach function might help you find these.

We visited London in March - 2 adults and our teenage daughter, and stayed at the Holiday Inn Mayfair. We will return there again in late August. The hotel has rooms with 2 double beds - more typical of an American set up, so if 2 of you can share, it might work.

You cannot beat the location of this hotel - in one of the most upscale of London's neighborhoods, within walking distance of fabulous shopping and theatre. Tube and bus lines are less than a block away.

The hotel is quite reasonable - we are paying, on average, £135/night for the three of us. The rooms are very tasteful and understated.

Here is my trip report from March. My description of the hotel is towards the beginning:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34771547
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 08:04 AM

I strongly recommend the Westland Hotel near the Bayswater and Notting Hill tube stations. The hotel has enormous rooms, a great breakfast, a great shopping neighborhood and is right across the street from Hyde Park. There's even a laundromat a few doors down and every kind of eatery you can imagine.
We have stayed there twice and hope to again someday.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 09:04 AM

I've also stayed at the Westland and can recommend it. They have doubles & triples, and it's one of the few places left where a full English breakfast is included in the price. You can also opt for standard, superior or delux rooms.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Sorry my post got away from me before I could give you the website.

www.westlandhotel.co.uk
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Here are some links to previous threads re: London hotels for families with teens/children:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34819851

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34820391

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34826539
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Knightsbridge Green <http://www.thekghotel.co.uk/>
Wonderful welcome, fantastic location, and just steps away from Harrod's. They don't have a breakfast room, so bring it to your room. I was a woman in London on my own, and I felt very safe here.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Hi flycatcher06,

We are a family of four that just returned from London. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Kensington (100 Cromwell) for 2 nights at 96 and 100 gbp a night.

Great location. The tube is just across the street and it is a very nice part of town.

I don't know if you'd be able to get the rates that I got since you are getting close to leaving, but it's worth a look. I went to the website and booked it. I also had to pay in full once I booked. Lastly, it is non-refundable if you cancel.

I didn't really like that, but the price was right and it all worked out for us. Note; the rooms weren't very big, but most in Europe aren't anyways.
One exception was our room @ Heathrow-the Sheraton Skyline. Our room was quite big and very nice.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:38 AM

In September, my mother and I will be staying at The Rubens at The Palace which is on Buckingham Road across from you guessed it....The Palace. They get good reviews and also offer a nice Theater Package. I suggest giving their website a look.

http://www.rubenshotel.com/

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Another vote for the Rubens! We loved the location and the charm of the hotel and staff. It could not have been more perfect for us.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:22 PM

What about an apartment? You can get a 2 bedroom for $350 or less per night. We like to have a living room and kitchen to spread out a bit.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Also recommend the Rubens. Have stayed there twice and really like the location, staff, food, etc.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

i am leaning toward the holiday inn because of the location however some people complain about it being slightly run down and small - i read your trip report but just want to make sure. The Knightsbridge Greeen does not have anyone on the dsk during the night is that correct? Anyways any suggestions would be really great.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:50 AM

topping, so I can find my info and post in a bit.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 05:02 AM

Oxford Hotel

13-14 Craven Terrace Lancaster Gate
London, England W2 3QD
United Kingdom

My parents and I stayed here in a triple in May. The location was great. I found it on expedia for about $130/night. I wouldn't write home about how charming it was, but the location (within walking distance of Paddington Station and Hyde Park) couldn't be beat, and there was a fantastic Italian restaurant about two doors down that was divine.

I post with the entire address because I think there are two "Oxford Hotels" in London and one got poor reviews online whereas this one got good reviews. Want to make sure you book the right one!

--MP

(By the way, it was $130/night plus tax--but price was USD, not British pounds--just to clarify.)

another resource: www.venere.com for european hotels and www.ratestogo.com for last-minute room reservations at more expensive places.

Hope all this helps!--MP
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 05:21 AM

flycatcher, I'll see if I can paint a picture of the Holiday Inn Mayfair. It was not a bit run down. I asked at the desk for a room that had been renovated, and they said that all the rooms have been redone. The lobby was elegant and the rooms quite tasteful. All the finishes and fabrics were new. I think the bathroom was all white marble. The hotel really doesn't give off a 'chain hotel' vibe.

I wish I had pictures of the room (I'll try to remember to take some when I'm there next month). It was not huge but we were plenty comfortable, especially for the limited amount of time we were in the room (although a few times we got captivated by some hilarious or interesting show on the television and ended up with a later than planned breakfast!)

There was a little table area with chairs on the window side and a desk next to the TV across from the beds. One suitcase went on top of the desk. The closet/wardrobe was quite roomy, with sliding doors; you can put a suitcase on the raised bottom of each side. I put our tote bags/backpacks in the corners, and we still had the main part of the room clear.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:55 AM
TC

http://www.londonperfect.com/

Beautiful apartments in London, Kensington area.