Reload this Page >

hotel rec for como, pisa, rome & assisi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 07:16 AM
liza

Hi! I'd like to know if you have any hotel recommendations for Como, Pisa, Assisi and Rome. I am looking for a moderately priced hotel. <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Marilyn Ham

In Assisi we love the Hotel Umbra. It's a wonderful, old place with friendly people and good food in the heart of Assisi. I know it has an internet site associated with the city of Assisi, but I don't recall the address. We also like the Hotel Alimandi in Rome (they also have a site). The Alimandi offers an airport van service as well. Both are well priced for the quality received. Marilyn

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Phyllis Stein

Liza, I heartily second Marilyn's suggestion of the Umbra. you can learn more about it here: http://www.venere.com/it/assisi/umbra/ <BR> <BR>The Umbra was where I spent my very first night in Italy (1998) and I'd love to return. www.initaly.com says this about the hotel: <BR> <BR>"One of the loveliest (and best-known) establishments in town, it is actually several houses joined together around a shady garden. Rooms are quiet and furnished with antiques, and there's a wonderful restaurant. Open mid-March to mid-November, and from mid-December to mid-January. Address: Via degli Archi 6, 06081 Assisi (tel. 011-39-075-812-240)." <BR> <BR>In Rome, I was very happy with the Duca d'Alba. It's close to ancient Roman sights like the Colosseum and the Forum, if that area appeals to you. <BR> <BR>Wherever you hang your hat, have a great trip! <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Walter

PISA: Author: Paulo ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 6/20/2001, 10:52 pm ET <BR>Message: [Snip]..We stayed at the Royal Victoria, Bev. This is a 3-star that overlooks the river Arno. The maximum rate for a triple is Lit 200,000, including breakfast. If you have a car, they've got a garage for Lit 30,000. <BR>http://www.royalvictoriahotel.it/en-testa.htm The hotel is housed in an historic medieval building and is in business since 1839 (always with the same family). When we were there in the summer of 97, the hotel conveyed (at least to me) a somewhat sad (kind of nostalgic?) feeling. I could "feel" what the hotel must have been till the first half of this century, being the most important in the city with celebrities, members of aristocratic families and big-shots of business and entertainment, meating and chatting in the several public halls, some of which impressively grand. On the other hand, I couldn't avoid feeling sad for the strugle of the family in keeping up with it. They were restoring some public rooms and it was evident they were doing it with a lot of sacrifice (in July I don't think the hotel had more than 20% of its capacity taken). It was strange to see those grand public rooms just about empty. <BR>The atmosphere of the hotel is rare/unique, because of its old-fashioned size, ornate ceilings and original very fine furniture. On the other hand, the style is quite austere. <BR>Rooms are not air conditioned (at least they weren't in 1997). In case you're travelling in summer a word of caution may be in order. If one has to keep windows open (to let the air vent through the shutters), rooms overlooking the river may be noisy till about 1am (one can hear the street chat). One should consider taking a room in the back (at the expense of a very nice view of the river). The austere sleeping rooms/bathrooms are spacious and were spotlessly clean. <BR>The "fodorite" I know who used it last (this year) is Walter (paradiselost). Maybe he's got a word or two to add. Paulo <BR>Author: Walter ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 6/21/2001, 3:39 pm ET <BR>Message: Bev: Sorry no AC at the Royal Victoria, unless they put in window units for the summer but I doubt it. I stayed there in Mar01 so AC wasn't an issue for me. Paulo responded to my hotel search post and recommended this hotel. I checked-out their website and booked it for 2 nights with a request for an top floor front facing (Arno view) room which I received. I agree with Paulo's post on the hotel. The hotel has seen better days but it is so unique, I think people would either love it or hate it. I loved it, the furniture was antique (bed, dresser, freestanding closet) and the rooms very large. Actually I had 3 rooms, you enter into what I assume was a sitting room with the bathroom and bedroom off of this room. The ceiling is so high there were windows above the door between the sitting room and bedroom. The rooms are clean but do show their age, the walls are whitewashed and the furniture well worn. I believe it is the only hotel in Pisa that is on the Arno. I would stay there again except if I needed AC, I loved the river view, the hotel's uniqueness and the staff was so very friendly. HTH Regards, Walter <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Helen Donegan

Hi Liza <BR>I had heard good things about the Umbria Hotel in Assisi - especially the restaurant. Then someone wrote on this board about the rooms being in need of refurnishing etc. <BR>Someone from fodors asked me to go and check it out for them - unfortunately I couldn't see a room as they were all occupied. <BR>The reception and ground floor looked fine. However rebuilding is going on all around it (not the hotel itself, other buildings)and there is scaffolding as you approach the entrance so it is a bit off-putting

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 09:26 AM
Curt

In Como, I can highly recommend the Barchetta Excelsior, right on the lake front square of Como. Rooms are very nice and if possible get one with balcony and lake view. Very nice hotel with easy access to lake for ferries, etc. Lots of good eating around the hotel as well as shopping. Hotel also has covered car parking available if you are driving. <BR> <BR>In Rome we were very happy with the Hotel Rex on Via Torino. Good location not far from main train station but far enough to be out of the seedy area of station. Wonderful rooms, good eating in area, easy access to all of Rome. <BR> <BR>Both hotels are classed 4 star and live up to the rating. I recommend them both with no qualms whatsoever.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 09:22 PM
Graziella

Hi, Last APril because all 3 and the one 4 sars hotels were full in Pisa we stayed at Hotel Villa Primavera, it turned out to be a great buy: Only 120.000 for a double room, including a simple breakfast and parking. It is located a few b locks from the Tower of Pisa in a remodeled villa, nice , big room, very clean, nice bathroom, tv, etc. It is a good two stars, family owned hotel , I would stay back there gladly. <BR>Via Bonanno Pisano, 43 <BR>050 23537 <BR>http:www.CSINFO.IT/Villa Primavera <BR>E mail [email protected] <BR>&gt;

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 08:56 PM
liza

Thanks for taking time out to answer my questions. I am now looking in to the hotels that you recommended? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>liza