Hotel or Pensione or ? Emilia Romagna

May 23rd, 2006, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Hotel or Pensione or ? Emilia Romagna

Parma? outskirts? Modena? We fly to Linate and will be picking up a car. We are two adults with two & and 4) KIDS. We wil be on oour way to Firenze, but we would like to just drive a bit and stay somewhere interesting. If not for the kids, we would just wing it, but at least for the first night it would be great if we could have a nice place with food and just relax. Any ideas?Thanks
Barbara Murray
May 23rd, 2006, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

correction-- we have two children, one 4 and one 7.
Cheers,
b
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Parma and Modena are very 'doable' cities, partly traffic free in the city centers. They are both easily acessible by train, they are on the direct train route to florence and very family friendly and safe cities with a small feel. Food is awesome (!) in both places.

I would NOT got somewhere else, unless you may want to go to the sea coast (Liguria). And I thus would not take a car, exactly because of the kids.
Jun 26th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi, late as it may be, we have to use the car, as we are required not only to travel to Chianti, Genova, and Florence itself, but after that we must meet friends in France.
Believe me, I would rather not drive, but under our current situation, it is the only thinkg that makes sense.

The weird thing is that about 15 year ago A(and no, I can't believe it) My husband and I drove around with no direction from Linate and stopped in a small place in Emilia/Lombardy area Called "Giulia"
There was an in with a lovely rest. Small place, and If we could only remember how to get ther we'd book it.
Problem is, there are alot of hotels called ?Giulia? as well as the venezia section.
peace
Barbara
Jun 26th, 2006, 07:57 PM

I would suggest taking a trip to Ravenna, which is not that far from Milan. Ravenna is overlooked by tourists. It was the capital of the Roman Empire in the 5th century, and has some real Byzantine treasures, most particularly the priceless mosaics in the Church of San Vitale (I have read that Gustav Klimt's work was heavily influenced by the mosaics he saw here at San Vitale).

Ravenna is also where Dante, the father of the Italian language is buried, and there is a Dante museum nearby. It is a pretty town, with good restaurants, good shopping, and beaches very nearby. If you will be there before the end of August, there is a cultural festival of events going on in July-August. Also, free bikes to go around town with available at the tourist office.

In short, Ravenna's got everything to commend it except an overload of tourists.

Search this Thread