6 days between Florence and Milan- what to do

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a middle aged woman who will spend 2 weeks solo in Florence in late June doing my first Italian course. This trip was postponed and shortened following a family medical problem. I have 6 days from the time my course finishes until I depart Italy from Milan. I would like suggestions for how best to fill in the 6 days. I would prefer to keep the travelling in one direction, and choose areas which are beautiful to experience and not too hard to travel in for a solo woman.

Thanks in advance.

Irene
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:46 AM

Irene,
will have you car or not when you leave from Florence to begin to travel to Milan ?

Vincenzo
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

I will not have a car, but will be using trains.

Irene
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:48 AM

If you are interested in seeing other cities, you could stop in Bologna or Ferrara for a few days and then Verona. these are not exactly in a straight line from Florence to Milan but generally in the right direction.

From Bologna, Ravenna with its spectacular mosaics is a great day trip even if it does take you out of the direct line of travel.

You could certainly get out into the countryside more easily with a car if you will have one.

I am sure other people will be able to give you advice on the Lake Garda area

Heading in a completely different direction, you could go west to Pisa from Florence then along the coast and visit Cinque Terre. You would want to find a place to stay as soon as possible
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:21 AM

Oh, so without car my suggestions are: Bologna, Imola, Cesenatico, Forlimpopoli, Salsomaggiore Terme, Ravenna, Bellaria, Rimini.
Bologna because it is the main town, it is a big town, deserves a visit and from its railway station there are many chances of smart daily trips (Modena, Parma, Ferrara).
Imola because it is small enough, very pretty and well located for daily trips in small hilltowns by public buses.
Cesenatico because one of prettiest beachtown of Romagna, full of life, gorgeous restaurants and good point for daily trips to Ravenna, Ferrara, Rimini and other small towns.
Forlimpopoli because of the period. You cannot miss the Festa Artusiana in Forlimpopoli. It will be in Forlimpopoli in the period June 21 - 29 and it is a nice and amazing way to have delicious dinners at good price and enjoy the festival and learn alot about Italian cooking. At least, one night you should be there.
Salsomaggiore Terme because a spa, elegant, relaxing and good daily trips (Parma and its surrounding area)and good shopping, also.
Ravenna because its mosaics are unique in the world, his historical center is very interesting and it is full of life, and easy dai trip to Ferrara.
Bellaria, because a cute beach town.
Rimini because it is a very nice town and good for dinner and day trips in each one of the place that I mentioned above.
Feel free to ask me more and e-mail me if I can help you better and more.

Vincenzo
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:03 AM

irenen - what school are you using?

Old May 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Irene,

I would choose to spend time in Ravenna, Bologna, Lucca, and Parma. I haven't been to these places, but they've been on my list for a long time!

Have a great time!!
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Have you been to Venice? You could take the train from Florence to Venice and then from Venice to Milan. I also enjoyed Padova very much. I can also highly recommend Ravenna as a day trip from Bologna.
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Wow, great replies. Thank you all so much. To answer MomDDtravel, I am doing the Italian course at the Koine school in Florence. I have read good reports about it.

Vincenzod, I might take you up on your offer of further advice, once I have digested everything so far.

Irene
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM

Irenen - what accomadations do you have?

I am taking dd there in Oct...
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

I have no accommodation yet. I am doing home stay and the School will send me details in a couple of weeks.