Hotel or Apartment in Rome

Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel or Apartment in Rome

Thank you to everyone who has posted information on this topic. I have gleaned alot from reading the various threads. My husband and I will be in Rome for 4 nights in July. It sounds like Campo Fiori is the neighborhood for us since we prefer a quieter neighborhood. The more I read, the more I like the idea of an apartment. Does anyone have a favorite in this neighborhood? The choices appear endless on sleepinitaly.com We are open to the idea of a small, boutique type hotel as well. Price per night in the range of 100-120 euros per night if possible, but we are OK going higher if necessary. Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM

>>It sounds like Campo Fiori is the neighborhood for us since we prefer a quieter neighborhood.<<

Yes and no. Avoid anything that is on or too near the Campo, which is Party Central for American students abroad and young Italians from the suburbs.

Go with an apartment. You won't find a double in a hotel in that area for 100-120 Euro; they're closer to 200 Euro.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM

^ I was going to say that too. LOL. I didn't find that neighborhood to be quiet at all! (In fact, quiet was a not a word I'd use to describe anyplace I went in Rome.) Be prepared for plenty of noise - probably more in an apartment than a hotel. I wore earplugs at night and it was OK.

Anyway, check hotel reviews on Tripadvisor and see if some rooms face courtyards or something. If you are on the street there WILL be noise.

Have a great trip. Rome is AMAZING.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Zerlina and wliwl,

Thank you for your messages...I guess now I am really confused, like so many others Do you have any hotel recommendations in a "quiet-ish" locale? We are fine spending 200 euros. Yes, rome is amazing...I visited once before, but that was a one day whirlwind, so I am thrilled to go back and have a bit more time. Thanks again!
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:15 PM

I can't really suggest a hotel as we stayed in an apartment. I saw one hotel I LOVED and I will go back to someday but it was expensive. (Hotel Ponte Sisto)

Browse the list on Tripadvisor.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 08:08 PM

I am also looking for an apartment in Rome for 4 nights, but in May and for 4 people. I have found lots of websites and lots of choices, definitely some for 100-120 euros, but lots more choices for 150-200. Especially if you're looking for 1 bedroom. I was looking in the Colosseum area because it is fairly central and the prices seemed better, but then someone told me the neighborhood isn't good there, and it would be better to look in the Vatican area or around the Borghese Gallery as those are more residential areas. I have emails out waiting for availability information, but nothing to recommend to you now. I'll let you know what I find out and how it is when I get back!
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:37 AM

In June we are staying at Julia Gold apartment, on sleepinitaly.com. It is on Via giulia, which is a very quiet, attractive street that runs from the bridge at Castel Sant'Angelo straight down to very close to the Campo. It is closer to Castel S'A than to the Campo but we think it will be fine. It looks very nice. I found an excellent review of it on tripAdvisor.com. Sorry I cannot give you the exact URLs for this, as I am away from home and don't have access to my favorites.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 02:12 PM

nwbniteowl, I would strongly disagree with the recommendations to stay near the Vatican or Borghese. In both cases, the only thing you will be near will be those places. For the location that's most convenient to walking everywhere and good bus connections, look in the Piazza Navona/Pantheon area.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Last March, we stayed in a Sleep in Italy apartment on Via dei Capellari, just off Campo di Fiori, and the noise was horrific! Never again.
Our first time in Rome, we stayed in a hotel near the Vatican, the Spring House, and it was wonderfully quiet. We had to walk to the front of St. Peter's to a taxi stand for transportation, but it didn't seem to ever be a problem. Wish I'd done it the second time.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM

you might also want to look at apartments offered by realrome.com, a good rental agency with apartments in your price range. You will definitely find more good apartment options than hotels for the amount you are hoping to spend.

I agree with other posters--an apartment near Campo de' Fiori will not necessarily be quiet. Check apartment descriptions and reviews carefully if a quiet apartment is important to you.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM

Deborah

We stayed in an apartment last fall in Rome....two blocks off of Piazza Navona and found it to be VERY quiet and convenient for walking to all the sights. We rented through rentalinrome and found Sonya to be great to work with. We also meet up with Charlotte Kirchgaesser of La Casa Roma and she is amazing and has lots of places. www.lacasarome.com
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 07:01 AM

bkmk
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Hotel Portoghese is near Piazza Navonna, in your price range, and we never had a problem with noise.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM

We have rented twice from sleepinitaly.com with good results. We have stayed both times in Trastevere. Although Trastevere can be pretty crowded and noisy at night, many areas of Trastevere are quiet. I love the "neighborhood"