Hotel on Amalfi Coast

Search

Hotel on Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel on Amalfi Coast

In September, should we stay in Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano or Ravello? We will be visiting all of them. Sorrento is more reasonably priced but didn't know if too out of the way. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 08:52 PM

Sorrento is the one that is the least out of the way from the towns you mentioned. I would suggest staying in Sorrento and then commuting over to the others on day trips.<BR><BR>Stay where you will have a view of the bay and you will not regret it, there are some reasonable hotels with views in Sorrento, such as La Minervetta.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 08:54 PM

I'm no expert but I would say Sorrento as well. Just love Italy!
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 09:28 PM

This all depends on your time frame and what you you want to do while in Southern Italy.<BR>Sorrento is a great base and a beautiful town. From there you can visit Pompei on a easy day trip, spend time in Capri, overnight if possible, and see the Coast towns. At least 6 days. However if you are looking to get away from it all, enjoy the scenery, eat well and relax Positano or Amalfi fit the bill.Quiet in September. Ravello, high on the cliff, breathtaking ,with limited bus service and very small town amenities is for only for those seeking &quot;small Italy and solice&quot; Amalfi does hve some ferry service to Capri and Sorrento(Check Schedules) In Sorrento We've always stayed at La Tonnerella, great rooms and greater views. <BR>Hope this helps.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 10:07 PM

For me it's a no brainer. Sorrento offers much more than the others. 30 minutes by train to Pompeii, SITA bus to Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, ferry to Capri and Ischia, hotels and restaurants in all price ranges, lots of shops, go to the Foreigner's Club at night for live music and dancing just like the old days etc etc. As others previously stated, the other towns make better day trips than bases. Warning: make reservations early even for September.<BR><BR>Larry J