Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel - NH Collection Carlton (Flower Market)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2019, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I have hotel reservations and having second (or third) thoughts.

I'm now looking at the NH Collection Carlton. This might have previous had the name NH Collection "Flower Market".
On Vijzelstraat.

This hotel has recently been renovated and reopened in late April. So it's probably too early for any Fodorites to have stayed there.

Maybe somebody has wandered by and walked in.

The area appears to be good (?)
And then there's Menachem.
Old May 9th, 2019, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Myer
I have hotel reservations and having second (or third) thoughts.

I'm now looking at the NH Collection Carlton. This might have previous had the name NH Collection "Flower Market".
On Vijzelstraat.

This hotel has recently been renovated and reopened in late April. So it's probably too early for any Fodorites to have stayed there.

Maybe somebody has wandered by and walked in.

The area appears to be good (?)
And then there's Menachem.
Haha. Stayed there once when it was still the Jolly Carlton. Passed it a couple of weeks ago when they were still renovating it. It was certainly in need of an update. It's in a great location though, and it was a mid-priced hotel in its Jolly Carlton days, I think it's more in the upper range of mid-price now. A great choice if you want to be central to most of Amsterdam, and you have terrific tram options on your doorstep.
Old May 10th, 2019, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Menachem,
Thank you very much.
"A great choice if you want to be central to most of Amsterdam".
Any reason we wouldn't want to be central to most of Amsterdam? Is it a nice area?

Ok. I have to make some decisions. So far looking at 3 hotels.
In order of price. In all cases I'm looking at upgraded room sizes.

1) American Hotel. Price is reasonable. Whatever that means. Location appears to be good. My main concern is what the state of renovations will be in mid-July.

2) NH Collection Carlton (Flower Market). Price is about 165E more than American Hotel for 5 nights. Newly renovated. Just reopened after renovations in April (2019). Location is good.

3) NH Collection Doelen . Price is way more than I ever thought I'd be willing to pay. Price is about 550E more than American Hotel for 5 nights. Location appears to be good though it's a bit hard to tell if it's off to the side. You only live once.

Could you give me your opinion on these hotels relative to each other?

Thanks.
Old May 10th, 2019, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Maybe add Banks Mansion to that list.
Old May 10th, 2019, 11:00 AM

Banks Mansion definitely.

Americain has just become the Hard Rock Hotel. No telling how far renovations have progressed.

The Flower Market hotel is on a busy thoroughfare (Vijzelstraat) and near Rembrandtplein, but also near the Waterlooplein area and the area (beautiful imo) near Groenburgwal and Kloveniersburgwal. It's not a "quaint" hotel location, but neither is Leidseplein. De Doelen is lovely, but pricey, as you found out.

Maybe also look at Rho Hotel on Nes.
Old May 10th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Menachem,

Great stuff. Just want to make sure I understand.

Drop American Hotel due to possible/probable renovations underway.
Drop De Doelen due to its hefty price and while lovely may not be worth the price tag

Flower market is on a busy street but in a good area.
Banks Mansion is your top choice. Correct?

Isn't Banks Mansion a block from the Flower Hotel on the same street?
Old May 10th, 2019, 03:15 PM

Rembrandt Plein is for some reason off tourist path and is marvelous - filled on one side by outdoor-indoor cafes (pubs) and in daytime a real quiet place. But both hotels seem to be in super busy places Vijzelstraat is a main loud road so get a room in the back.

I think most folks would prefer more quiet sedate areas like by Vondel Park and Museumplein or any area a bit farther out. Or a hotel on a quiet canal in the Jordan.
Old May 10th, 2019, 06:13 PM

I've lodged at the Carlton a good few times over the years usually for business purposes and actually enjoyed the area and that I am happy to recommend. Although I can't comment on the renovated hotel I can say it is only a few streets from the wonderful Tuschinski which I tried to go to on every visit. I'd head right back to the Carlton just to do that again!

https://www.amsterdam.info/cinema/tuschinski/
Old May 10th, 2019, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Myer
Menachem,

Great stuff. Just want to make sure I understand.

Drop American Hotel due to possible/probable renovations underway.
Drop De Doelen due to its hefty price and while lovely may not be worth the price tag

Flower market is on a busy street but in a good area.
Banks Mansion is your top choice. Correct?

Isn't Banks Mansion a block from the Flower Hotel on the same street?
Yes it is, but a bit quieter. Carlton is right at the intersection of Vijzelstraat and Reguliersbreestraat, Banks Mansion is at the intersection of Herengracht and Vijzelstraat which, oddly, is much quieter.
Old May 10th, 2019, 11:25 PM

Rembrandt Plein a real quiet place off the tourist path? Really Pal?
Old May 11th, 2019, 05:43 AM

Have stayed at the NH flower market pre renovation and like the location, easy walking possibilities and tram options. That said, we stayed at Banks Mansion last October and love, love, loved it. Good location, nice staff, great hotel with many added amenities - would definitely recommend the splurge if you can, we’d return in a heartbeat.
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We just stayed basically a block or so from Rembrandtplein (at the Waldorf)

Rembrandtplein is NOT a "quiet place" especially as visitors mob that "Night Watch" statuary taking pictures and at night the many, many eating venues seemed rather busy but perhaps our time in the city was unusual. Early morning (after a weekend) saw more than a few discarded beer bottles and broken glass as we waited for the tram.
Old May 11th, 2019, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

I call Banks Mansion and received an interesting response.

I asked if booking a Canal View room would put me in a quieter location (I figured this would be around the corner from the busy street). I would consider that even though the view wasn't of great importance.

I was told if quiet was really more important than the view, I'd be better with a back room as not only is the room less expensive but the Canal View rooms are somewhat smaller for the same type of room.

I like these people already.
Old May 11th, 2019, 02:00 PM

Rembrandt Plein a real quiet place off the tourist path? Really Pal?>

Well I meant for foreign visitors - may have changed in seven years since I often walked thru there and by cafes and heard a lot of Dutch - plus everyone was standing - something few other countries do!
Old May 11th, 2019, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
Rembrandt Plein is for some reason off tourist path and is marvelous - filled on one side by outdoor-indoor cafes (pubs) and in daytime a real quiet place. But both hotels seem to be in super busy places Vijzelstraat is a main loud road so get a room in the back.

I think most folks would prefer more quiet sedate areas like by Vondel Park and Museumplein or any area a bit farther out. Or a hotel on a quiet canal in the Jordan.
Rembrandtplein is super touristy at all hours of the day. Also, after 5 years of relentless IAmsterdam marketing, there are almost no quiet canals in Jordaan. Nor are there many hotels there.
Old May 11th, 2019, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
Rembrandt Plein a real quiet place off the tourist path? Really Pal?>

Well I meant for foreign visitors - may have changed in seven years since I often walked thru there and by cafes and heard a lot of Dutch - plus everyone was standing - something few other countries do!
MAY have changed? HAS changed. Rembrandtplein always has been "trash bar" territory. And never "for the Dutch", except for the "gentlemen's clubs" it once had perhaps.
Old May 11th, 2019, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dukey1
We just stayed basically a block or so from Rembrandtplein (at the Waldorf)

Rembrandtplein is NOT a "quiet place" especially as visitors mob that "Night Watch" statuary taking pictures and at night the many, many eating venues seemed rather busy but perhaps our time in the city was unusual. Early morning (after a weekend) saw more than a few discarded beer bottles and broken glass as we waited for the tram.
Rembrandtplein has always been more or less like this. Nowadays at night, they have substantial police presence out to constrain the mayhem somewhat.
Old May 12th, 2019, 05:47 AM

Like I said, we loved Banks Mansion. We had a canal view room, nice and overlooking the tree shaded canal, when the double paned windows were closed the noise wasn’t too bad, however as we’ve traveled more and gotten older, a quiet room surpasses a view room any day. I can get all the view i need when I step outside of the hotel . The front desk was very helpful when asked any questions at all, there’s a bar set up in the lobby with coffee, tea, soft drinks, water, alcohol and beer - it’s self serve, no extra charge. Great when you’ve returned from exploring the city and need something refreshing, they also have a few hours each evening where munchies are served in the ‘living room’, very nice. So many little touches that make the hotel special.
Old May 12th, 2019, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

wunderbar2,

Thanks. Reinforces the idea of a Banks Mansion "back room" for quiet rather than a canal view as we are getting older and into pamper mode.