Reload this Page >

Hotel needed for Lake Maggiore area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Ginger

I have taken to heart several recommendations to stay near Lake Maggiore on our last night in Italy. We would like to be close to Malpensa airport so we're looking somewhere between Arona and Stresa. I would appreciate any hotel recommendations. It would be nice to have a view of the lake. Either the city center or the countryside would be fine. We're hoping for something under 200 Euro. Thank you.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:56 AM
GAC

Try one of the following hotels:<BR><BR>1. In Belgirate, Hotel Villa Carlotta<BR>2. In Stresa, Hotels Regina Palace, Astoria, La Palma, Milano du Lac, or Bristol<BR><BR>All should be under 200 Euros per night, excepting possibly the Regina Palace.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Dayle

Hi Ginger! We stayed on the tiny Isola dei Pescatori just off Stresa at the Hotel Verbano. It's the only hotel on the island & has about 14 rooms. We had a wonderful room on the terrace facing east with a 180 degree of the lake & mountains. It's dead quiet at night because public boat service ends at 7pm. If you need to depart before public service begins in the AM, arrange with the hotel for a private boat to take you over to Stresa. It's worth it! We paid about $110 US for a double in May 2000, so it may be more now according to what I read here about increasing Italian hotel rates. Buon viaggio!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:12 AM
GAC

Intriguing option. Seems plausible for anyone wanting complete silence at night, but not for people who want to experience some night life!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:33 AM
pat

Stayed at the Regina Palace in Stresa and had a great view of the lake. Only problem was, we wanted to open our balcony doors for some air at night, but the traffic goes on and on, all night long until about 4 am, then starts up again around 6am, so it was noisy. Otherwise, we loved it! The hotel had great food too!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 01:58 PM
tp

tp

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 04:12 PM
barbara

Hotel Villa Aminta in Stresa is lakefront and the rooms were beautiful, many with terraces that faced the lake. It definitely was the nicest hotel we stayed in in Italy last summer. Our room, a deluxe junior suite was 450,000 itl. But I also believe there were rooms there that were less expensive, perhaps not lakefront, and not as large as the one we had.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Ginger

I'm not familiar with Belgirate, and there doesn't seem to be much information about it. The Villa Carlotta and the Hotel Milano look great, but are full. From their pictures, it appears Belgirate is a small lake town, not quite as much of a tourist town as Arona and Stresa. Am I correct? I'm not sure we would feel comfortable on the Isola dei Pescatori with a plane to catch the next morning! I'll check out the other recommendations. Thanks! Any info on Belgirate would be appreciated.