Search

Hotel Muguet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Muguet

I have have received an email quote from Hotel Muguet for 100e/day for a double room in March 2005. Is it a good price or I can do better this? After going throught many posts, it seems that people who called the horel directly could negotiate and got a better rate. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 01:16 AM

Their advertised price in March 2004 was 105 euro for a twin. It remained 105 when I tried to negotiate over the phone! Maybe if you stay long enough they can make you a special price but we were there for just one night.
Anyway, it's a fair price for a Parisian hotel.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 04:34 AM

If you want to stay at the Muguet you had better confirm soon as it is very popular and stays booked up all year. There is a huge difference in the size of the rooms, but €100 is not a bad price for a good hotel in that area.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:02 AM

Small and popular hotels that fill up easily do not have a need to negotiate their room prices.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:05 AM

Hotel Muguet was for years the best kept secret in the business travel community. The secret is out and now it books months ahead of time with tourists and people who want the feeling that they are staying in a Parisian residential neighborhood and still walk to the Eiffel Tower, Musee D'Orsay, and Musee Rodin (backyard--literally). That price is very good, and I have to wondered about the accuracy of people negotiating and getting a better price; The Muguet has probably 100 e-mails/day of people willing to pay even more than that. Say hi to Framboise, Catherine's poodle who "owns" the lobby.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 07:27 AM

When we stayed there in 2001, we paid the equivalent of 93 USD for a double. Allowing for inflation and considering the current exchange rate, I think 100 Euro is a good price. I'd snap it up in a second. It's a lovely hotel.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

I will book right away. Thank you all for your advice.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Framboise passed away this past fall. She was 16 years old. The family was so sad they had to get a new puppy. ----a terrier of some type, we haven't seen him yet, only pictures. We have enjoyed many stays ay Hotel Muguet. Hope you do too.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Laidback-- very kind of you to update, even though those are sad news. Framboise was an adorable pet who was friendly and added so much charm to the Muguet. I still have fond memories of returning back to the hotel after a long day of sightseeing and she will be playful and just adorable. Sometimes is the little things, isn't it?
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 12:28 AM
lyb

After reading this thread, I decided to look up Hotel Muguet. Even though my trip is not until the first week of October, I decided to send them an inquiry. They have already responsed and have quoted me 90 euros for a single room. I most likely will go ahead and reserve it based on the comments of this thread, but can anybody who has actually stayed at the hotel tell me a bit more...the sizes of the rooms,typically. In particular, has anyone stayed in a single room...though to be honest since I don't spend that much time in the room, it's not that major of an issue, but I also don't want to feel claustophobic.

I look forward to reading more about this hotel.
Thanks,
Lynn
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:57 AM

I'm not sure if you are asking whether 100 euro a day is a good rate for the Muguet or for any hotel in Paris. It is a good rate for a double room in a nice 2* hotel in a central area of Paris. I've never heard of anyone being able to negotiate better rates with the Muguet than their posted rates, I'm surprised about that, but guess I missed those posts. I thought their doubles were actually around 110 euro, but I know that is a good rate for them.

I have been in probably what they call a "single room" at the Muguet, even though I didn't want to be and did not request it. I asked for a double room and told them there would be one person occupancy, so I imagine they gave me what they are calling a "single room" even though I hadn't booked a "single". I told them I did not care about price and wanted a nice double room. My experience is this hotel does not care what you request or want, they give you what they want to.

That room was very small, of course. Typical size of a single room in a budget hotel in Paris. It's not as bad as some I have heard about on here from others, though. Basically, there was a small amount of space on either side of the double bed (maybe two feet on one side which was in front of the bathroom door--not much on the other side but you would have no reason to be on that side of the bed as the outside wall and window were there), and a few feet at the end of the bed where there was a table or desk of some kind and a luggage rack. You could easily stand in front of that desk/luggage rack for access to your bag. There wasn't any armchair or anything like that. The room I had did not overlook the street, but some interior space with nothing special to look at, just building walls.

If you don't care about size of rooms that much, it should be fine. I didn't like it that much but it was fine for my couple day stay. I wouldn't want a longer stay in that room. It wasn't like rooms where people claim the room is just about the size of the bed. If I had to guess size, I'd say maybe 9 feet by 11 feet.

The hotel was in good condition and clean and had good quality furniture and decor for that level and price of hotel. I didn't find the bed very comfortable, the mattress was too hard, but others don't seem to feel that way. I think it is a good value for a 2* hotel.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:20 AM

We love the hotel--the queen rooms cost a bit more but provide a larger bed and larger room. We are booked again for this year--son and wife and other friends to whom we have recommended the hotel have been pleased. Don't know about the singles but friends who just took a double found the room tiny--we are sticking with the queen.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:43 AM

There has been a bit of fuss on this board about a rule, maybe, that you can't have food in your room at Muguet. This would cross it off my list. But there was a lot of "maybe" to this report.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 06:53 AM

We stayed at Hotel Muguet in October 2004 after a long run at Hotel de la Motte Picquet, which only ended when Mme. Ireland sold the hotel and retired

Rooms are small yes. Shower was smaller. We had "Tulipe". Hotel is IMMACULATE, exceedingly well run. Superbly located.

But we won't stay there again. Why?

The red-haired Madame was a b***h. No matter what I said or what I asked [and it was politely in my decent French -- I know the polite preparatory phrases one uses to lead into a question or request] she jumped down my throat. For 5 days. Repeatedly.

Perhaps I expected too much of her -- but I was only asking for help that Mme. Ireland had been only to happy to give at another 2 star hotel. So at best the front desk is only for directly hotel-related matters.

As for Framboise -- she bit me. And dogs don't generally do that. The older "Madame" and I reached a decent detente -- in fact she recognized that I was operating within acceptable cultural parameters -- and the salt & pepper lady was too scared of "red" to do anything except scurry around.

Now that I think about it -- perhaps a sociological analysis of the front desk staff would be interesting... but I'd stay someplace else!!!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 07:00 AM

There are other hotels nearby the Muguet. Why not try them instead? One is Hotel Varenne. I read nice comments both about the staff and the hotel itself.

The Muguet is not the only hotel in the 7th! If the staff and owner have issues with the guests, that is not good.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:45 AM

It is my experience that the staff and owners don't have issues with *all* the guests. We were extremely pleased with the hotel and with the staff. Even with the lovely little dog.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:49 AM

Mme. Ireland's assistant at Motte Piquet recommended two hotels in addition to Muguet after I wailed a bit aboutl osing my "home" in Paris ... She recommended Hotel Turenne and de L'Empereur [with views of Invalides]. Both are not nearly as pretty as Muguet but they are also a bit cheaper.

I stopped by both this last trip to pick up brochures [it was very theraputic I must say] and had a very pleasant conversation with the desk person at l'Empereur in particular. We'll probably give it or Hotel del'Avre a try next visit.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 01:15 PM

Myriam -- I'm not quite sure how to take your post. I am glad that you had a pleasant stay. I *had* heard that she did not like Americans. If that's what you meant, why not state it instead of insinuating that my husband and I fit into some problematic category, based on unstated critera.

I AM an American. I'm not always happy about it, but that's the breaks. I made the mistake of assuming that my decent French and my understanding of "la politesse" and "comme il faut" would be sufficient to avoid her ire. Obviously it wasn't. And we won't return.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 01:36 PM

If people want to stay at the Muguet, fine, I say, let them. It is totally ordinary in every way, nothing special. I didn't stay here, but I looked at a double, nothing charming about it at all-just basic. They were very cold and impersonal at the front desk-I did not care for Madame AT ALL. With the many good hotels in this price range in Paris, far better located (if you want to be near the cafe scene in the 5th or 6th, that is) I would give it a pass. Just as long as people don't start heading to my favorite 2 star in the 5th, I say, go where ever you want!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Sally, I meant to say what I said, and this in reply to francophile03's post "If the staff and owner have issues with the guests, that is not good". We (who were also guests) had no problems with the staff nor with the owners. Nothing more, nothing less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -