Hotel Mercure?

Dec 26th, 2000, 06:43 AM
Jeff

Hotel Mercure?

I am going to Paris in 2 months and will be staying at a hotel called Hotel Mercure not far from the Eiffel Tower. I understand this is a chain. Does anyone know anything about this hotel?

Dec 26th, 2000, 06:49 AM
Robert

Jeff
I have not stayed at this hotel but I do know that Mecure is part of the Accor group, which also owns the Sofitel and Novotel hotels, plus several other brand names. Their offering range from top level 4 star types like the Sofitel to the very bottom Motel 6-like budget places. The order sort of goes Sofitel-Novotel-Mercure-then on down. I have stayed in Novotels many times and have always found them to be very nice places. I think you will be happy with the Mecure brand as well. You can go to the Accor web site and from there link over to the information sites on each hotel type.

Dec 26th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Chuck

jeff
the following web sites will help you find more info.

The site for the Accor company:

http://www.accor.com/sa/default.asp

The site for Mercure:
http://www.accor.com/sa/groupe/act.a...se=mercure_idx

More Mercure info:
http://www.mercure.com/Default.asp?

The actual hotel in Paris you are probably booked into:
http://www.mercure.com/fichehotel/fr...ode_chaine=MER

Hope this helps...have a great trip

Dec 26th, 2000, 09:25 AM
Myriam

I don't know what the Parisian Mercure is like, but we've stayed at a Mercure in the French Alps which was really very good with large rooms with ensuite bathroom and separate WC.

Dec 26th, 2000, 09:39 AM
John

Our experience with Accor hotels (Novotel, Mercure, Ibis) in various countries has been uniformly positive. The Novotels seem more sleek and business-y than the Mercure or Ibis properties, but the various hotels differ in character somewhat. Haven't stayed at the one you're referring to, but we love the Mercure Monty near the Marais district (7th?) - cool art deco hotel with rooftop peeks of Sacre Coeur, great snug bar and good breakfast buffet.

Dec 26th, 2000, 11:36 AM
Chris

I agree with above replies. When we travelled this summer in Germany, we stayed at many a Mercure because they are family-friendly (extra beds in the room). I'm sure you are right in the city if you are near the Eiffel Tower, but our experience was that Mercure was outside the cities' limits in Germany (thus, required car). If you can get the star rating on the hotel, that will help give you an idea of what the hotel would be like. If it is a 2-star hotel in Paris, I would say definitely DO NOT stay there. 3-star would be acceptable only if the price is good and you are willing to compromise with a small room. Good luck!

Dec 26th, 2000, 07:02 PM
Prue

Jeff, we stayed at a Mercure Hotel that was close to the Opera while in Paris last year. It was about a 3 Star, but the rooms were very small. There was a fairly basic Bar and Dining Room where breakfast was served. The location was good and there were many restaurants etc. close by.
However, as we were having breakfast prior to leaving for the airport a thief came into the dining room and attempted to steal some of the luggage piled up in the corner. He was tackled and restrained by two of our group, whereby the staff locked themselves in the office and refused to come out until the police arrived!!

Dec 27th, 2000, 06:57 AM
Willis

I just have to comment on Chris's note above. First, it is unlikely that any Mecure will be rated less than 3 stars, especially in Paris (some in the country side might be, but doubtful). My real objection is Chris's statement that one should never stay in a 2 star hotel in Paris. He is TOTALLY WRONG on that count. I have stayed in numerous 2 star hotels in Paris and have NEVER been unhappy. The rooms have ranged from smallish to very large, all have had very nicely appointed bathrooms, and friendly and helpful staff. They have also always been right in the midst of the best areas (i.e., the Eiffel Tower area, the Marais, the area around the Arch of Triumph, etc.). For the additional money you spend for a 3 star versus a 2 star the 2 star will win hands down every time. Another plus is that 2 stars typically charge less for the typcial Paris hotel breakfast (which the really smart traveller will skip in favor of coffee and pastries on the street somewhere).

I think that many people will agree that 2 star hotels in Paris are the way to go. Sorry Chris, but the extra francs you spend on the 3 star place and that I save by using 2 star will go a long way toward buying my wife and me a nice dinner in a small cafe.