Someplace warm in Europe in December?

Dec 26th, 2000, 08:38 AM
Meg

Someplace warm in Europe in December?

Hello, my family wants to take a family vacation next December instead of exchanging Christmas gifts. We are planning on going from approximately December 7-16 range. Most everyone wants to go someplace warm (we are from a cold climate) and they immediately thought of the Caribbean. I'd like to offer a place or two in Europe for consideration, but is there any place that compares in terms of temperatures and weather? My first thought was the Canary Islands - but I think the temps stay in the low to mid 60s at that time of year. Has anyone been there in early December? Also, any other suggestions...Greece....Sicily....others?

Dec 26th, 2000, 08:46 AM
Julie

Southern Spain and Southern Italy are comfortable at that time of the year.

Dec 26th, 2000, 09:19 AM
Myriam

Southern Spain is only 12-15C (50-58F) in December and may be very rainy (like it it now!!). Southern Italy even colder. Canary Islands is abt. 20C (64F) which is OK during the day but days are very short since the sun disappears at around 4 pm.
Regretfully the European continent has nothing to compare with the Caribbean. That is probably why the Caribbean are so popular overhere!

Dec 26th, 2000, 10:55 AM
Simon

try the islands of Malta and Gozo. The weather will probably be nice, there's a lot of ciulture to take in, and any teenagers/young adults will love the nightlife in St Julians.

Dec 26th, 2000, 12:12 PM
elvira

Not exactly Europe - how about Morocco? Warm, inexpensive, exciting, different.

Malta is also pretty interesting - not a lot of Americans visit (except as day trips or with a religious tour - 'cause of St Paul and all) so you won't hear Americans everywhere (English and Italians, mostly). St Julian's is definitely lively! Lots to see and do - pre-Pyramid structures, churches EVERYWHERE, pretty fishing villages...

Dec 26th, 2000, 12:47 PM
Meg

Thanks for your suggestions. Would any of these places be warm enough for a day or two on the beach? I agree with Myriam. I was in Spain last November and it was definitely not warm enough for the beach - although we did have many sunny days, it was still quite cool.

Dec 26th, 2000, 03:59 PM
Pedro

I think Canary Islands have the milder climate in these dates in all Europe. It will be around 23C (75 F)-18C (65 F).The southern part of each island is sunnier and hotter than the northern part, but this one can be quite green in this time of the year. You can see snow, greenery and desert in the same island. The impressive landscape of the island of La Palma has the inconvenience of its lack of beaches. The same could be said of Gomera or El Hierro. Tenerife, Gran Canaria or Lanzarote are more complete have a bit of everything. Fuerteventura has the best beaches but a bit windy.

Dec 26th, 2000, 06:12 PM
Al

Have you considered French Polynesia? Warm, sunny, beaches, snorkeling, etc. High prices if you stay at the posh places, otherwise it's Moon & Sixpence country. Very laid-back. I've sailed the Mediterranean, from one end to the other in December, and never found any place I would call warm. Even Egypt can be quite chilly some days.

Dec 26th, 2000, 10:00 PM
Burta

Forget a warm place in Europe in December. Come to Hawaii. You can do a few days in Waikiki for touristy things and to see our "big" city, then do the rest of your vacation on a neighbor island (Maui, Kauai, or the Big Island of Hawaii, say). Lots of warm, friendly possibilities. And we all speak English (sort of -- at least our version of it).
I just got back from ten days in London and Paris where it was very cold. Came back and stepped off the plane to 85 weather and blue skies. Something to be said for this!

Dec 26th, 2000, 10:15 PM
kalena

I spent a very cooold December and January in Majorca a few years back. Spring there was beautiful, though, with the almond and olive orchards in bloom.

Agree with Burta, something to be said about the blue skies and perfumed breezes of Hawaii Nei. It's been a gorgeous Christmas season!

Dec 27th, 2000, 12:30 AM
Simon

Sorry Meg, but you won't be swimming in europe in december (except in the hotel's heated indoor pool !). Try New Zealand for swimming in December (LOL!). But if it's culture you are after, my first suggestion (MALTA & GOZO) holds.
Good luck !

Dec 27th, 2000, 12:35 AM
Myriam

Meg,
I would not waste any money on the Canary Islands in December. It is expensive, because it's the only place nearby where it is relatively warm. For example: with our Belgian touroperators a 4* hotel in half board (breakfast+dinner) will cost the same as 4* all inclusive in the Dominican Republic or Cuba, incl. intercontinental flight...
The islands are still popular with the elderly people who go there for 3 months or so to escape to the worst of our winter.
I agree that the Canary Islands are beautiful islands, especially the northern and central parts, and all are very different. But if you want a beach holiday, you may be very disappointed.

Dec 27th, 2000, 01:00 AM
Sjoerd

Myriam, I respectfully disagree with you. I like the Canary Islands very much, the weather in December is usually nice (certainly quite a few beach days), and it is very cheap to go there from Western Europe. I can get 8-day package tours to the Canary Islands, including airfare from Amsterdam (4 hour flight), hotel and breakfast, for as little as 650 guilders (295 euro, 270 US$)
Tenerife is a bautiful island, and you can make a day-trip to La Gomera, which is the only island which does not have an airport and is great for hiking.

Dec 27th, 2000, 03:00 AM
Myriam

Sjoerd,
You know as well as I do that a hotel at 650 guilders does not compare to 4*. We have stayed 1 week at Riu Palace Tenerife last year and it cost us per person 38000 BEF (= 864 US$ at today's exchange rate) half board. For 2000 BEF more we have stayed 1 week all inclusive in hotel Casa del Mar in Bayahibe, Dom.Rep.
I just wanted to make an equal comparison: "appels met appels vergelijken", as we say in Dutch.

As stated in my previous post, I also like the scenery of the Canary Islands, especially La Gomera and Lanzarote, but not this time of the year.

Dec 27th, 2000, 06:49 AM
Liz

The Canary Islands are usually hot enough to sit on the beach, in early December. My sister-in law has just come back, and she's got a great tan.

Greece is not likely to be anywhere near as warm in December.

If it was me, though, I'd go to the Maldives (Indian Ocean). I've never seen such beautiful beaches, clear turquiose seas and amazing fish! (Not cheap, though!)

Dec 27th, 2000, 07:11 AM
Meg

Thanks for all the info! You guys rock! Maybe I can convince the group to go in early October instead....but somehow I doubt that will happen. I'll explore these options you've all suggested. If they don't work out for this go around there are always future vacations!!