Hotel Margutta Redux

Nov 29th, 1999, 09:27 AM
D&A

Hotel Margutta Redux

I just tried to book a room at the Hotel Margutta in Rome for L190,000 a night and they asked me to send them an international money order for the first night's stay as confirmation. What are your thoughts on this? If I am to proceed, does anyone have any tips on how to protect my deposit? I did a search on the Margutta in this forum and found varied reactions... is there a particular room or floor I should ask for to ensure a pleasant stay? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nov 29th, 1999, 12:33 PM
D&A

Can anyone please provide the telephone number and address of the Hotel Campo di Fiori in Rome? I see this hotel recommended often in this forum and would like to give them a try. Thank you.

Nov 29th, 1999, 07:53 PM
pam

Hotel Campo dei Fiori
Via del Bscione 6
Rome 00186
phone 06 68806865
fax 06 6876003
27 rooms, 13 w/o bath
per Fodor's 99
great location--dine at Pollarolla around the corner (away from the Campo)--say hello to Bruno!

Nov 30th, 1999, 08:46 AM
Paulo

If, by any chance, you're not able to find a room at the Campo de' Fiori you may try the Albergo del Sole, in the same street, as clean and IMO with a bit more character than the Fiori. It's supposed to be the oldest hotel in Rome (if you believe earsay). You should be paying about Lit 170,000. You may inquire on line ... see
http://home.venere.it/roma/sole/
Paulo

Nov 30th, 1999, 09:49 AM
D&A

Thank you pam and Paul for your responses. I contacted the Albergo del Sole and they quoted me L230,000 for early April so I suppose that is the going rate for the jubilee year? They had also wanted a first night's deposit by international money order, so I guess that is also the custom in Rome?

Nov 30th, 1999, 10:30 AM
Paulo

I never ever had to make a deposit when reserving hotel rooms in Rome (including the del Sole and the Campo de' Fiori!!!). The reservations were always guaranteed by cc and the usual cancellation policy used to be a 24-48 hr notice (otherwise they would charge the first night for a no-show).
Once Rome should be packed during the Jubillee Year, I think that this change in policy is to avoid that people reserve "just like that" (sort of, if I really decide to travel in the near future, I already have my room guaranteed). By asking for a money order they're making things a bit more complicated and hope that if you go through the trouble this means that your intentions are firm ... (just a guess).
Concerning the quote you got from the del Sole, it shows that they've increased their normal rates only about 10-15%. I thought you were travelling during the winter. Rates for high season were about Lit 200,000/210,000 this year.
Paulo

Nov 30th, 1999, 01:12 PM
Marilyn Ham

We've stayed at the Margutta twice. It was great. The staff is helpful and I'm sure you will enjoy it. You can buy your international money order at your post office. Just keep your receipt. It takes about 6 weeks to get there, but it gets there fine. The US currency is converted to lira and deposited in their bank. The money order goes through the PO center in St. Louis. One of the times we stayed there the money order had not arrived in several weeks. We just faxed the Margutta a copy and followed up with the PO. They were just slow. Hope this helps. Marilyn

Nov 30th, 1999, 06:29 PM
D&A

Thanks for your help Paulo and Marilyn. I feel better about sending the deposit now having heard of your positive experiences. Best regards.

Dec 1st, 1999, 01:15 PM
geo

We were in Rome 2 weeks ago,at Teatro di Pompeo just off Campo di Fiore and it's a diaster.All torn up for repaving.

Dec 2nd, 1999, 03:18 AM
Paulo

to geo:
The hotel or the campo?
Paulo

Dec 2nd, 1999, 08:15 AM
geo

Message for Paolo; The Campo is being repaved-not the hotel.There is only 1 lane of traffic across the center of the Campo,and a 2 foot wide boardwalk around the perifery.I asked how long it would last and got a smile and a shrug-"Maybe a month"

Dec 2nd, 1999, 10:11 AM
Pam

D&A (& Paulo),
We stayed at the Albergo del Sole in May. It was 240000 for a triple with bath. We did not have to send a deposit; that may be a Jubilee-year precaution for them. They only take cash. We later found the Hotel delle Regioni, for only 30000 Lire more, with air conditioning (& breakfast) & much quieter. Email me privately if you want more info, or search other "Rome hotel" questions on this forum for the contact info.

Search this Thread