Back from Greece

Oct 28th, 1999, 02:02 PM
Judy

Back from Greece

We're back from our first trip to Grece, and I'm finally over the cold I caught on the plane (coming back, fortunately), and I just want to thank everyone for the good tips I got from you, they were a great helpin planning our trip. Everything worked jsut beautifully. We spent one night in Athens to recover from trip, then took the bus to Naplion, where we stayed for 5 days at the Rex Hotel. We rented a car there and drove around the Argolid peninsula, up to Corinth, to Mycenae, etc. We love to be able to meander, and spend lots of time at the sites, so although we probably didn't see as much as if we'd been on a guided tour, this was definitely the way to do it - for us, anyway.
Back to Athens for four days (my husband's meeting, the alleged reason for the trip). Took a tour of the city including the Acropolis; mobs of people, I had claustrophobia - but I went back by myself one morning - got there at 8 am when it opens - the light was lovely, it was cook, and there were almost no people! It was heaven, and I stayed for 2 blissful hours. We took a day excursion to Delphi which of course was sensational; I wish we'd haad the time todo this on our own and spend a night - I didn't feel we had enough time.
After the meeting we flew to Santorini for five days (my husband gets seasick so boating frmo island to island was out). Santorini was spectacular, and we didn't feel that five days was too long. Got to know the island and its people. It was the perfect way to end our first trip to Greece. Of course now we have to think about next trip to Greece - the country was fascinating - people uniformly terrific, food good.
Anyone who'd like more details, I kept a journal and have typed it up, and would be happy to email it out - Just sent me an email, or message here, and you're welcome to read it. Again, thanks for all your help!

Oct 28th, 1999, 02:13 PM
Beth

Hi Judy,
welcome back. thanks for the report. I would love to read your journal if you would e-mail me a copy.

--beth

Oct 29th, 1999, 10:54 AM
lisa

Where did you stay in Santorini, and would you recommend it? Good restaurants in Santorini? Also, did you go to Akrotiri, any beaches, or any other interesting sights? How did you get around on the island? Any tips at all would be appreciated -- thanks!

Oct 29th, 1999, 11:52 AM
Chuck Jones

We are planning a trip of three weeks for this spring and would love to read your journal. Thanksfor the info chuck

Oct 29th, 1999, 12:03 PM
Paul C.

We're planning a three week trip to Greece covering much of what you did so I'd appreciate a copy of the journal and recommendations on hotels and restaurants.

Oct 29th, 1999, 04:11 PM
Don Hooper

Thanks for the information. We would like to know how you liked the Hotel Rex in Naplion. Is it in the city area or is it a beach resort? Do you have any recommendations as to the type/location,etc of room to ask for? Is there parking facilities, breakfast included? Price for double, Views.

Thanks for your reply,

Don

Nov 1st, 1999, 05:18 AM
Judy

Hi to Lisa - I tried to send you email but it didn't go through, so here's answers to your questios - Santorini - fabulous island. Bus is wonderful way to get around - inexpensive, fun, with frequent service. We did take a tour that went to Akrotiri, which you shouldn't miss; it's fabulously interesting, tho' actually I found it more interesting in thelearning about than in the actual seeing - but that's just me. and I wouldn't have missed it. There's another archaeological site, high on a mountain, not so accessible, that we heard was fascinating, but we didn't get there. We didn't do much beaching - swam off the boat that took us out to the volcano - that was fun. Lots and lots and lots of tavernas, restaurants of varying quality - we loved the fast-food street places that sold gyros, souvlaki, etc - a good restaurant we read about in Fodor was Kukumavlos; good innovative creative food - and fabulous setting (but then in Santorini almsot everything has a fabulous setting.) Have fun!

To Don: The Rex Hotel in Naplion was adequate - a good value, I guess - tiny bathrooms. Not for atmosphere. It's not in the old part of the town, but it's a very easy walk through lovely parks, and the staff were pleasant and accommodating - breakfast was included in the rate (I can't remember was the rate was; it was in a package arranged for us by an Athens travel agency) the breakfast was buffet, dry omelets, quasi-croissants, etc, BUT: that fabulous wonderful Greek yogurt aplenty, with cereal, it's what I had every morning and wish I had some right now. No problem with street parking right near hotel. No views, rooms as far as we know pretty equal. Hope this is some help! The hotel was clean and not expensive. And as I say it didn't matter that it wasn't right in the middle of the old part of town.
Regards,
Judy

Nov 1st, 1999, 06:27 AM
lisa

Judy -- thanks for the info; sounds like a wonderful trip. Where did you stay on Santorini? Many people seem to recommend Oia for the views and quiet vs. Fira for more restaurants and nightlife -- what is your opinion on this?

Nov 1st, 1999, 01:30 PM
Judy

Hi, Lisa --
We stayed in Fira, at the Atlantis Hotel. This was arranged by the travel agent in Athens as part of a package that included the air far from Athens to Santorini, so again I'm not sure how much it was. The Atlantis is kind of an eyesore, the largest builing in Fira, but it's lovely to stay in. Balconies overlooking the caldera, etc. I could have just stayed right there on the balcony, watching the light change, etc. And it's sort of at the edge of the town of Fira, so not right in the center of the noise. It has a charming swimming pool. The breakfasts, included in the rate, served on your balcony, were good. The staff - two lovely young women at the desk - as nice as they could be and helpful - funny and charming.
We had originally planned to stay in the town of Imerviglio, just a k or two from Fira, but couldn't get accommodations we wanted there - I fell in love with that town - none of the honkytonk of Fira, but pretty close by. We tried to get into Astra Apartments, which I'd still love to stay at some day, from what I've read. Of course we visited Oia, and my impression is that it's fast catching up with Fira in the honkytonk department. Lovely, though. But I didn't find Fira that distasteful, to be truthful - kind of enjoyed watching the people, meandering around, etc etc. And as I say, the Atlantis was sort of on the edge of all that.
Best,
Judy

Nov 30th, 1999, 05:43 PM
Jill

Judy,
I totally agree with your comments on staying in Fira. We stayed right around the corner from you in a wonderful hotel - Tzekos Villas. Caldera edge, balcony with a "view to die for", and a great little swimming pool. Hidden at the end of a lane and yet within walking distance to all the excitement.
Oia is beautiful and I enjoyed visiting there for a day (we rented a car) but it appeared equally crowded and then there was my balcony back in Fira.....
Jill

Dec 1st, 1999, 07:31 AM
Roberto

Hello, Judy,

I'm intending to go to Greece in January (with my wife) and we would be very thankful if you could send us a journal.
About Santorini, do you know how much you spent with the air fares ? And do you think it's worth going to Santorini even in the winter?
Thanks,
Roberto

Dec 2nd, 1999, 10:24 AM
pam

My fiance and I are going to Greece for our honeymoon at the end of May. We wanted to do some sightseeing and then just relax for 5-6 days sipping drinks by the pool or on a beach. Any recommendations? How long does it take to get to Santorini from Athens by boat? Your journal would be helpful. Thanks!

Dec 2nd, 1999, 10:24 AM
pam

My fiance and I are going to Greece for our honeymoon at the end of May. We wanted to do some sightseeing and then just relax for 5-6 days sipping drinks by the pool or on a beach. Any recommendations? How long does it take to get to Santorini from Athens by boat? Your journal would be helpful. Thanks!

Dec 2nd, 1999, 10:25 AM
pam

Search this Thread