Hotel l'Aubusson - Paris

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 07:28 AM
Meg

Hotel l'Aubusson - Paris

I know I've seen this hotel on the board, but I am having trouble pulling up past threads with the new site format.

I've have reservations here for early next year. Does anyone have any good recommendations for nearby restaurants or specific things to do? We've never stayed in this area, so I'm not that familiar with it. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 10:52 AM
elaine

Meg
I've been to Paris many times, but will be staying at that hotel and in that neighborhood for the first time at the beginning of this coming Dec. If you can wait until after that, I'll be happy to share information.
However, the hotel is walking distance
or a short ride to many restaurants on the left bank as you know, as well as the right bank side of Pont Neuf so I think restaurant possibilities abound.
My only concern is how noisy rue Dauphine is, but I'll be happy to let you know if you email me after December 10. I'll try to remember to post it here as well.
If you do a Search , try just Aubusson rather than l'.... Actually, I believe the proper name is d'Aubusson.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 01:54 PM
Meg

Elaine - you are correct about the name. My mistake. I actually tried to e-mail you directly this morning, but got an error message. I saw another post on which you offered someone your Paris notes. I would love a copy - and would love to hear about your stay at the hotel. Thanks for the response. Have a great trip!

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 10:37 AM
Edye

We will be staying there Oct 12-17. My in-laws were in Paris last week and stopped in to check it out for us and said the lobby and breakfast area look better than the photos, and that the location is superb, as one can tell from a map. They commented that Rue Dauphine is very small. Previous hotel guests have told me that their rooms which faced the street were totally quiet. My in-laws enjoyed a fabulous Indian meal (after 2 weeks in France they were ready for change) at a restaurant on Rue Dauphine, which I discovered during research, called Yugaraj. I'll be happy to post once I return, but admit to hesitating to put my email address on here due to spammers.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 11:11 AM
Ruth

We stayed there for 6 nights in May and loved it. Our standard room faced the street but we never heard any street noise. The hotel staff spoke excellent English--a big help for us non-French speakers--and made dinner reservations for us. At their recommendation, we ate at a bistro, Cafe des Artes, I believe, that was inexpensive and quite good. I'd not recommend eating breakfast in the hotel as I think it's too expensive--I'm not interested in a huge buffet breakfast. We ate around the corner at Cafe Clara which I think is only open on weekdays. We ate a Spanish restaurant one night which was great and different. We walked everywhere, especially to dinner. We ate at Rotisserie d'en Face one night at the hotel's recommendation, which my husband liked but I wasn't crazy about. We had a light supper at a neighborhood wine bar one night after a big lunch at a restaurant near the Invalides. Would highly recommend both. I'll look their names up and repost in the next few days. there are a lot of restaurants in the area so you shouldn't have any trouble.

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 08:56 AM
Ruth

Finally got around to digging out the restaurant info near the d'Aubusson. The wine bar is the Au Chai de l'Abbaye on rue de Buci--good wine and nice light food choices. The Restaurant des Beaux Arts on rue Mazarine was a terrific bistro. Also had a nice dinner in the Christine, the restaurant in the Hotel Christine around the corner from the d'Aubusson and it wasn't all that expensive--540 ff for two with a bottle of wine. Farther afield, we had a superb lunch at d'Chez Eux, on Avenue Lowendal, behind the Invalides--one of our favorite dining memories. Dinner at les Brezolles on rue Mabillon was also excellent. Finally, because I had fallen in love with Iberian ham on a previous trip to Spain, we ate at a Spanish restaurant, La Catalogne, cour de Commerce. All of these are in easy walking distance of the hotel, except for the Chez Eux. We did walk to the area, though, so it is doable depending upon your walking tolerance.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 09:58 AM
elaine

Ruth and Edye,
Thanks for the information, and for allaying my concerns about street noise.
Ruth, I went to Rosisserie d'en Face a couple of years ago, I wasn't too impressed either. Food was ok, but nothing about the place felt French enough for me, and for the same money there are many better places.
I'll be eager to see your other restaurant ideas.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 06:58 AM
Ruth

Elaine, I posted the restaurants we ate at just above your last message. I'd highly recommend the Chez Eux--it felt like a really French experience to me, but this was my first trip to France. Most of the waiters did not speak English (or very limited) but we got along just fine. The manager or owner came around and spoke with everyone--he spoke at least three languages. We went there because its cassoulet had been highly recommended and my husband loved it. I had a wonderful veal stew. I'm only sorry that we did lunch there instead of dinner. Yes, Rotisserie d'en Face was my only dining disappointment in Paris, but maybe it had to do with what I ordered.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 07:39 AM
elaine

thanks Ruth
I had been interrupted while writing my previous message, and by the time I actually posted it, you had already replied with the restaurants

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 05:26 PM
Eunice

We just returned from a week in Paris at the Hotel d'Aubusson and it was wonderful. We were right on the Rue Dauphine and we heard no noise, there are double windows. Our room was also pretty large. The location can't be beat!

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 10:21 AM
Edye

We are back from our stay at Hotel d'Aubusson. All in all quite a lovely hotel esp when the franc is 7.5 or higher. Do not stay in room 105. This superior room is right above th epiano bar which is very loud (in a lovely jazzy way) until 1am on Friday and Saturday nights. We didn't get back to the hotel until midnight but waiting to fall asleep that extra hour really stunk! The hotel is extremely quiet for being on a small yet busy street and so I accepted the room when we arrrived during the week, thinking it would be good not to rely on the tiny elevator. It wasn't until a few days later that the noise hit and we were really irritated. Any other room would have been okay (maybe not 104 or 106) but really any other. They did take 50% off of our rate for the 2 nights, but I would have rather switched rooms and slept better.

Good news is staff is all extremely nice except the manager was very snobby. There is so much to do in the immediate area that you can spend days and never leave! Rue Buci is 1 block away and offers just a beautiful slice of Paris life. The bathrooms are high on American standards vis a vis Europe- clean, good towels, well lit, marble floors, nice bathing in tub or shower. No bidet but who really uses one?

Even with our noise problem, I would return but heed my warning on room 105!

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 12:11 PM
Meg

Oh, no. I think we are booked into room 104 and 105 for a February trip - a Monday and Tuesday. Is 105 a loft room?

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 06:18 AM
Edye

No meg, 105 is not a loft room. I'll try to email you directly to further discuss this! 104 and 105 are next to each other. 105 has a king bed, not sure of 104. Both are decent sized. bathrooms are good in all. 106 was huge but only had 2 twins. Let's chat! I am happy to help out.