Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Kransapolsky Amsterdam, any thoughts?

Jul 4th, 2002, 06:17 PM
marko

Hi anyone have experience of this place, and position wise how close to restaurants?

Jul 4th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Jim Rosenberg

marko, it's located right off Dam Square and there are plenty of restaurants and activity in the immediate area.

Jul 4th, 2002, 08:34 PM
ajs

I all I can say is, NO. I've been to A'dam a few times, did lots of resarch, and heard nothing very good for the money at Krasnopolsky. Go to this site:

http://channels.nl/

and go to reviews with ratings. I think you'll find the Brouwer to be the hotel of choice. Look around there, something else may suit you better. Check out the Inntel for more of an American style, very central hotel. Good luck.

Jul 5th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Tony Hughes

Marko

If you do decide to stay at the rather Soviet looking Krasna, there is a small bar called Wine and Fockink located just outside the side door of the hotel; it's been there since at least the 18th century. Great place, worth a visit.

Jul 5th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Eeek! Some pretty nasty reviews on that website! My comment earlier related exclusively to its location, since I haven't stayed there. We recently used the Sofitel a few blocks away and found it to be very decent.

Jul 5th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Gina

We stayed in Krasnopolsky in February and enjoyed it very much. We got a great price, I think it was something like 115 euro. We did not eat any meals there. There are many restaurants near by, although we did not find anything I would recommend

Jul 5th, 2002, 06:13 AM
annie

marko:
I love the location, but I would recommend two others hotels that I have stayed at and have had great experiences.
Doelen (part of the golden tulip chain)
recently renovated and lovely
SAS Radisson, lovely place with an excellent breakfast.
Good luck and have fun!

Jul 6th, 2002, 12:49 AM
ttt

very interesting

Jul 6th, 2002, 10:48 PM
testy

Sorry.....its a dump !! Looks nice but really sterile !
.....and, sorry ....but it was full of whining american tourists !

Jul 9th, 2002, 11:43 AM
my recent experience

www.amsterdamhotspots.nl

I just got back last week from my first trip to Amsterdam and would highly recommend you consider hotels in the neighborhoods of Jordaan, Leidseplein, and Vondelpark. They are very close in but much more beautiful area and FAR less hectic than being right on/in/around the Dam.

Jul 16th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Nichola

Just back from Amsterdam. Although impressive looking I did not like the Dam Square area. I had looked at staying there myself and am glad I didn't. It's certainly central, busy, touristy and with plenty of bars, restaurants etc but I would agree with above post - Jordan, Museumplein or Vondelpark area is much nicer and more reflective of the "real" Amsterdam which is very pretty.