Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Koenig von Ungarn vs. Hotel Romischer Kaiser

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 11:58 AM
padbrasher

Has anyone recently stayed at either hotel in Vienna? Both appear to be well-situated and well-regarded properties. I am looking for 3 nights in August for my family and will need 2 rooms or a family appartment. Hotel KVU has quoted 320 euros for a 2 bedroom/1 bath family unit, HRK has offered 2 deluxe rooms for 181 euros each. Both include tax and breakfast.
Which one to go with?

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 04:59 PM

I haven't stayed in the RK, but that's because I continue to repeat my visits to the KVU. It's among my top 5 favorite hotels anywhere. Based on what I have read about the RK, and on the prices quoted, I'd find it difficult to make a decision--mainly because the 2 deluxe rooms would probably afford your group more privacy, comfort, and convenience. Guess this doesn't help with the decision, but I'd look at it this way: If having only one bath is adequate for the family, go with KVU. If having 2 baths is preferable, go with RK. Good luck.
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:42 AM

I have checked out both hotels and no doubt KvH is superior. I saw what may be a 2 bedroom room at KvH which was quite cute but not quite 2 bedroom - one bedroom below and then a living room with a single bed hidden away by a curtain. Possibly other more definite 2 rooms exist but just be a little wary. Romischer Kaiser in my view is fairly typical Viennese kitsch - lots of pretty little pink flowers type decor. If you want that fine, if you do not avoid.
For family considerations, I have recommended in the past Starlight Suites - www.starlighthotel.com on Renngasse which is more modern style and gives small kitchenette facilities, air con etc and I am pretty sure has proper 2 bed + lounge accommodation. Not the old world charm of KvH but in other ways superior.
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:57 AM
padbrasher

Wayne & TravelNick,
I have booked 2 double rooms at the KvU @ 192 euros, incl. tax and breakfast... just a little more expensive than the Romische Kaiser. One other hotel that has been recommended to me by friends in the Kaiserin Elizabeth. Any thoughts on it?
Thanks for the info on Starlight Suites, but I do want to stay with the old-world atmosphere.

Old May 5th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Hopefully, the KvU has AC, because you could really need it in August.
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:44 PM
padbrasher

BettyK: I have confirmed that the KvU is indeed air-conditioned! Thanks for tip.

Old May 10th, 2004, 08:25 PM

I just got back from the KVU and I loved it. I like that you can make phone calls direct to the US for 20 cents a minute. The breakfast is great and the staff is very helpful.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:55 PM
padbrasher

tledford: It's great to hear from a recent guest that the KvU is as good as it sounds. Thanks for the message...I am looking forward to our trip to Austria.

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Just returned from VIenna. Our family of 5 stayed at KvU for 4 nights & Radisson 1 night (on return from Salzburg). The family room we stayed in at KvU had a bedroom with a small sitting area on the first floor with WC and sinks/bath in the hall. Upstairs was a bedroom with 3 beds and a small sitting area. The staff was very helpful, great location, we walked everywhere. Liked a casual Italian restaurant, Spaghetti & co at corner of St. Stephans and an Austrian restaurant Gasthaus Pfudl which was several blocks away.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 11:32 AM
padbrasher

Thanks BetsyG. I just read your trip report also. We will be in Salzburg, Hallstatt and Vienna in August with our sons, 13 & 16 years. Any further suggestions are appreciated.

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:13 PM

Since no one seems to have answered your question about the Kaiserin Elisabeth, I'll try. (But I think you will be happier with the rooms at KvU)

Kaiserin Elisabeth is a good hotel, in a good location just a couple of blocks south of St. Stephan's. It's partly a very old building (like the 15th century) and partly newer. It did not have A/C as of a few years ago, but I don't know about whether A/C might have been added lately. I'd call it a moderate typical old Viennese hotel, not as nice as the KVU but also a bit lower in cost. Parking (if you have a car) is an additional charge, as is the case with KVU and most other hotels in the central district.

Since you have those reservations at KVU, I'd suggest you keep them. Good luck.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 03:41 PM

We love the KVU! Stayed there 3 times, 4 in September. Great hotel. I'm the same as the others: Can't comment on other Vienna hotels because we always stay at the KVU!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 07:24 AM
padbrasher

Wayne & Stevey: Thanks for the comments. Hotel KvU certainly has a loyal following...I look forward to our stay in August.

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 08:24 AM

Not sure if you've found something in Salzburg, but we had a wonderful stay at the Sacher-Salzburg. I believe it used to go under another name. Great view, great location, reasonableprices in the dining room, and, of course, the Sacher torte.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 02:48 PM

padbrasher et.al:
I have enjoyed reading this thread, and have found it very helpful. My husband and 19-yr. old son will be meeting in Vienna next month. We are looking for a hotel that will provide us 2 rooms without cutting deeply into our budget. This one sounds like a winner.

Did you book at a website, by fax, or phone? I appreciate your help! Thank you.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Boymom

We booked our rooms directly with the hotel via their website: www.kvu.at. It was very easy and they responded within 24 hours.

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 07:49 PM

Dear Padbrasher,

My wife and I stayed at the Blau Gans (Blue Goose) in Salzburg. It was a good hotel. I forget the name of the main walking street it is located on but it is the same street as the Mozart house.

Salzburg is beautiful. Go listen to some Mozart at the Fortress at night but get the cheap seat tickets. The room is so small that you can hear great no matter where you sit.

The Sound of Music tour sounded hokey, was hokey, and we loved it. The slide thing down the hill was fun. Eat an apple strudel at the restaurant across from the church where Julie Andrews married Christopher Plummer.

I cannot speak about the Hotel Romischer Kaiser but I can highly recommend the King of Hungary. I made the choice to stay there based on a recommendation from this Website/forum bya fellow who stayed there when ever he went to Vienna which was often. He was right.

I thought the staff was great. There was a big strike during a holiday while we were there and I remember the staff warning us about it. His advice saved the day.

In Vienna I recommend the Schonbrunn (sic) palace, the spagetti restaurant recommended by BetseyG, the Hofburg, the Stephensdom, my favorite European Church, the art museums, but blow off the Prater.

Have a great time.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 07:20 AM

cindiRed: I also used the internet to reserve our rooms at KvU. They were very efficient in responding to my request.

Stevey: Thanks for the tip re: Sacher-Salzburg. It's fully booked for one of our three nights, plus room rates were in excess of 300 euros per night! So, it looks like we are keeping our Blaue Gans reervations.

johndpringle: Thanks for the Mozart concert advice. Did you purchase your tickets in advance? Please tell me how to acquire tickets.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 07:26 AM

johndpringle: I don't speak German, so it took me awhile to appreciate your recommendatin for the King of Hungary Hotel, a/k/a Konig von Ungarn. Bravo!!!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 02:00 PM

Thanks to all of you! I have enjoyed reading your accounts, recs, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO