hotel in Venice

Feb 22nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

hotel in Venice

My husband and I are traveling to Italy and have not booked our hotel for Venice yet. I am very confused on locations....we want to be close to everything. The hotel options say locations like Lido Island, Venezia, Marghera, and In city center....What do I want to look for in regards to a good location?
Feb 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

please anyone....
Feb 22nd, 2007, 04:44 PM

in city centre Lido Island is (at his name states) another island , and Mestre and Marghera are on land, not in the Venezia lagoon Anywhere in city centre is ok if you are able to walk , it's not very big though it's full of bridges and stairs
Feb 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM

Hi dlhindi, definitely DO NOT stay on Lido, Marghera or Mestre...way too far. Anywhere else in Venice proper is honestly fine, except in my opinion the area immediately surrounding the train station. Venice is extremely walkable - I am generally pretty lazy but Venice is SO amazing to walk around in that even a long distance after a big meal is a pleasure. It depends on your tastes, of course, but I would recommend you not stay anywhere immediately around Saint Mark's square, as this is really touristy. If you want something a bit more authentic, but nonetheless close to St. Mark's, you could try Dorsoduro, the area to the left of St. Mark's across the Accademia bridge. (There's a map with the Venetian "sestiere" or neighborhoods here: http://www.veniceclick.net/Images/Ve...map-Venice.gif). I lived in Venice for a short while so let me know if you have any questions about a specific hotel, I might be able to tell you about the area. I once stayed in a small, cheap hotel by the fish market, which was a fantastic location - very near to Rialto.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

thx MP...Have you heard of Hotel Delfino or Hotel Palladio?
Feb 22nd, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

ok I am so confused about the venice locations..... I looked at maps and am checking hotels.com...can anyone recomend specific cheap hotels in good location somewhat around St Marks square?
Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:10 PM

The Dorsodura area of Venice is suppose to be lovely and not quite as congested as the San Marco area yet close to museums, etc.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:15 PM

What are your dates?
You say "cheap hotels in good location". What is your budget?

These would be helpful to know when recommending particular hotels.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:20 PM

http://www.hotelcaformenta.it/en/albergo.htm

We loved this place, ask for a room up front when you make reservations and you won't be sorry. It's got an amazing veiw of the main waterway and St. Mark's Square to the left. It's far enough away from the crowds but easy walking to anywhere and water taxi stops.

We went in Oct so there wasn't to much of a problem with mosquitos that you have in the warmer months.

Lido is great to visit but I wouldn't want to stay there, it's really out of the way when you have to take a ferry to it.

Also, check out www.venere.com for more offerings on hotels.

Remember, Venice isn't that big but it requires lots of walking through some narrow and sometimes crowed areas.

Get a Cafe Corretto and you'll be happy!
Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

We are actually leaving for Rome on Wed. 2-28 and plan to arrive in Venice on 3-5 coming up very soon. I would like to stay by St Marks. Looking to spend 100 dollars and under per night. please advise. thx for all the help
Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:27 PM

Try Hotel Centauro - it's 5 minutes from Rialto and 5 minutes from St Marks Square and also only 5 minutes from Accademia Bridge. Situated at Campo Manin. We found it an excellent location, close to it all. The breakfast is included in price and was very good. We paid 66 euro in January for a double room (we had originally booked without bath but they upgraded us for the same cost). Think price for bath was 88 euro normal price. We really enjoyed it and would stay there again.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:01 PM

Hello dlhindi, although I have never stayed at the Hotel Cenauro I am familar with Venice and I think that amandab's suggestion for the Hotel Cenauro is a very good one. Do keep in mind that you will have to walk to it with your luggage but assuming that it not a problem it certainnly seems to fit in with what you want including the price. Here is the website:

http://www.hotelcentauro.com/en/
Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:43 AM

Venice is not a great place to be carring your suitcases up and down bridges etc. so close to a ferry stop is good. We prefer not to be situated in the middle of the tourist traps surrounding St. Marks also. We stayed in Pensione La Calcina (where Ruskin also stayed)
www.lacalcina.com
which is on the Zattere in Dorsoduro. Has its own deck on the water where you can eat. Charming hotel, the #82 Vaporetto stops just down the Zattere - or you can catch it to St. marks if you want. There is a supermarket (somewhat hidden - look for the people carrying shopping bags full of produce) further along the Zattere also. Can walk to St. Marks and the Accademia in a few minutes, close to some lovely small art galleries and right down the other end of the Zattere is the church of Miss Garnetts Angel.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:32 AM

Hi, dlhindi -

just looked at the web-site for lacalcina and book-marked it for future refernce. Haven't stayed, but it looks great and very good value. It's not quite as central as some, but should therefore be quieter.

venice is in any case a great place for walking, and as you can access the accademia bridge from the hotel, you won't be waiting for water buses all the time.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

REgards

Ann
Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:57 AM

We love the hotel Concordia in Venice.

www.hotelconcordia.com

The rooms are gorgeous, the location is ideal and breakfast is included in the room rate.

This site gives good info
http://www.venere.com/
Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice. any others is also welcome. I will not have any luggage besides a backpack as I will be leaving my primary luggage in Rome at my sisters house.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:49 PM

I suggest that for any hotel recommended that you look at ALL the reviews for it on TripAdvisor.com before making any final decisions.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:14 PM

If you look at www.venere.com for hotels in Venice, it shows them on a map of the city. Dorsoduro, Cannareggio, Castello are all good areas.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:29 PM

I have stayed twice at Pensione La Calcina and highly recommend it if you can get a reservation. www.lacalcina.com You don't need a view room, any room will be OK. A nice breakfast is included.

...but thanks to the recommendation above, I want to book a trip to Venice and stay at Hotel Centauro. it looks interesting!

Don't stay out on the Lido, it would not be convenient at all... stay somewhere in central Venice. Either Dosoduro, San Marco, Rialto, or even around the train station. Check a map & you'll get the feel for things.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:56 PM

Hi, if interested in staying at Hotel Centauro - I can just explain how to find it exactly....
As you enter Campo Manin (say if arriving from the Rialto end), there is a large statue in the middle of the square, you will be facing the back of the statue. If you look to your left, you will see two small alleyways - take the larger of the alleyways (the one on the right), and the hotel is down the end - can't miss it - there is a small sign sticking out from the top of the door. We would have had trouble finding it if we hadn't read the reviews on the web site, someone kindly had left detailed instructions on how to find the place. Also it isn't a good idea to walk there with all your luggage from the train station (like we did, and we learned our lesson I can tell you). Take the number 1 water bus and get off at Rialto - then it's just an easy 5 minute walk. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO