Hotel in Stockholm

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Stockholm

Hello!

Anybody knows about "Alexandra Hotel" in Stockholm? If you have been staying there, would you recommend it?

Any other hotel you would suggest? We will be there June 26 to July 2nd and we would like to stay near que Old Town (Gamla Stan) if possible.

Thanks in advance for the good advices!
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:19 PM

What is your price range? I am headed there on July 3rd and have been looking in the Galma Stan area but it's a little too pricey for me. But I heard that the Grand Hotel and Hotel Rica are supposed to be good. Would love to share itinerary ideas if you have any. We are looking at doing a dinner archipelago cruise and checking out Djurgarden and the Vasamuseet wareship museum.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:50 PM

It looks nice on the website. I stayed in Gamla Stan at a hotel called Lady Hamilton. The building is very old, dating from 1400 something. I was there in the dead of winter, just after New Years and I found this hotel to be very warm and cozy. Not sure I would like it as well in the summer depending on how hot the weather is. I know SOME of the rooms are airconditioned but NOT all.

The staff were wonderful, we had breakfast included in the room rate and it was really nice..lots of selection and really good. The room are really small. The Alexandra looked like their rooms were quite a bit larger, at least on the website.

I loved the Lady Hamilton and it looked to be in about the same price range as the Alexandra. The location could not be beat. The other possible downside could be the summer crowds. It was fairly crowded when I was there because it was Christmas Holiday in Russia. There were a lot of Russian tour groups because the Palace and the Nobel Museum are right in the heart of Gamla Stan, and also the Stockholm Cathedral.

You might check the Lady Hamiton out online...just google and see if it's anything that would interest you. Again, it is a totally different look and feel from the Alexandra.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM

The rooms on the very top floor at the Lady Hamilton have A/C.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Hello MMDI, Creflors and others...

I spent the afternoon searching for an hotel and the ones I thought would be OK were all booked up on the date we will be in Stockholm (June 26th to July 2nd). I wrote to the "Lady Hamilton" that Creflors suggested (thank you!) and also to the "Lord Nelson" and to the "Victory Hotel" even if they were a bit over our budget. They all replied a few minutes later, which surprised me... and had no disponibility. The Lord Nelson suggested a superior room at 2350 SWK (338$ US) + 90 SWK (13$ US) for the breakast... much too expensive for me! Grand Hotel and Hotel Rica are also very $$$ (at least around 350$US a night!)

Our son who lives in Umea (North of Sweeden) suggested that we rent a room or an appartment, which is very popular in that country. I found the idea very interesting. Try: http:/www.guestroom.se/
and see if it would be convenient for you. I already made a reservation (without obligation) of a 2 room appartment (138 $US a night, very well situated near Gamla Stan) and I'm expecting a reply within 24 hours.

If you want ideas as what to visit while in Stockholm, this site is very interesting: http://www.stockholmtown.com/

By the way, if you want to see beautiful photos, go to: http://www.pbase.com/annforcier/stockholm_2006

Hope you understood all I wrote... I'm french canadian and lack practice in English since I'm retired!!!

Miche

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 04:09 PM
nbujic

Gamla Stan is packed in the summer. There are a lot of hotels just 5-10 min. from GS. , much quieter ( if you have to keep the window open).

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

Could you suggest some?

Thanks!

Miche
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 08:53 PM
nbujic

I don't know your price range: there is Hilton and Grand Hotel both a few min. from Gamla Stan , most likely very exp. I saw Radisson near by as well. You want to be on Lower Norrmalm.( just across from the Old Town)
Stockholm is easy to get around with an excellent subway system.
The area right next to the railway station is the only unattractive part of the city (ugly 60s buildings) but the rest is fantastic.
Sorry I cannot give you more hotel names, I stayed in a private residence.

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.!

I have to choose now between Crystal Plaza Hotel and Anno 1647 Hotel. They seem both well situated and are not too expensive. Anybody knows about these hotels?

Thanks so much!

Miche