Hotel in Roda, Spain

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 01:45 PM
dahlia

Hotel in Roda, Spain

Help! I need a hotel in Roda or nearby Roda and it seems all hotels in Roda (Reina Victoria, Parador, San Miguel)are booked. I would love to stay in any of those hotels because of the view but........so please, any suggestion fellow Fodorites (I would rather listen to you than any other source). Thanks a million!

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 02:03 PM
mary lewis

I am assuming you mean "Ronda"

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Pancho

Hummm, I was assuming you meant Rota, across the Bay from Cadiz? Check your spelling & get back to us.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Maribel

Dahlia,
I know you mean Ronda; no Parador in Rota!
Last July I discovered a charming little place which I can recommend highly, the San Gabriel, tucked away in the atmospheric Old Quarter ("La Ciudad"), but within easy walking distance of everything. It's only been open for a little over 2 yrs and belongs to a prominent Ronda family who lovingly and painstakingly restored an 18th c seignorial mansion with exquisite taste, a sharp eye for detail (they spent yrs. restoring the grand staircase to get it "just right"), and furnished it with their own personal collection of antiques plus those that were already part of the history of the home (which once belonged to the Trujillo family). The friendly owners still live on the top floor and take a great deal of pride in what they've created. It has a kind of upper class English country house feel, each of the 16 rooms is decorated differently (#9 is a charming suite), and they have a tapas bar adjacent. In the bar you'll see the cape that the famous young matador Francisco Rivera (of the Ronda dynasty of bullfighters) gave to the family from his first bullfight. They've also made a cozy parlor with fireplace in the basement that's used for private parties. For such sweet and pretty little place, the rates are extrememly reasonable-11,000 pts for a double and only 13,000 pts for the suite (last yrs.' prices)
When Karen Brown discovers it, I'm sure she'll include it in her Spain guide, as it's like her other unique, delightful, special places to stay-a high quality family run bed and breakfast inn with very reasonable tariffs. Camino Tours uses the San Gabriel for their White Towns walking tour, and I know from personal experience that they choose unique, out of the way aeries for their guests. As spiffy and comfortable as the Ronda Parador is, I actually prefer the privacy and hominess of the San Gabriel. I'm glad I found it-I'll definitely return! Give it a try.
www.ronda.net/usuar/hotelsgabriel
952 19 03 92
email: [email protected]

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 06:47 PM
dahlia

Thank you very much Maribel, for understanding the wrong spelling! It's so good to hear from you re San Gabriel because I just e-mailed the hotel a while ago (I got the info from Frommer's) but your description got me so excited about the place. Do you know if the hotel has a view? I need somemore info, same thing is happening with Nerja. The parador, Balcon de Europa are fully booked. I tried Hotel Carabeo (phone and fax) but was not able to get anything, I think they are still close (off-season?). Will appreciate your help and of others. Thanks.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Pedro

Ronda is divided in two parts. Tho Old Town called "la ciudad" where you can find San Gabriel ( Nice old house beautifully restored ) and the rest that makes the main part of the city. Among those two parts you have a wonderful bridge which is the essence of Ronda, so do not worry if you donīt have views from San Gabriel, since Ronda is really nice and safe to walk around and enjoy the sunset or the views over the mountains. It is really nice the Parador to have coffee or drinks and we always have good meals at Meson Santiago, a restaurant within an old house situated close to a big square with a church in the new town.
If you donīt have luck with any hotel in Ronda I would recommend you to check Villas Turisticas de Grazalema, 25 minutes away from Ronda but really scenic place. Grazalema is a wonderful white town surrounded by the most striking mountains in the area. Their web page is www.cadiz.org/tugasa/grazalema.html
Just a curiosity. If you like to be alone, you have a car and have some time to spend there, Acinipo roman theatre, not far from Ronda, going north, is your place.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 04:05 AM
Maribel

Hi Dahlia,
As Pedro says, you won't have a view from your rm at the San Gabriel, but you'll love the area and other pretty houses where it's located, and views of the Tajo are just 5 min. away. Forgot to mention that the hotel has a miniscule 6 seat theater and library, plus it received a red rating for charm from the Michelin red guide 2001 and was featured in a recent article in the British version of C.Nast Traveller. The owner/director is Jose Arnal Perez.
For dining in Ronda we like the traditional Pepe Romero and the new Tragabuches (has a Michelin star).
Sorry I can't help you with Nerja.
Good luck!

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 09:06 AM
dahlia

Thanks very much Pedro and Maribel. Maribel, San Gabriel confirmed my reservation already, can't wait to see Ronda/San Gabriel. Again, muchas gracias.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Graziella

Gracias Pedro and Maribel for great information. Let me say that I stayed at the Parador and was a little dissapointed. It is new but no charm at all. I wish I had know of San Gabriel!!

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 08:58 PM
karen

I'm also looking for a hotel in Ronda for the end of June. Does the San Gabriel have air conditioning? How does this hotel compare to the Don Miguel?

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Maribel

Karen,
The San Gabriel does have A.C. I haven't stayed at the Don Miguel but have see the inside. It's an older hotel, a classic, inexpensive small hotel, while the S. G. just opened in Dec. '99. The San Gabriel just oozes with charm and is very "private", tranquil, gracious, completely non-commercial, very much like staying in the beautiful, antique filled, tastefully appointed country home of a well-to-do, well connected Ronda family (which is exactly what you are doing!) The furnishings are beautiful, everything is fresh and shining; the family takes a great deal of pride in their home and hospitality. The full name of the San Gabriel is "Hotel San Gabriel-Su Casa en Ronda", your house in Ronda.
Try it.