Search

hotel in paris?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2006, 07:00 PM
kardon

hotel in paris?

This is one of those posts you folks may raise eyebrow at...(cuz I do, when others do this)

I have not been to Paris since 1972. Just decided that I'd like to visit again ...for four days around Thanksgiving. What hotel do you suggest? I can do anything from inexpesive B&B to $300/night. I am a 57 yr old female, traveling alone. Good health and adventurous.

Old May 20th, 2006, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are just going to have to narrow down to favorite Arr.and type of hotel at the least---(charming,boutique etc..) go to trip advisor and get about 4 choices and then ask...I personally make it a point to stay near a RER and convenient metro stop and walking distance from the river..others have other criteria...
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes - do give something to work w/. &quot;<i>anything from inexpesive B&amp;B to $300/night</i>&quot; narrows things down to maybe 400-500 properties . . . . .
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:33 PM

Traveling alone, I'd pick the Bonaparte mainly for location and because ira likes it so much.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:30 PM
kardon

I sort of expected these replies.

I really don't know. I wanted to find out from other older woman who travels alone &quot;where&quot; their favorite places are.

charming is good. have no idea what good location would be.

i've asked the same question for other destinations...and learned of Empress Zoe in Istanbul, Hotel Harmony in Mykono, etc. Surely older women here can tell me of their favorite lodging.

Old May 21st, 2006, 02:24 AM

I guess I qualify as an older woman!!

We particularly like the rue Jacob area hotels in the 6th. They all would fall in your price range. We've not stayed in any of the single rooms but the doubles at the Millesime, du Danube, d&quot;angleterre, Lenox still are within your budget.We like that area because so many places are within walking distance..Louvre, Notre Dame, D'Orsay, Rodin..and there are loads of cafes and bistros , where a single woman will feel comfortable dining alone. It's close to the rue de Buci market street and just 1 block from Blvd St Germaine des Pres.
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:10 AM

Try the Hotel Bretonnerie in rue Ste Croix de la Bretonnerie - take a junior suite if you like a sitting area or just a standard room

http://www.parisby.com/labretonnerie/pages/gallery.htm

or try the Hotel Les Degres de Notre Dame and if you are really fit try the top floor room #501 on the 5th floor french style = 501 or 6th for USA) or get room 24 on the second if you are not so fit (I puffed getting to the French 4th floor)

http://lesdegreshotel.monsite.wanadoo.fr/index.jhtml

Or if you dont want to throw money around on hotels so you can spend iot on scarves etc and want to be in the centre try either Hotel des Grandes Ecoles (can you live without a TV)

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75005ecoles.htm

Or one of the rooms on the 4th floor overlooking rue de Rivoli at Hotel de Nice

http://www.hoteldenice.com/
Old May 21st, 2006, 04:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - first question is -- What is &quot;older&quot; about 57???? Prime of life if you ask me.

But anyway. There are literally hudreds of places that would be perfectly fine for you. You must have <u>some</u> preference for type of property or budget. Since there are soooooo many to choose from you really ought to start out w/ a basic wish list. Then we can recommend the perfect spot.

Is the view more important, or the room size? Do you like larger properties or tiny ones? In an &quot;artsy&quot; neighborhood or in a high end shopping district? Do you like mimimalist/modern, or cozy/traditional?
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:31 AM

Hi Kardon
I am an over 55 woman &amp; my husband is 60. We just got back from Paris &amp; we stayed at The Left Bank - St. Germaine-Des-Pres 3* Best Western hotel. We paid E210 for our top floor room - which had a wonderful view of the Notre Dame lit up at night. It has a great location &amp; a lot of charm. AND..what we liked is that it was a quiet hotel in the midst of a lively area.
9,rue de l'Ancienne Comedie - www.paris-hotels-charm.com or go to the Best Western website to check it out.
Hope this helps
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:55 AM

At 52 I went to Paris around Thanksgiving too. Now that said, I started out in an apartment...which I still think is a great idea for me, but that one didn't work out...I switched to the Hotel Relais du Louvre's single room. It was narrow, but one doesn't have to go outside the room just to change your mind! I loved it. I'll return there.
Also, it was a lovely time of year. Days are short, but it IS the City of Light.
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:11 AM

Just FYI the Bonaparte expects a prepaid deposit. If you cancel they will charge you a 16 euro cancellation fee. Their rates are reasonable for St. Germain, but no one here ever mentions the information about their deposit and cancellation policies.

Anyway, for $300/night you can have a choice of many nice properties.
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:45 AM

come on, let's not be naive -- 57 is prime of life if you think you will live to 115. Not going to happen. It is older, you can't deny it, it's not something to be ashamed of or not prentend isn't happening.. I'm in my 50s and don't try to pretend I'm not. This is older than people in their 20s-30s, obviously, you can't deny that as it's a fact.

Having said that, I travel alone a lot to Paris and other European cities and have never thought of choosing a hotel based on my age, actually. Sure, I wouldn't want to stay in some hip place for fashion models or something like that, but that sure is rare and not on my horizon (some in NY may be like that). YOu have to decide what level of comfort you want, and then look at locations. I just think you'd want to be in a convenient area in the center and near a metro stop -- that's basically how I choose. I also don't like being on real big streets or in the real crowded tourist areas, but that's a personal thing (I dislike noise intensely, and crowds) and many others like those locations for proximity.

As long as you are willing to spend up to $300, might as well stay in St Germain, you can afford it and most people seem to like it.
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:49 PM

Kardon, What do you anticipate doing while you are there and is is more important to be close to Notre Dame or the Louvre, the be in a quaint neighborhood or to have a great view?
Old May 21st, 2006, 04:03 PM
ira

Hi K,

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. Singles from 95-140E w/bkfst. Has AC

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter &quot;Hotel Bonaparte&quot; in the &quot;search this forum&quot; box.

Photos are at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&amp;y=-l95uyr

It is very conveniently located near Metro stops and buses. Youcan walk to many interesting sights.

Old May 21st, 2006, 05:28 PM

We returned 2 weeks ago, I'd recommend Hotel Le Regent, 61, rue Dauphine. It's on the border of St. Germain and Quartier Latin. 3*, Superior Deluxe room for 225 euro. Excellent staff, great location!! I've just posted a full trip report if you're interested.
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Im much older and was alone in February and stayed in the Marai's, near a metro and bus stops. Loved it!
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:43 PM
kardon

thank you. this has been great fun reading. i will folow thru on your advices.

Although 57 is chronologically old (as my body tells me), I do not feel old at all. I've traveld through all parts of China, Tibet, Turkey, Australia, etc. and will be spending three weeks in Africa this summer. It's just that Paris got forgotten since 1972. I've stayed in everything from Four Seasons in Istanbul to some little dive in the middle of Gobi Desert.

I don't know what I want to do--I will know when I get there. I just like feeling safe when I am in my hotel room tho

Thanks everyone.

Old May 21st, 2006, 05:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Just curious, but if you stayed in a dive in the Gobi Desert, why are you worrying about feeling safe in a Paris Hotel room?
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:14 PM

Kardon, I am not quite you vintage but close... I would think you would be happy in the 6th near the 7th. I used to live there. Very safe- tres BCBG. There is a hotel around the corner from my old flat- ..I am not sure of the name but I think something like Duc Saint simeon (or Simon). Lovely quiet..but not too quiet neighborhood off rue du Bac
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:54 PM
kardon

cigalechanta
A dive in Gobi Desert is amazingly safe. I loved it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -