Search

Hotel in Nice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Laurie

Hotel in Nice

Anybody stayed at the Splendid Hotel in Nice? Comments about it would be appreciated. Thanks

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 03:06 PM
brett

No but I do recommend hotel westminster which is located next door to Hotel Negresco on the Promenade. It was a great hotel.<BR>Brett

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 12:42 PM
jill

i recommend the Hotel grimaldi in Nice- beautiful rooms and very pleasant staff

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Ray

Hi Jill<BR>Thanks for reinforcing the Grimaldi! My wife and I will stay there during our first ever visit to this area, celebrating our 31st anniversary ( phew!) and are very excited about the Hotel and the adventure of experiencing Nice! Can you recommend any tips for a 3 day visit? we'll enjoy the flowermarket, Place Massena, Matissee, etc. Is Monte Carlo worth the 'sightsee' time? Thanks for your reply!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 01:42 PM
jjj

Laurie:<BR><BR>We stayed in their sister hotel last year (the Gounoud 3*'s) and had a wonderful experience. <BR><BR>By staying there we are allowed to use the facilities (pool, restraunt, etc) at the Splendid. So the first day we went over to use the pool; I was wearing a dress, my husbad kakies & polo shirt. We inquired at the desk the direction of the pool and the clerk was RUDE with a Capital R. When we got upstairs the pool was outside the bar and the bartender wanted nothing to do with us, he treated us like dirt. Evenghough we were invited every night, via a menu under our door, for a special priced meal in their restraunt we never returned after that experience.<BR><BR>Maybe they will treat you better, but after my brief experiences I would have to recommend either the Gounod or the Windsor (both 3*'s). The Gounod staff was great and they had a very nice hot breakfast. We bought so many souvinears that when we left, the desk clerk joked that if we had stayed longer than a week we would not have enough luggage to get everything home with.<BR><BR>The Windsor has a beautiful courtyard and from friends who have stayed there I have been told the staff is wonderful there as well. We are going there this year.<BR><BR>Kind of a long post, but hope this helps you.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Wendy

Laurie,<BR><BR>I second the recommendation for the Westminster, which is one of our favorite hotels. The Splendid has smallish though nice rooms without much of a view, and is about a five-ten minute walk from the Promenade des Anglais which fronts the beach. I think it's not much cheaper than the Westminster, so for the money I'd rather have a larger room with a view of the sea. Good luck!

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Jo

Hi<BR>Just returned from my third visit to Nice in a year. I stayed at the Gournod last September and used the pool at the Splendid every day without a problem!<BR>The Grimaldi looks super and is now 4star but I have not managed to get a room there. I think in common with the Windsor you need to book well in advance<BR>Lots of wonderful places to visit, I think it's best to hire a car then you can see some of the less well known places that are not so busy, but parking in Nice is very difficult, the trains are good and quite frequent.<BR>My favourite places are Eze, Mention, Haut Cagnes, Gorbio .....<BR>The Matisse exhibition is wonderful and you can spend lots of time day and evening wondering around the old town. We found a brilliant restaurant,a simple little bistro, no phone or credit cards, two sittings 7and 9pm call in to book-La Merenda 4 Rue De La Terrasse closed Sat and Sunday<BR>Have a great time<BR>Jo