Hotel in Luzern

Aug 27th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Hotel in Luzern

We are spending 2 nights in Luzern at the end of our trip and DH wants to splurge on the hotel. I've found most of the more expensive hotels within the same price range on the internet so just need to know if there is a benefit to being on the river(Des Balances which a lot of people seem to love) vs. on the lake (Palace or Schweizerhof). I've also read lovely comments about Wilden Mann. Any thoughts?
Aug 27th, 2003, 07:48 AM

I'm sure any of the hotels mentioned would be fabulous. We stayed at Des Balances in a river view room last year and though the room was small, we had a little balcony overlooking the river, the bridges and mountains. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. By the way, I emailed the hotel directly and got a rate of CH 194 which was much lower than their website rate.
Aug 27th, 2003, 08:06 AM

WOW - CHF 194? What time of year did you get that rate for Des Balances? Was it January 5th or some other totally off season time?! The best rate we could get for a river view for June 16th 2004 for was CHF 316 each night for 3 nights, down from CHF 395 on their website.

We want to stay there too, but the rate is kind of high compared to what you got.

Thanks,
Steve
USA
Aug 27th, 2003, 08:14 AM

Hi, dellyb.
I had a river view room at Des Balances last fall. The view was wonderful. And the location of the hotel is great - right in the middle of the old part of town.
Have a great time.
Aug 27th, 2003, 08:17 AM

We liked the location of Des Balances a lot. We actually stayed at the less-pricey Des Alpes (perfect location by the bridge), but Des Balances looked hard to beat. As Judy mentioned, it's right in the heart of town.
Aug 27th, 2003, 08:27 AM

Sorry, Steve, that should have been US $194 or CH 320. I thought that was a great rate for a river view room, especially when compared to the rates other lesser hotels were charging. (That rate also included full breakfast and taxes.) We were there in mid-May last year and I booked our room in November 2001.
Aug 27th, 2003, 08:41 AM

The Schweizerhof and the Palace are very grand hotels looking out over the expanse of the lake and the mountains but they are further away from the old town. I think the location of Des Balances on the river has a lot more character, the views of the bridges are lovely and the location is right where the most life is, I would go for Des Balances.
Aug 27th, 2003, 10:37 AM

Cool - we'll go with Des Balances too! Can't wait till next June for Switzerland, OR this Sept 12, 2003, when we leave for 2 weeks in France. Thanks to all you, our trips will be MUCH better and more informed.

Steve
USA
Aug 27th, 2003, 10:49 AM

Oh - 1 more thing - Des Balances offered us a Junior Suite overlooking the river w/balcony for CHF 376 a night. Would you spring for the difference from 316 to 376 for the junior suite? When I mentioned it to my wife - she smiled hugely and started panting. Then I told her "$50 a night difference, honey... that's a free dinner for 2 each night we're there". She then said, yeah, I guess you're right. Would YOU spring for the nicer room?

Thanks,
Steve
USA
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:49 AM

Mr. Go, you mentioned Des Alpes; I stayed there years ago, my first trip to Europe, and I'd like to hear what it's like now. Thank you!
Aug 27th, 2003, 12:11 PM

Grandmere...Probably not too different from when you stayed there. Our 3rd floor room overlooked the bridge and Mt. Pilatus...one of the best hotel room views I've ever had!

The room was certainly adequate (for 3 stars), the food was decent, and the staff helpful and efficient (though not always cheerful). But the selling point for us was the location. Right on the river, right by the bridge, right in the heart of the old town.

My only major complaint about that location: the next-door Hotel Pickwick has a noisy English pub that stays open late, crawling with a plague of loud, drunken tourists.
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!! I booked a room at Des Balances this afternoon for our trip next month.
Aug 28th, 2003, 02:25 AM

Delyb:

You will love the Des Balances. We had a third floor room, center of hotel, with a large balcony overlooking the river. It is immediately across the river from the Jesuit Church. The view is fantastic. You can see the covered bridge, etc from your room, if you are fortunate enough to get a balcony. We went in May 2002 (might have been some fallout in terms of low tourism from 9-11) and I booked the room through expedia.com for $150.00 US per night. We got a junior suite, HUGE room, HUGER (sp) bathroom, excellent value. Close enough to the train station that my wife and I walked to the hotel. Lucerne was a fascinating city. Do take the steamer boat trip across the lake. The mountain views are fabulous, and the boat stops in many small village where you can disembark for lunch and then catch the next boat back.

Dave Zemens
Rochester, Michigan
Aug 28th, 2003, 05:13 AM

Good morning, we have used the
WILDEN MANN a number of tiems in p ast
years and found it to be a most excellant hotel, with attentive and intelligent staff as well as two very
good ristorantes. Our family has used this hotel since 1953....
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Search this Thread