Reload this Page >

Hotel in Florence

Search

Hotel in Florence

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 08:11 AM
anne

Hotel in Florence

Two fold question: <BR> <BR>Am going with my husband to Florence in Nov. and think we'll stay at the Beacci Tournabuoni- would any of you rant and ravers please tell us specifically which room to request (many ravers said all rooms were different- some much better than others) <BR>Or any specific hotel room requests would be appreciated <BR> <BR>Also, we'll drive from Nice to Florence and would like suggestions as to where to stop and spend one night along the way? <BR> <BR>Thanks!!!

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Linda

I stayed at the Beacci Tournabuoni with a girlfriend two years ago, and we loved it. The first room we were given was right on the main floor, off the lobby area. It was rather small, though charming, and noisy with all the comings and goings of other guests. We requested a change and were given another room on the main floor, but beyond the breakfast room and lounge. This room was much larger, and very quiet. Sorry, I don't remember the room numbers. The location of the hotel was perfect, and the staff very helpful.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 07:50 AM
anne

Thanks Linda- maybe I'll ask for a room on an upper floor to avoid the commotion. How long did you stay in Florence and is a week too long? Thanks again!

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Tina

Anne: <BR> <BR>I don't think a week is too long in Florence. And even should you tire of all the wonderful museums, leather shops, etc. you can easily take several day trips outside of Florence. In fact, since you do have a week you really want to put Siena on your 'must see' list. An easy drive or if you've already turned in your car, then can take the SITA bus (1 hr trip) or train to Siena. Another smaller charming Italian city to visit on day trip is Lucca. And there's always Pisa -- however the Leaning Tower won't reopen until mid-December.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 12:28 PM
John G

I was a week in Firenze in January and I didn't get to do half of the things I had planned. I could easily spend a month there.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 05:06 PM
steve

We just stayed there at the end of September. The location was very convenient. I found the staff very helpful. They all spoke excellent English and were useful in obtaining reservations for the galleries. They also suggested a very good oesteria across the river called Osteria del Cinchiale Bianco. We stayed in room 33. It was a little bit of a maze from the front desk and down one flight of stairs. The room was ample in sizeand quiet with no hint of street noise. The air conditioner was fairly weak, but you will not be needing AC in November. Nothing spectacular for view to a back courtyard area. The hotel does have a pretty terrace restaurant. My wife and I enjoyed the library/sitting room which is good for reading, playing scrabble, or small group meetings. Breakfast was good. Typical rolls, pastries, yogut, cereal buffet served with very good coffee. <BR>The bathroom was adequate as Italy goes. I just wish Italy would outlaw shower curtains. Bed was nice an firm with good pillows. Say hello to Marco at the front desk. Be sure to check out the guest registry which goes back for years. <BR>I do not know where you are planning on dropping off your car. I do not remember seeing anywhere that you leave a car even if you could find your way into town. Taxi fare from the airport or the Avis location is only about 16,000 lira. <BR>FYI, we paid 360,000 L/night. You'll probably get a little better rate that late in the year. <BR>

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 05:02 AM
anne

Thanks again everyone- regarding the car in Florence- we were planning on driving from Nice but could just as easily take the train. Will it be an unnecessary burden to have the car in Florence? Siena sounds great- I think we'll do that for sure! <BR>

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 06:01 PM
steve

Once in Florence, there really is no need for a car. The historic area is all walkable and mostly restricted to auto traffic. There is plenty to see around Florence for which a car is handy. Drive to the Florence area and do your auto exploring first. Maybe stay one night in Sienna, Greve, or Fiesole. Then drive to Florence,get rid of the car, and have fun exploring from there on on foot.