Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel in Capri- why did you pick it or why I shouldn't?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally planned to do Venice, Rome, Florence, but have decided to go to Capri instead of Florence. Looking for a hotel for 1 night. I'd love to hear your favorites and ones we should stay clear of.

Thanks
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 03:12 PM

i dont know if you should go, but i will tell u that i was trying to book a hotel for the 13th and every hotel in town is booked! I tried for about two days straight, so im staying in naples instead. good luck!
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

My trip isn't until May 04 so hopefully I will find something. If there all booked I wouldn't be surprised as I've already gotten replies back from hotels in Venice that they don't have availability.

I assume your further in your research so would I be correct in saying there is no need to purchase ferry/boat tickets in advance from Naples to Capri?
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 03:41 PM

I like the Hotel Villa Brunella. Gorgeous views, large, well appointed rooms and baths with private terrace, on a quiet street lined with beautiful villas a short walk from the Piazzetta and a great restaurant and very friendly service.
No need to book advance tickets on the hydrofoil to Capri.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 03:49 PM

No need for advanced tickets for the ferry ride - we were there in May and it was very acessible. I would suggest that you try the Hotel Luna. It's a little pricier but it's a magical place with fantastic views of the Faraglioni rocks and the sea. There is a constant breeze that flows through the room balconies, sweet and soothing. It's really worth it if you are only there for 1 night. Also, the breakfast is delicious and included in the price.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:22 PM

Another vote for Luna, but make sure you ask for a seaview room. (Some of the standard rooms face an interior courtyard.) The hotel is only about a five minute walk from the main piazzetta, and has lovely rooms and an attentive staff. We just returned from a 3-day stay there, and also really enjoyed their gorgeous pool.

If Luna is booked, I'd look into Casa Morgano and Villa Brunella. We looked at rooms in both properties, and thought they looked very nice. Both hotels are also well-located, only about 10 min. from the main square.

Buon viaggio!
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

I'll check the other hotels mentioned here. If we are planning to take the train from Rome to Naples should this be purchased before we leave the US or just go to the train station in Rome a couple days before departure and purchase roundtrip at that time?

Thanks for all the great info.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to ask... I've seen Hotel Mamela mentioned a number of times, but unable to find a url for it. Anyone have it handy? Thx
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 03:11 AM
jmv

Lots of hotel options on caprionline.com If i recall correctly it includes Mamela
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 04:15 AM

In case you don't know it, it will take you between 3-4 hours to reach Capri from Rome or Venic, including having to transfer from the airport, car or the train in Naples to the ferry. You would then have to repeat the trip the next day, assuming you are flying out of Rome (4 hours from Capri by train or car, including ferry time.)

With only one nigbht, you also won't be able to see the Amalfi coast towns like Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello or spend any time in Pompeii. I don't think it is worth the time and effort to go to Capri for one night.

I would add one more day to Rome or Venice. Florence is not doable in one day either, IMO. Save Florence and the Amalfi coast for another time.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 04:51 AM

I totally agree with Cicerone. I wouldn't want to do all that traveling from Rome for one night in Capri, plus you won't be able to see any of the Amalfi Coast, which IMO, is much more interesting and dramatic than Capri anyway.

Can you cut from another part of your itinerary and add a day or two for the coast?

Good luck!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I've done a bit more research since you've replied and yes it will take about 3 hrs. We'd really like to get to Capri, even with all the transit involved. We thought if we can't do the overnight (which I've read is a must for Capri to really appreciate it) then we'll catch the earliest train from Rome and take the last ferry back.

We'd like to go back and do the Amalfi coast, Soprrento, etc.. on another trip. Certainly an excuse to go back!

Are advance reservations required for the Blue Grotto or recommended to make arrangements before we arrive?

Thanks again for all the feedback.