Hotel in Bellagio

Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:49 AM
Taline

Hotel in Bellagio

Hello,

I picked Bellagio as the place to stay for one night, in the Italian Lakes area.
Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay (hotel, B&B)?

Thank you!

Jul 23rd, 2001, 01:07 PM
Howard

I highly recommend the Belvedere. Your room will have a commanding view of the lake and you'll be taken care by a most gracious, cordial and helpful staff.
email: [email protected]

Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:58 PM
Rex

I am similarly very positive about the Grand Hotel Victoria in Menaggio (website address cited here on previous posts); it biggest drawback, compared to the Belvedere (or other properties that are IN Bellagio) - - is that it is "across the lake", 7 minutes away by ferry.

I believe that for that reason it offers a little more value for a little lower price.

I would never fault someone for wanting to be IN Bellagio - - in fact for a ONE night stay, this would only make sense.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jul 23rd, 2001, 03:04 PM
mary

We just stayed at the Hotel Florence in June. It was absolutely lovely overlooking the lake in Bellagio-- Our room had a wrap around balcony with beautiful views!! Try the Bilacus restaurant for dinner!!
Ciao!
Mary

Jul 24th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Cindy

I agree with Howard! The Hotel Belvedere has my vote. We just returned from our trip to Italy, and the Hotel Belvedere was our first stop. The views from the hotel are wonderful and the staff there were extremely helpful.

Jul 24th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Heather

Have you established a price range, or other specifics (i.e., view, restaurant)?

From a previous visit, I have a Bellagio brochure that lists all hotels. We went without a reservation (in March) and stayed at the Hotel Silvio (http://www.bellagiosilvio.com/home_en.html) which had a lovely view and a great restaurant. It isn't terribly fancy or anything but is a good place to stay (especially for the price). It is just outside of the town, but only a 5-10 minute walk or a quick drive.

Jul 24th, 2001, 01:38 PM
gary

We are staying at the Belvedere based on the great posts on this site. I was wondering what everyone recommends in terms of renting a car for a 2 day stay in Bellagio? Thanks.

Jul 24th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Bob

Good choice on the Belvedere. Ask for the rooms on Floor one (their floor two). The balconies are large and you can sit outside. The balconies above that level are small. Some people do not know this so it is worth asking for.

We had a rental car while there but did not use it that much except for a one day drive to Lugano. Otherwise we parked it and took the ferries for rides around to the other lakeside areas. We had our car when we arrived. I have used both Hertz and Auto Europe (a broker) with good success. Get the insurance while in Italy. Theft and break ins do occur and it saves the hassle.

Jul 24th, 2001, 05:51 PM
gab

I wouldn't bother with a rental car. You can take the ferry. Do visit Villa d'Este in Cernobbio, as well as the town of Varenna, during your stay.

Jul 24th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Howard

Bob, while you're right about the size of the balcony on the first floor, I found that you get a better view of the lake from the upper floors. Either way, however, you can't lose!

Jul 24th, 2001, 08:14 PM
Anita

I also vote for the Florence Hotel and Bilacus Ristorante in Bellagio.

Jul 25th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Mike

If you search on this forum, you will find a web site for Silvio's. It is a very cheap 2 star (L110,000 a night last year) - I make that extraordinary value. I actually preferred the restaurant to Bilacus. If you choose Bilacus to eat, reserve early if you want a table outside.

A few bearings might help you choose. The Belvedere ($$) has the advantage of being at the top of the hill (hence the views) - so you'll get a little fitter walking to and from (not a great distance). Silvio's ($) is right on the lake, just outside of the centre. Florence ($$), Du Lac ($$), Serbelloni ($$$) are right in the middle of town, again facing the lake.

Jan 24th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Kirsten

I was interested to see the posting about the Silvio as that was a "budget" B&B that I have been considering for our trip this June.

Has anyone actually stayed there and can vouch for it's comfort/cleanliness?
I know Italy and am not convinced of a ** hotel yet! I don't need luxury, but cleanliness is a MUST.

Thanks!