hotel in barcelona

Sep 13th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

hotel in barcelona

Hi
Is anyone familiar with the hotel taber in barcelona? also what area of madrid would be good to stay in? Id like a quiet area but not too far by metro to sights/rsts. thanks. joanne
Sep 13th, 2012, 11:06 AM

The location of the Taber is very good for exploring, (upscale) shopping and dining and bars.
Many sights like the Gaudí buildings in immediate neighborhood.
Have not stayed there so I cannot comment on the interior.
As the hotel is on a major thoroughfare, you should ask for rooms not facing the street if you decide to stay there.
Sep 13th, 2012, 12:07 PM

Madrid? I'm going there soon, I stay around plaza San Martin which is in-between two main streets so kind of quiet but it is very convenient (in-between Gran Via and Puerta del Sol). It's in the direction of the Opera and a fairly short walk to Plaza Mayor. I take metro to the museum area. Some people like the upscale area NE of the museum area, it is quieter I guess (than Gran Via, Plaza Mayor or Plaza Santa Ana etc areas more central). It can be more expensive up that way, though and it known as an upscale shopping area. I thought of staying there but I'm not really the upscale shopping area kind of person. I hate shopping and am not upscale. I'm going to check it out, though, to see what it seems like for future trips. That area is Salamanca.

This is the place I'm staying FWIW http://www.hotelpalaciosanmartin.es/
Sep 13th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Christina i tried to see what a room at your hotel is and it's all in Spanish. is there a way to translate it? I am not the upscale shopping type either. I dont shop much unless its for inexpensive crafts. what made you choose the place you did? i went to madrid 25 yrs ago and stayed somewhat near the prado but i dont remember where. i liked the quiet. i am a light sleeper.
any recommendations on hotels in barcelona too would be welcome.t hanks.
Sep 13th, 2012, 01:30 PM

<< is there a way to translate it? >>

Yeah - click on the word "English" at the top right.
Sep 13th, 2012, 02:26 PM

good idea. There is ENglish on the top bar in the far right corner you can click on but you have to wait a few seconds for it to appear, at least on my computer.

I chose it because that hotel is very nice but has very good rates for the quality, much cheaper than other hotels (I don't really know why). And it was off the main streets but very central, just those kind of reasons. I also do not like modern minimalist decor (the black and white stuff) and Madrid has become like many other European cities and a lot of hotels have redecorated that way. I hate it, and the San Martin still has some traditional furniture. Also, I'm older and not into bar hopping so didn't care about being out all night in bars around plaza Santa Ana, for example. I'm more the plaza Oriente at the Opera type.

In Barcelona I stayed in the hotel Jazz which I loved. It is very central so convenient for everything (transport, sightseeing, etc, restaurants, metro), but it was on a slightly side street so not as noisy as some. Still, that isn't a quiet area but I requested a room that overlooked a central "courtyard" and on an upper floor. They accommodated that request (I may have been on the top floor, at least 5 or 6) and while the view was not exciting, it was very very quiet as I didn't get the street noise. But it is right in the thick of things so the area itself is not quiet per se. H Jazz has modern decor but not the black and white stark stuff. This is the hotel http://www.hoteljazz.com/

There are others you could choose that would be in quieter areas in Barcelona, such as the one you were asking about probably. Actually, that is a good area, I wouldn't mind staying there.
Sep 13th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Christina. I'm not into bar hopping either and prefer traditional decor. Maybe I'll look into that hotel in Madrid. First I want to nail down Barcelona.