Hotel in Athens?

May 23rd, 2001, 06:01 PM
Lori

Hotel in Athens?

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel in Athens?

Thanks--Lori

May 23rd, 2001, 07:02 PM
Anna

The one's I found to be recommended the most when I was researching my trip are the Electra Palace and the Hotel Attalos. If you do a search you should find some posts on both. I'll be staying at the Electra Palace in a few weeks, so I can let you know how I I liked it when I get back.

May 24th, 2001, 04:34 AM
Monica

I returned from Greece last Monday and had a great time. Tony and I stayed at Attalos and we liked it. We were in room 511, which was on the back side of the building. Our room had twin beds, side-by-side, a very small bathroom (the bathroom door couldn't be opened all the way as it hit the front of the sink). Decent closet space with a safe; tv; a/c, which we used. A very nice size balcony with a view of the acropolis, if you stood at the rail. Other rooms had better views. There was a privacy wall between our balcony and the one next door. Great views from the roof top garden. There's a bar there, but when asked, we were told we could bring our own wine up to drink. It was great sitting up there at night looking at the lit up Acropolis. Our room was 19.000DR, or about $50 night, without breakfast.

See http://www.agn.gr/hotels/attalos/attalos.htm which has a photo of a room, which was similar to ours, but reversed.

It's in a good location, just 2 blocks north of the metro (Monastriaki) and the Plaka starts near the metro. The central market is about 2 blocks north of the hotel.

May 24th, 2001, 05:12 AM
Susan

Monica, I can't remember which room at the Attalos we were in - I know we had a pretty good view of the Acropolis. But you're right about the bathroom! I remember when you sat on the toilet, your knees hit the bathtub - and I'm short! It was absolutely the smallest bathroom we had on our trip. Breakfast was also not that special. But we were also pleased with the hotel - it was inexpensive and in a wonderful location.

May 24th, 2001, 05:27 AM
bobbie

We stayed at the Hotel Acropolis last June and had a nice room with two twin beds, TV, A/C, a bathroom that sounds much larger than the Attalos, although not enormous by any means. Very good breakfast and the most stunning view of the Acropolis from their roof garden. the rpice was about the same as I recall and very well located to the Plaka.

May 24th, 2001, 05:29 AM
Monica

Hi Susan,

Actually our bathroom was set up as follows: Door at center, toilet on left, with back towards bedroom, so it was weird sitting “backwards;” sink in middle, and tub/shower on right with window. The tub was tiny and had a “step” or sitting area, so there was hardly standing room. But we were able to deal with the small bathroom. As you said wonderful location! And yes, it was our smallest bathroom on our trip.

May 24th, 2001, 07:58 AM
mimi

We stayed at the three star Hotel Plaka located in the Plaka area. Found it in guide books and it was clean, good breakfast, balcony, rooms with view, surrounded by little restaurants. Last year it cost about $78, including everything.