Reload this Page >

Hotel Hermitage in Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2001, 01:50 PM
janelle

May be staying here for 2-4 nights. Has anybody been? Although it is a small, moderately priced hotel, I want to be sure we're not staying at a dive (honeymooning). Any other hotel recommendations for Florence?

Old May 18th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Lesli

Lots of favorable posts here - I've "topped" one thread for you. (To find more, type "hotel hermitage" into the search field and be patient!)

Old May 18th, 2001, 02:55 PM
mary

Although we did not stay there, we went to see it after some friends raved about the location. Great Location and seemed like a lovely small hotel with a beautiful roof garden!!! Enjoy Florence <BR>Mary

Old May 18th, 2001, 04:08 PM
janelle

Thanks, Mary & Leslie!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 06:11 PM
Anita

We stayed here for 5 nights in October 1999. I LOVED THIS HOTEL. There was street/scooter noise in the evening and early morning, but the view from our room of the Ponte Vecchio, Arno River and the Vasari Corridor was absolutely wonderful. (Views from rooms in the back of the hotel are of the Duomo and Campanile, and I've been told there is less noise.) Views from the charming lobby and roof-top terrace were even better -- looking toward the Pitti, Boboli Gardens, Belvedere from the lobby and a nearly 360-degree view from the terrace. Our bathroom was very small but nevertheless had a 2-person jacuzzi tub. Great after miles of walking and very romantic. Rooms are very nicely decorated; staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was basic continental, but you can order bacon and eggs for a small cost and the coffee was excellent. The hotel is close to everything, including some good restaurants and even a gelato shop on the ground floor. When you arrive at the hotel, look for the small sign on the wall at the top of the first set of stairs. It shows where the water rose to when Florence flooded in the 1960s. I'm sure there are other great hotels in Florence for honeymooners, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Hermitage. Like I said, I LOVE THIS HOTEL.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Pam

I just got back from a 5-day stay at the Hotel Hermitage (on my honeymoon as well), and I'm afraid I have to disagree about the raves. The Hermitage DOES have a great location, a lovely roof garden and great bathrooms. But our relatively expensive and smallish room was charmless (no views of the Arno for us), and the Front Desk really didn't care that we were on our honeymoon. While other hotels might welcome honeymooners with a fruit basket or a note in the room, we didn't get so much as a "congratulations" when we checked in. Though we booked 4 months in advance and were promised one of the better rooms (either in size or with a view), our (very polite) requests to upgrade once we checked in were ignored. The "double bed" turned out to be two twin beds pushed together...less than ideal for a honeymoon. And every time we tried to ask the front desk for advice on restaurants, etc...they'd just point (with a rather marked lack of interest) to brochures on the wall. It felt supremely impersonal. The atmosphere was also soured by fellow travellers - almost exclusively Americans, and many exceptionally loud talkers. (I know, this is not the hotel's fault, but if it attracts this kind of clientele it wouldn't be my first choice for a honeymoon.) The breakfast, too, was nothing to write to Fodors about. For $200 plus a night, I expect more than stale croissants and coffee (the Hermitage charges extra for juice, eggs, etc...) It's a small thing, but it felt less than gracious. <BR>Just my two cents... <BR>Pam

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 01:23 PM
jane

If you're worry about Hermitage and don't mind spending a little bit more, go for the Lungarno. The rooms are a bit small (as they seem to be most places in Europe) but it is absolutely lovely- I haven't found a hotel I enjoy more. The rooms right on the Arno are supposed to be the best, but they were all booked so we had a street facing room. As one of the books says you will feel like you are staying in a well appointed home that it is so true. <BR>Have a wonderful time.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:56 PM
kam

The Lungarno is our favorite in Florence. That said, please realize that all hotel rooms in Italy will tend to be smaller than what you might expect to find in major U.S. cities---that's reality, folks. The Hermitage has a wonderful reputation. I wonder if the poster's expectations were just too great? And, two twin beds pushed together (which is very common in Italy) equals one king sized bed and works for us. It's actually considered preferable to a "double" bed by the Italians. In all the times I've been to Italy (except perhaps in Rome or Milan), I can't remember ever having a king sized bed or a queen. All are either twins, together or not, or doubles. Anyone else???

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 06:02 PM
erin

If you want the fruit and champagne route, go to Vegas for your honeymoon. The Italians just don't do that thing. They also don't eat eggs and bacon for breakfast so you certainly will need to pay extra if you want those things. Are you travelling or are you wanting to find the US in Italy? You will get what you pay for and then go out and make your own fun in a fabulous city. You certainly haven't booked into a "dive". It's a nice and very well priced hotel.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 10:52 PM
kim

My husband and I spent several nights at the Hotel Galileo in Florence. A lovely little hotel. The room was a nice size, tile floor, queen size bed. Bathroom was marble. The view was to the street but we didn't spend a lot of time looking out the window. Close to restaurants, walking distance to sights and very pleasant hotel staff. Easy walk from train station. Georgio was the man in charge behind the desk and very proud of "his" hotel. Lovely breakfast in the morning with lots of Cappucino. Can't wait to go back.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 04:38 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

The Hermitage was a bargain when we stayed there 15 years ago but now is very overpriced for a 3 star pensione. <BR>Like everything---supply and demand.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Pam

Erin - you seem to have misinterpreted my position greatly. I was speaking more to the ungraciousness of the Hermitage. No, we were not expecting fruit baskets and champagne, but the smallest gesture of kindness is not too much to ask for, is it? And we are not egg and bacon eaters - contrary to your smug assumptions. We've stayed at heaps of small inns and hostels in Italy and elsewhere that provided better service (and breakfasts) for far less money. We also stayed at a lovely hotel in Lucca that showed this is NOT the standard. Though we booked it just weeks in advance, the Palazzo Alexander let us check in early, had snacks waiting for us in the room, and lent us brand-new bikes to toodle around the town. Their breakfast was not American, yet was heaps fresher, and they didn't nickle and dime us for a glass of juice or a small jug of yoghurt. All this without us "asking" for any special treatment. <BR>But I suppose you'd dismiss them as a "Vegas-style" operation as well?? <BR>

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 06:09 PM
orlando

My wife and I just returned from 2 weeks in Italy which we kicked off with 3 nights at the Hermitage. The hotel is certainly not a dump and is clean and well maintained. However, I agree completely with Pam. The hotel's best features are it's location (absolutely excellent), and it's charming public areas (rooftop terrace, breakfast room, and bar/sitting area. The staff is polite, but indifferent; the breakfast "options" the worst we had in Italy (the rolls became a great joke when we realized how similar they were to the building blocks used in the medieval/renaissance buildings), and, unless you have a very precise idea of which room to request and can get some guarantee that you will get it, chances are you'll get a dark, cramped room not worth looking out the window of. Another writer (Jane)is right about the Lungarno as a terrific alternative, but I doubt she has checked the prices recently; the Lungarno is considerably more expensive. In short, the Hermitage is OK, but it is certainly nothing special.