Reload this Page >

hat for Pompeii in late Sept?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 05:05 AM
elaine

I'll be doing a daytrip on my own, have read about the strong sun at some times of year. <BR>Any suggestions about needing a hat last week in Sept? Any ideas for an easily-packable not-too-ugly one? I'm not a baseball cap wearer.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 06:16 AM
carol

Hi Elaine, <BR> <BR>Since there's no shade whatsoever, I'd pack one of those flexible raffia (for lack of a better word)hats with a crown and round brim--you can find them in dept. stores all over NYC. You can fold them and they don't look too awful when you unpack them.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 04:53 PM
az

Just spent better part of a warm, brilliant, sunny day walking Pompeii last week w. my wife (who is super sun sensitive) w. no problem. There are few trees, but plenty of shade provided by the walls/buildings, plus you can walk inside a number of the buildings and be totally out of the sun. There is also a lovely shaded walk near the amphitheater (watch out for the tree roots). If all else fails, there will be several vendors at the entrance selling hats.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Jody

And those raffia or foldable straw hats are very chic!!

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Lisa

Hi elaine, <BR>Travelsmith.com have a few styles that are supposedly packable. Although I am wiating to see if the odd shape that mine took on after being rolled up, will come out with steaming.