HOTEL HELP: Rome/Florence/Venice

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 05:14 AM
kailyn

HOTEL HELP: Rome/Florence/Venice

My boyfriend and I are trying to plan a vacation in early April for 8 days in Rome, Venice and Florence. We are looking for hotels with a budget of $250 per night...Any suggestions? Also, any recommendations/tips on what to do at night (we are in our early 20's) would be greatly appreciated!

Another question--is there any advantage in using a travel agent as opposed to booking it all yourself? What is the best way to book?

Thanks so much!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 05:36 AM
elaine

kailyn
in my experience, and opinions can vary, the only advantage of using a travel agent is that sometimes they can figure out or have access to air fare deals that the rest of us don't know about. Perhaps that has changed since the internet entered our lives, I don't know.
When it comes to hotels and other arrangements I have never found one who was willing to do as much research as I am. You can always have them book everything after you've made your decisions.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Eileen

A reasonably priced hotel near the Vatican is Spring House. The best way to find hotels, in my experience, is to check out www.venere.it or www.itwg.it. You can make reservations through them, get back confirmations via-email. I did it four times in October and never had a problem.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Ken Slanker

Six of us stayed at the Hotel Porteghesi in the Central Historical district. About two blocks from Piazza Navonna. There were two groceries, a coffee shop and a bakery within about 50 yards. Very nice breakfast room on top of hotel. Loved it, want to go back. Just left on 1/4/2001.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Rex

Based on prior experience (numerous trips), I have recommended www.italyhotel.com often - - it has recently been "slicked up" - - and I don't like it as well as I once did (used to have a nice map on which you could click on towns you never heard of - - province by province - - seems to be gone now).

But hopefully, the "back end" is still just as good - - the reliability of the reservations system (and no less important, the cancellation of reservations you might choose to grab "tentatively" but later don't want).

I have never lost a penny using this website for well over a dozen reservations AND cancellations (as alluded to, above).

Whatever source of info you use, I recommend sending a fax clearly stating ## persons, ## beds in ## rooms, arriving day/month/year, departing day/month/year - - and stating simply that you will guarantee with credit card as soon as you receive a confirming fax back. This will let them know that you are serious, and any decent place will want you business, and answer you back, even if their English is broken.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Kailyn

Thanks for all your advice; I used venere.com and booked the Hotel Grand Plaza for Rome, the Rialto in Venice and Hotel Hermitage in Florence! All the hotels I contacted responded to my inquiries politely and very promptly.