Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel for Night before Heathrow Departure

May 10th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Need a hotel for family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids)for night before leaving England. Flight is at 9:35 am to Frankfurt from Heathrow.

We'll be staying outside of London (M25 @ J25), Cheshunt, Waltham Cross, Enfield area...

We're debating whether we should stay put for the last night and just get up early to get to the airport -- or stay somewhere closer for just that last night.

We've heard that construction and just typical M25 rush hour traffic could make the trip from Waltham Cross a long one (up to 2 hours maybe?)

However, staying at an airport hotel near Heathrow doesn't sound ideal, either.

Is there a middle ground that would still be a quick or easy cab ride to the airport?

We will not have a car. We are flying out on a Tuesday morning, if it makes a difference.

Recommendations, please! Thank you.
May 10th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Neopolitan

again, I'd consider a car service. We once had one meet us at 4:30 AM. When you get a quote on pick up you might check on the return. I'm unsure how long that drive would be.

May 10th, 2006, 08:10 PM

I'm sure a car service would be fine. But I like the security of being near the airport. Novotel Heathrow allows two free kids under 12, and possibly Sheraton and Marriott do as well.
May 10th, 2006, 10:02 PM

We stayed at the Heathrow Marriott last summer for 1 night (our flight arrived in the evening) before starting a weekly apartment rental. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids. The hotel was nicer than I expected. Plenty of room for the 4 of us.
May 10th, 2006, 10:40 PM

Junction 25 is a long way from LHR. You'll want to be at the airport by 7:30 or earlier. Now, early in the a.m. the M25 isn't nearly as bad as after 8:30 - but it is still a long drive.

I don't think staying out on the north side of the M25 the last night makes any sense - car service or not. There are so many decent hotels right at LHR, it would be much more convenient to stay there.
May 10th, 2006, 11:57 PM

I stayed at the Sheraton Skyline, booking it through Priceline, about a month ago, and was quite satisfied. If your kids are old enough to stay in a room by themselves, you might consider it (I paid a little over 40 pounds for the room). I've also stayed at the Radisson at Heathrow, booked normally, and liked it a lot, too.
May 11th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Have you check on the Ibis Heathrow? The Ibis hotels, owned by Accor, are basic but close and not too expensive.
May 11th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Or the Premier Travel Inn - rooms for 4 at good rates.
May 11th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Check out Harmondsworth Hall near Heathrow. Only 6 pounds for a taxi to Heathrow, and they will make the arrangements for the taxi for you-very near-lovely place. Just go to Harmondsworthhall.com. Gets some very nice reviews at tripadvisor.
May 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I'm convinced staying at the airport is the way to go. I'm looking into the hotel suggestions next!
May 12th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Try www.expedia.co.uk, click on Hotels only, and key in Heathrow as your destination. That will show you a selection of hotels near the airport.