Reload this Page >

hotel for a family in paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 05:10 AM
leslie

Help! I'm looking for a hotel in paris that will accomodate 2 parents and 2 children (11 and 6) in one room for less than $120/night.

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 05:29 AM
Jerald Hawkins

leslie, I'm in a similar boat. They are there but dates cloud them up in a hurry. Try Holiday Inn 1-800-holiday or @ www.basshotels.com, the H.I. Montparnase is listed @ 990F. Home Plaza St.Antone @$129.95@ www.Paris-Hotels. With small children try to find something near a Metro station because walking can tire the little ones & big ones out quickly. Good luck or as they say "bon chance"

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 04:57 PM
Jeff

Leslie, <BR>We're 2 parents and 2 children (13 and 9). We booked a room in the Latin Quarter through www.francehotelreservation.com. It's a qaud room with 2 single beds and a double bed. The name of the hotel is the Hotel Marignan. We're paying 720 FF/night (about $120 US).

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 08:28 AM
Jerald

Leslie & Jeff, Be aware that the Hotel Marignan is only a one star hotel.My personal experience is that 3 stars in Paris is a minimum. Motel6 would probably get a 5star rating over there.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 09:58 AM
elaine

I respectfully disagree with the above posting. I have not stayed in 1 star hotels, but many people are happy with one and two star hotels, it depends what you require and what you expect. Just don't make assumptions about amenities that would be guaranteed in most place in the US, like air conditioning, wash cloths, tissues, elevators, private bathrooms, etc. <BR>Also, hotel group websites can be very helpful, but <BR>I suggest checking current rates directly at the individual hotels, whether by emails or fax. Sometimes you can get a cheaper rate by contacting the hotel directly.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 10:43 AM
Justin

I have frequently stayed at the Hotel Atlantique very near the Gare Montparnasse and I think that it would be good for children. The hotel is clean, inexpensive (400-500 FF a night), and it is in a quite, safe neighborhood with quick access to the Metro and the RER. Nobody at this hotel speaks English, but they are really friendly and very helpfull. <BR> <BR>Hotel Atlantique <BR>54 rue Falguiere (corner of Blvd Pasteur and Flaguiere.) <BR>tel: 43-20-70-70 <BR> <BR>Hope this helps!

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 03:03 PM
AMIK

The NOVOTEL Gare De Lion, which is next to a big train station and the Merto, about 15 minutes ride from Champs Elisee. It's a bit more expensive, around $150 a night, but it's modern, clean, quiet, has large rooms, indoor pool and good buffet breakfast (not included). We stayed there 3 years ago and it was a very good choice. Their US phone is 800-NOVOTEL. <BR>Amik

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 05:49 AM
laneturner

Hi, I just booked a standard triple in the Latin Quarter w/air and pri. bath at Hotel Clement,6 Rue Clement. $115.00 pnt.Two adults,1child metro across the street-Mabillion in case you have a map.I booked on the internet France.com and click on hotels. If the children are under 12 they can stay in your room. The hotel is in an excellent location for site seeing and restaurants.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 09:40 AM
Margo

MARIGNAN: 13, rue Sommerard. Tel: 0143546381. (30 rms., 12 w/toilet & bath or shower.) 475-555F/72-85EUR double; 610-670F/93-102EUR triple; 700-1040F/107-159EUR quad. Call for quint rates. Breakfast (8-10:30am) is included in the rates & cannot be deducted. Cash only. (They will accept a U.S. personal check as a deposit only.) Excellent English spoken (Elizabeth), no phone, no TV, basic pleasant hotel w/old-fashioned furnished basic no-frills large rms., high ceilings, #1 (double bed, 3 twin beds, large bathroom w/bathtub & faces street) is for a family; free basement laundry & ironing facilities, bring your own food to their dining room w/free limited kitchen access (cooker, microwave & fridge), the rms. with no showers/toilets are cheaper, read the rules next to the reception desk, no elevator, 6 flrs. Owned by Mr. Keniger and managed by Elizabeth. Métro: Maubert-Mutualité.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 10:42 AM
Nancy

My friend liked The Grand Hotel Jeanne-d'Arc (3 rue de Jarente, 75004; PHONE 01--48--87--62--11, FAX: 01--48--87--37--31), in the Marais near the place des Vosges. Rooms are on the spartan side, but are clean, well-maintained, and fairly spacious (some have a couch) quadruples for under 600 frs. The staff, too, is friendly.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 10:59 AM
Ada

Another vote for the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc. <BR>It is a sweet little hotel in a quiet neighborhood, and Very reasonably priced. <BR>Ada <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 11:01 AM
Christina

I don't think a lot of people find one star hotels acceptable. They are very basic (which often translates into ugly) and not what most people beyond the age of 25 would want. Two stars can be okay, although I agree if you can afford it, three star hotels generally make for a nicer experience for only a small amount more. I've stayed in one okay two-star and several that gave me the creeps or were like Motel 6 (formica furniture, TVs chained to the wall, linoleum floors, etc). I myself compromise by not staying in the most expensive areas and get much better value in a three-star hotel at a moderate price, apparently, as I pay less than the 600-700F some people in another post said was not very likely for a three star--if you don't stay in the most expensive tourist areas, you can get a 3 star hotel for a 2 star price. Jerald's warning on the Hotel Marignan was appropriate, I think, as it does not have a very good reputation in any guidebook I've read, and is not going to be very nice; plus a BIG thing is they don't accept credit cards, so you have to be prepared for that. As long as one understands it's perhaps the equivalent of a hostel or a college dorm, okay. That booking site charges a fee, also, which I would never do for any hotel, but espec one-stars. To be honest, I'm rather shocked that the Hotel Marignan charges 720F for a quad, that seems overpriced to me for that hotel. I usually stay in the Montparnasse area, around the bd, but you can get decent bargains in other areas in that quartier -- I get several Parisian newsletters/magazines and know the Hotel du Parc Montsouris, for example, right near the Cite Universitaire metro stop is a two star hotel, small, nothing glamorous but just as good or better than the Marignan from what I've read (and seen on their WEBsites and in person, at least from the outside), and it has a quad (2 connecting rms) incl. private bathroom +TV, etc for only 550F. I would prefer it for a family myself, as it's right next to Parc Montsouris which is nice for kids, and right near the Cite Universitaire campus which is also good for a walk/run etc. It's about 15 min from central city by RER; it's true that's not quite as convenient as the Marignan. (BTW, that WEBsite with the Marignan charges a stiff booking fee, I'd rather spend my money on getting a better hotel). Also, the Familia (5th arr) and Castex (4th arr) are both well-regarded budget hotels (both are two stars I think) and both have quads from about 550 to 725F (the Familia. Another decent budget hotel is the Jeanne d'Arc in the Marais and it has a quad for 600F or less. I'd choose any of those over the Marignan, and I think they are all better rated, and all accept credit cards. I know Familia, Castex and J d'Arc are around on various hotel WEBsites, here's the Parc du Montsouris itself www.hotel-parc-montsouris.com