Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Athens for 3 full days...suggested itineraries?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 03:29 PM
Shelly

My husband and I will be in Athens for 3 full days before we will go on to Mykonos and Santorini. From what I understand, one day is more than enough to take in the Acropolis and other sights in Athens. Does anyone have some good suggestions for day-trips out of Athens, or a possible overnight excursion that wouldn't be difficult to arrange? Or am I wrong and should instead spend the time in the city? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 03:51 PM
Carol

I was in Athens in June of 98 and 10 days there wasn't enough. From hotels you can book tours that come right to the hotel to pick you up and drop you off. I recommend CHAT tours, they were the best. We took a day cruise to the islands of Hydra, Poros and another one that escapes me now but it was very nice for about $60. We liked it so much, we did it twice. Then we took a day trip to Delphi which was wonderful with a guide that speaks many languages and really knows her Greek history. The countryside is magnificent. We also took a tour to Epidaurus where the theater is. These day tours are $60 and can be booked the night before from the hotel. You can also go to Cape Sounion to see the sunset over the cape there, it's wonderful, that was about $30 as it's a shorter trip for 4 hours or so. I'd go back anytime. It was all so wonderful there. The day tours included lunch and they were on air conditioned buses with ample time for sightseeing while there and going into any gift places. Have a wonderful time. <BR>Carol

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 04:15 PM
Risa

As someone who has been to Athens many times, I would definitely agree with the advice Carol gave. Sounion is beautiful, Delphi is a must, Hydra is a carless island and a former artist colony that has lots of charm. I've never been to Olympia or Meterora but that might be a consideration for you. Enjoy your travels to Greece. It's a wonderful country!

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 05:55 PM
Joanna

How I would love to be "stuck" in Athens for 3 days. Haven't been there since May '87 but loved every minute. Sure its a bit grimy but it didn't worry me. The Acropolis is worth at least 1/2 day, taking in the Acropolis Museum as well. Then there's the Agora, Agora Museum, a little old Greek Orthodox church in the grounds of the Agora, the Roman Agora, the Keramaikos (ancient cemetary) and its museum, the National Museum, which has all the Minoan frescoes from Crete, the glorious gold from the Mycenean civilisation (so-called Mask of Agamemnon, Vaphio cups, etc.), not to mention the famous "Zeus" or "Poseidon" bronze statue (my money's on it being Poseidon, as it was found in the sea - a sacrifice to the god? and looks as if he were throwing his trident). Not to mention a glorious collection of jewellry from ancient times on. There's the Monastiraki market, the tiny old orthodox cathedral next door to the newer one, both of which are worth a look. There's the Benaki Museum, which I didn't get to unfortunately (Byzantine). The ruins of the Temple of Olympian Zeus, Herodes Atticus theatre, Temple of Dionysus. Mt. Lycabettos to climb (fabulous view of the city from here - or take the funicular if you don't want to walk it). A wander through the streets of Plaka at any time of the day or night - lots of good quality silver souvenirs (Greek meander pattern jewellry if you fancy it) or copies of ancient pottery and bronzes. The Son et Lumiere may be corny but great to see the temples lit at night. There are probably lots of things I've forgotten in the 13 years since I visited. Day trips - the previous posters mentioned some good ones. As you are heading off to the islands I would recommend the "land based" day trips, particularly Delphi.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 06:52 PM
April

Also, try not to miss the Evzones in Athens, near Syntagma Sq.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 11:13 AM
Heather

You could do worse than visit Agistri, a small, green and fragrant island about 2 hours by ferry from Piraeus (or 1 hour by catamaran, if it's running). We always use this as a bolthole from Athens when returning from further flung islands before we catch the plane home. It is very quiet, with few package tourists but does get quite busy at the weekends when the Athenians come to get away from the heat and pollution of the city. <BR> <BR>We always stay at the Hotel Alkyoni (tel: 0297 91377 within Greece) or the Agistri Club (www.AgistriClub.com)- the web-site is an excellent source of information about the island. Both are situated on a headland to the left of the port of Skala with direct views across the sea to Aegina. They each have nice rooms and serve excellent food. The atmosphere at the Agistri Club in the evenings is probably better. <BR> <BR>The island is small enough to explore in a day and mopeds are available to hire from a couple of places in the village.