Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Esprit St. German vs Hotel D' Aubusson

Old Feb 12th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a hotel on the Left Bank for a first trip to Paris with my teenage daughter. We'll be traveling at the beginning of August and I am considering both the Esprit St. Germain and Hotel D'Aubusson. D'Aubusson has a good summer promotion; Esprit was willing to offer a lower summer rate but is still a good deal more than D'Aubusson. Anyone have any experience with either of these hotels? I am looking at a room with sit out balcony at Esprit and it is tempting to have the balcony but on the other hand, I think the rooms are a good deal smaller and that's a trade off. Any thoughts or other suggestions would be very welcome!
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 03:27 PM

I don't see that there is much difference in the size of either of their classic rooms, both are on the small size. The Prestige Room with the private terrace at the Esprit St. Germain is hard to beat.

If the D'Aubusson is offering that much better of a rate, then it might not be a bad decision on your part, but my personal preference is the Esprit St. Germain because of it's outstanding personal service and excellent location.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 03:35 PM

I would trade a smaller room for a balcony!
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the opinions from you both. From the info I have been gathering, the Esprit seems to be very personal which is terrific. A balcony in summer in Paris,,,, well what more could I ask for? I just had a bit of a tug because of price so decided to throw it out there for anyone with experience. In case, someone wrote and said hands down the D'Aubusson was amazing.

As of today, my mother has decided to join us so perhaps we will do one Prestige with balcony which will be a lovely spot to share breakfast and one Superior room which I think is slightly larger than the Classic so my mother doesn't feel like she is in a box for 6 nights!

Many thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 12:20 PM

Lauren, if you're not wedded to staying in a hotel, you might want to consider renting an apartment. At this price point, you should be able find something lovely, with balcony, to accommodate three women in luxury. You'll need to ensure that the apt. is air conditioned, since your visit is in August. Of course, it all depends on your comfort level, but I just thought I'd throw that out there. EJ