Reload this Page >

Hotel Elite in Prague - comments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:02 AM
kg

Has anyone has stayed at the Hotel Elite in Prague? They have this rather good on-line offer and I was wondering if there's a catch to it! Appreciate if you have any comments or experiences to share. Thanks

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 11:19 AM
jason

You might fond the location is a catch. Most rightminded people avoid Narodni Trida metro station after dark as it attracts a fruity crowd. The Hotel is only 50m away from the metro and although it can be accessed from a side street I wouldn't recommend it as this is a pretty lonely street at night.<BR><BR>Great during the day though.<BR><BR>Jason

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:18 PM
hmmm

Fruity? As in gay?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:32 PM
kg

Thanks Jason! But to clarify - do you mean that Hotel Elite is situated in a gay area? If so, I've no problems with that - but is the area safe? I'll be renting a car (I'm covering Vienna and Budapest as well) so I'm not too worried bout taking the metro at night. <BR><BR>Thanks again for your help! <BR>Karen

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Christina

I don't know what Jason means about that being a fruity area but it isn't a gay area of Prague in any noticeable way in comparison to areas known that way in some other cities. It's one of the main metro stations in the main downtown area near the National Theater and a well-known (cheap) dept store. That tram stop is the one you use to get across the river so all kinds of people wait there. There are other gay bars more around the Muzeum stop it seems to me, as well as other parts of Prague, from what I've read. Anyway, I don't know what he meant but I wouldn't want to stay around that metro stop gay or straight -- it's just not a pleasant area to stay right in the middle of main business areas and that Tesco dept. store isn't so nice. YOu just don't want to stay in hotels around main metro/tram stops in urban areas down narrow side streets. That is a prime congested area, I don't think you will find it very convenient to be driving a car around town as a tourist in any big city, it's just not a good idea, but if you do, I think there are much better places to stay to keep a car. I suspect Jason just meant the idea is dicey or sketchy at night. There is more pickpocketing around there also because so many tourists ride that tram across the river to the castle.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 02:26 AM
kg

Thanks Christina for your feedback. Will now look for alternative accommodation! Leaving next week though...