Search

Hotel du Lys recent stay

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:50 AM
jpf
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel du Lys recent stay

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel du Lys recently? Trip Advisor just posted a very negative review. Past posts from Fodorites and Trip Advisor have been favorable. Several of us have upcoming reservations there and would appreciate your input.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:39 AM

Hi jpf,

I am going there next week (staying the weekend), and that TripAdvisor review was certainly bad. But as it will only be a weekend, it canīt really be that bad

Iīll be back on the 17th, if you can wait until then.

Rgds, Cova
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Cova, please do let us know about your experience at du Lys. I am always singing the praises of that little hotel after several stays there (and having recommended it to others, who were pleased, also) and was shocked to read the TA review about it being dirty.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:54 AM

Please let US know ..
I have a reservation for June.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 09:43 AM
jpf
Original Poster

Thanks, Cova. Hope you have a great time.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 09:48 AM

I don't know if it's still true, but several years ago I learned that there were at least two hotels in Paris with du Lys in their name. Everyone seemed to like the one on rue Serpente and everyone seemed to dislike the other one. If there still are two, I wonder if the person on tripadvisor was confusing the two? I found that happened once before on tripadvisor, I read a hotel review and in the review the person mentioned the name of the 'noisy' street, and it was not the street the hotel in question was located on, the person had mixed up the name of the hotel.

As another example, Paris has more than one hotel with "Jeanne d'Arc" in its name.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 09:57 AM

and one bad report does not a dump make...

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:19 AM

And the Trip Advisor reviewer talked about the staff being "extremely friendly"; I think saying the staff are cordial and helpful is more accurate. "Extremely friendly" connotes, to me, an exuberance I have never experienced.

I have to think this reviewer must be someone who was quite disgruntled about another matter.

I have to see the dirt myself before I believe it!

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Grandmere, as a rule I dont pay attention if only one person badmouth an establishment..Now if there are others telling the same, then is a different story..
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:06 PM

I agree, kismetchimera; I know I'm reacting as though I am taking this personally!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:51 AM
jpf
Original Poster

Elaine: In this case I don't think it's a question of another du Lys. The reviewer referenced a specific room from the website of the du Lys on Serpente.

BTW, it took me a while to realize there were 2 Jeanne d'Arc hotels.

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Hi all,
I will let you know once I get back. I have learned over the years to take the TripAdvisor recs with a pinch of salt and it has worked fine.

Most of the opinions there sounded pretty similar to what Grandmere has previously written, and their price was right for a single.

Rgds, Cova
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 12:26 PM

I have stayed in one of (don't know how many they have?) their singles, Cova. Great thing about it is that it was just one flight up the spiral staircase. There was no view (window opens onto a space that is outdoors but hemmed in on all sides by buildings), but as you say, the price is right! And a quirky little bathroom configuration!

Have a good trip, if we don't post again before that!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 07:02 AM

Well, I am back.
I stayed at nr 12, in the 2nd floor (it seemed that they were renovating the first floor). I think they have around 6 or 7 individual rooms, and I think that all of the individuals open onto a small interior courtyard. My room was small, but with a big, hard bed and a renovated bathroom (bath, but wonderful Grohe appliances). It was painted in blue with tiny red roses and a high wood-beamed ceiling.

The first day I had breakfast in the room (and no, they didnīt make me bring down the tray after I finished ... I wonder if the people posting in tripadvisor didnīt understand the man, because he couldnīt speak french at all ...), and on Sunday I had breakfast downstairs with one of my friends who was also staying there. We enjoyed the big black Labrador looking at you and pleading for a bit of croissant ...

It was clean and I would have liked maybe stronger light bulbs (but I guess they were the same low-consume ones we use at home, so I am used to that). The stairs are a bit difficult to climb if you have mobility problems, but I was fine going up and down.
The owner was there every morning, and although all of them were polite and efficient ( I speak fluent french and we talked about my hometown for a long time ), I wouldnīt call them "extremely friendly" ( I donīt really like that expression ).

BTW, we had dinner at Allard on Saturday, and it was great

Bye, Covadonga
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 07:32 AM

Cova, it's good to hear a good up-to-date report about the du Lys. It sounds like the hotel I know, down to the staff being helpful, but not "extremely friendly." And I never thought cleanliness was an issue.

I'm glad you liked Allard, too; so convenient to the hotel. What did you have for dinner, if I may ask? The duck, absolutely smothered with green onions looked good; I will try it next time!

Thanks for posting so promptly after your return!

G-mere

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Wow--I am so glad to learn that I am not the only person who looks at bathroom fixtures when I travel . I would have noticed the Grohe, too--that's what we have at home.

Good to hear that the Hotel du Lys met your expectations and that grandmere can continue singing its praises.

It seems that almost every Paris hotel on TripAdvisor--especially the popular ** and *** independent and boutique hotels--has at least one wackily negative review. There's one on there from someone who said that their room at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles had bedbugs. I've stayed at the HGE, and while it's not my favorite hotel in Paris, I did enjoy it and everything was spotless. It's hard for me to imagine that kind of problem there. Sometimes I think there's a crank on TripAdvisor. . .
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Just re-read my last post; duck was covered with green olives; don't know where the onions came into the picture. Senior moment, I guess!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:42 PM
jpf
Original Poster

Thanks, Cova, for all the details. We hope you had a great time! The hotel sounds just as grandmere described.

We have a reservation mid April; I'll follow-up with a report on their triple and any ongoing/completed renovations.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Welcome back Cova and thanks for the latest update of the Du Lys.

jpf, please let me know about the triple room, I have a reservation for June..
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Hi Elle,

I think that bathroom fixtures are very, very important in a hotel A good shower can save you after a long day sightseeing ... On top of that, we are changing the bathroom, so we look at every single place to get ideas

Grandmere, we had beet and mache salad, green beans and magret de canard salas and foie-gras as entrées. Then one of my friends ordered coq-au-vin, I had entrecote, and the other couple had the duck. For dessert there were two charlotte au chocolat, and two Paris-Brest (and that Paris-Brest was way too good).

BTW, I did the booking with the french side of www.reservethebest.com , without any problem, and a very fast answer.

Rgds, Covadonga

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -