Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Del Senato or Hotel Santa Chiara-Rome

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (husband and wife) are going to Rome in May and have narrowed our hotels to the Del Senato or Santa Chiara. Any advice as to which hotel?
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM

My husband and I have stayed at Hotel del Senato twice over the past few years and we love it. The location is fabulous (ask for a room overlooking the Piazza). In the morning, you can watch the Piazza go from deserted to filled with vendors, tours, and pedestrians. The windows are double-paned so there is no noise. In the evening, go up to the roof bar. You can see the cupola of St. Peter's lit up in the distance.

Breakfast at the hotel is excellent. All of the staff is very accommodating. The deskman actually came out into the street to show us where Armando al Pantheon restaurant is located (don't miss it. The food is wonderful and reasonably priced - although the waitstaff doesn't speak much English). Note that because the hotel is located in a pedestrian zone, the taxi driver will have to help carry your bags from the street to the hotel entrance - or you can get someone from the hotel to help you - it's only a few steps.

It is also delightful to wander into the Pantheon when the crowds have dispersed and to enjoy this marvelous structure in peace.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. I was concerned about the noise from the Piazza. I have read about Armando and will make a reservation to eat there. We are only staying in Rome a couple of nights as we are going on a cruise - probably will have too much luggage so we'll have to tip the taxi driver well! We were in Rome about 4 years ago and saw a lot of the sights. We are now looking forward to people watching and going back to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. Hotel del Senato sounds like a good place to people watch.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:02 PM

"Del Senato or Santa Chiara. Any advice as to which hotel? "

How do you like your hot chocolate? Do you prefer Ovaltine or nothing but L'Ancienne topped with real whipped cream? Del Senato is decorated while Santa Chiara is understated. Santa Chiara reminds me of a Catholic Parish House in an upscale neighborhood. Del Senato reminds me of a wealthy, sensuous home owner.

Santa Chiara is more quiet than del Senato. Piazza della Rotunda is an all-night gathering place. If you're like me and you like to sleep with the windows open in May, you'll need ear plugs and Xanax if you get a room with a view at del Senato. The sleeping is better at Santa Chiara but the feel is very different.

A favorite hangout in Piazza della Rotunda is the infamous Bar Pantheon. It is located on the ground floor of Albergo del Senato. The albergo's entrance is to the right of the bar.
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/279...84879810afXWZq

If you can get a table, you're likely to rub elbows with some very famous travelers. Take a second look at all those people wearing sunglasses. The hustle and bustle of outdoor bar tables can bother you depending on where your room is located in the albergo. I don't believe the bar is open after midnight in May.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:22 PM

There is another very good option that my wife prefers--The Albergo Cesari. Same ballpark location but more private.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:30 PM

I stayed in Santa Chiara. Quiet depends on where the room faces. Same is probably true for Del Senato. We stayed in March, but during a hot spell. A/C for the building wasn't on yet. We basically ahd 2 options, sleep in a quiet room but uncomfortable hot, or sleep in a more comfortable room, but street noise that seem to go on forever. Needless to say, we didn't sleep well. If I remeber correctly (this was a few years back), our room faced Via Argentina (sp?).

A/C will probably be on in May. You may want to ask that in either hotel to make sure.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the input. I'll make sure to check on the A/C wherever we stay.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 02:52 PM

"Quiet depends on where the room faces."

Always. Rooms with a street view are rarely quiet, especially if the street is an Italian piazza. I must have a view and preferably one with a terrace. What can I say, my home has both so I want my home away from home to be as perfect as possible. I never travel to Italy's big cities without ear plugs. No place I've stayed in Rome is quite as quiet as my NYC apartment.